UKC

Softshell alpine trousers with zip vents?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 7W18b6eG5h 23 Oct 2010
Hello,

Does anyone know of any company that makes softshell trousers with zip vents? I saw a pair this summer, they were made by a eastern european climbing company but I can't remember the name.

Cheers
 ankyo 23 Oct 2010
In reply to 01graylj: Decathlon do
ice.solo 23 Oct 2010
In reply to 01graylj:

mountain hardwear. synchos maybe.
 Damo 23 Oct 2010
In reply to 01graylj:

Both Patagonia Mixmaster and Mammut Castor softshell pants have zip vents, but both are now hard to get.

Mountain equipment G2 mountain pants.
 uncontrollable 23 Oct 2010
In reply to 01graylj:

Montane Terra Pants
 ankyo 23 Oct 2010
In reply to uncontrollable:
> (In reply to 01graylj)
>
> Montane Terra Pants

They're not softshell are they?

Mr Lopez 23 Oct 2010
In reply to 01graylj:

Hey Lewis. Replied to your e-mail, but for the thread's sake these are the pants http://www.directalpine.com/en/g31203-pants-eiger-softshell
 Paulcmountain 23 Oct 2010
In reply to 01graylj:

What size are you ? I have a pair of these in a Large (36 waist) brand new, with tags, got the wrong size duering the winter and never got around to taking them back. Retail £120, and will happily sell them for £50 plus £5 p and p

http://www.upandunder.org.uk/p12599/DIFFUSION-SOFT-SHELL-PANT/b0-650-650
 uncontrollable 23 Oct 2010
In reply to ankyo:
washed with nikwax they work pretty well in most conditions.
put a baselayer under when it get's cold.
OP 7W18b6eG5h 24 Oct 2010
In reply to Paulcmountain: Sorry not my size
 MtnGeekUK 24 Oct 2010
In reply to 01graylj:

The Quechua pants look great - does anyone know if they have belt loops and are the braces removeable?

Apart from this, these look PERFECT for me!!!
In reply to si_pritch:

Had a quick look at the Bionnassay Alpine trs in the newly-opened Reading Decathlon. Looked good fabric and build, but too heavy for my needs (I don't want full-on alpine trs).

No evidence of belt loops, but the braces are removable. It wouldn't be too hard to add belt loops, I think. Fantastic value for £40.
 MtnGeekUK 25 Oct 2010
In reply to Kai:

Somebody else mentioned these on the outdoorsmagic.com forums. Thing is, you can only get them shipped to mainland US - so without a friend willing to accept and then forward on, can't take advantage of the "web special".

Captain Paranoia - would you say they are comparible to something like the ME G2 pants?
 pyrrho101 25 Oct 2010
In reply to si_pritch: I've got both the G2 and the Decathlon trousers. I opt for the Decathlon ones every time. Although the fabric is heavier, the vent zips actually work (as opposed to the useless ME ones). Apart from the fabric weight, they are very similar.
 Damo 25 Oct 2010
In reply to si_pritch:
> (In reply to Kai)
>
> Somebody else mentioned these on the outdoorsmagic.com forums. Thing is, you can only get them shipped to mainland US -

did you try the Diamondbacktactical.com link I put in the other thread on here about the mixmasters? they ship overseas.
 More-On 26 Oct 2010
In reply to captain paranoia:
> (In reply to si_pritch)
>
> Had a quick look at the Bionnassay Alpine trs in the newly-opened Reading Decathlon. Looked good fabric and build, but too heavy for my needs (I don't want full-on alpine trs).
>
> No evidence of belt loops, but the braces are removable. It wouldn't be too hard to add belt loops, I think. Fantastic value for £40.

They really are great trousers. They may seem heavy but the built in gaiters suit me well and the reinforcement should ward off the odd crampon scuff. I'd also say you don't need belt loops - I was really set on adding some, but several weekends of wear have converted me to keeping the braces on as they don't interfere with hip belt or harness. And has been said elsewhere the zip vents actually work.
In reply to si_pritch:

> Captain Paranoia - would you say they are comparible to something like the ME G2 pants?

No, since the fabrics are different flavours of soft shell. The Decathlon trousers are (I'm pretty sure, and would welcome confirmation) in a dual-weave, robust stretch soft shell, with no membrane. The G2s are Windstopper, so have a membrane. This may, or may not be what you want, depending on your need for breathability vs weather protection.

The Decathlons are closer to something like the Mammut Base Jump or Champ, or Patagonia Backcountry Guide pant (less the waterproof knee and seat).
In reply to More-On:

> They really are great trousers.

I only had chance to get a very quick look, and I intend to go back for a closer look... I'm tempted to get a pair for skiing, but I'd need to check that they'd go over a ski boot; you need a pretty big ankle opening for that...
 Oceanic 26 Oct 2010
> (In reply to More-On)
>
> [...]
>
> I only had chance to get a very quick look, and I intend to go back for a closer look... I'm tempted to get a pair for skiing, but I'd need to check that they'd go over a ski boot; you need a pretty big ankle opening for that...

They do fit comfortably over ski boots. I've worn a pair (with or without a pair of Marmot Driclime pants underneath) on my last 4 ski trips.

Oh, and in answer to your earlier point - no membrane.

In reply to Oceanic:

Cheers on both points...

<temptation building...>

<succumbs to temptation>
 mark burley 29 Oct 2010
and.....what they like?
 MtnGeekUK 30 Oct 2010

Me too...

Will let you know when they arrive!!!
In reply to mark burley:

> and.....what they like?

Pretty good. Especially for £40. Equivalent in 'named brands' would be £100-£120, I think.

4-way stretch, dual weave shell fabric; fairly thick, and seems pretty wind resistant, allowing some air through if you blow against the fabric (the 'kiss test'...).
Reinforced ankles patches and velcro ankle cuff adjust, and zipped ankle.
Zipped side vents are mesh-backed, and have decent anti-snag plackets.
Braces are removeable, but are a bit long for me (a short back).
Fit seems good, and a pair of PowerStretch tights fits underneath mine okay.
I had to go for a M, as the S was too snug (I'm 32"W). The length is a tad long for me, but will be okay over ski boots, which do fit. The M weighs exactly 800g.
The snow gaiter is waterproof below, and stretch fabric above, and can be zipped out.
All pockets are zipped and lined with microfibre.

Build quality seems good, with decent, overlocked seams. The finish of the ankle zip ends could be a bit better.

All this off the top of my head. I'll try to remember to do a 'review' tonight, and make some notes.

> All this off the top of my head. I'll try to remember to do a 'review' tonight, and make some notes.

Here goes. Not a great deal more detail...

Nylon outer, polyester inner, 4-way stretch soft shell fabric, with a ribbed, rather than fluffy inner face.
Fabric is slightly more wind resistant than Schoeller Dynamic, I'd say.

Cut uses a yoke-back seat (a 'jeans cut'), with twin seat panels, allowing articulated seat seam.
Articulated knees, with twin shaping gussets.
There's no crotch gusset, but the cut is good, and the stretch fabric probably makes a gusset unnecessary.

Waist is elasticated only at sides, leaving back and front flat.
Waist has ony a single popper; two may have been more secure.
Double-ended fly zip.
Brace fittings are recessed into waistband; single at rear, two at front. Attachment point could be stronger.
Braces have velcro length adjust at front and rear, and have elastication in all three 'Y' arms.

Side vents have single ended (bottom up) zip, with good anti-snag design. Mesh lined.

Ankles have reinforced ski/crampon patches.
Half-length ankle zip on outside of trouser leg, with velcro strap closure.
Zip end finishing could be better.
Internal ankle gaiter uses waterproof lower section, with velcro fastening, and a stretch fabric upper section.
Gaiter can be unzipped, leaving a protective palcket behind to reduce chafing.
Gaiter has front lace hook and rear popper (purpose unknown).

There are two zipped, hip pockets which a micropile lined.
A single zipped thigh pocket on the right leg is unlined.

Zips throughout are YKK, reversed, with pull tags on hip pocket and vent zips.
ylem 23 Nov 2010
Does anyone know where to biy Quechua pants online?
Thank you.
 Andy_B39 23 Nov 2010
In reply to 01graylj: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/bionnassay-trousers-8279384/
If you select a store and then check the availability of your size, you can then order online from that store.
 vscott 23 Nov 2010
In reply to 01graylj: Worth taking a look at the rab exodus pants - http://www.rab.uk.com/clothing/soft_shell/exodus_pants---280/ really well featured: thigh vents, loops to rig an underboot elastic etc.. + great fabric and good price.
 wazzalad20 23 Nov 2010
In reply to vscott: Try the Rab fusion pants they are the best on the market in my opinion. Amazing condensation control, weather/ water protection and they are bomb proof.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...