UKC

Best running accidents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 25 Oct 2010
I am in pain at the moment.

Spiked something hard on a very unforgiving bit of a cross country course on Saturday and went down hard, badly bent spike, multiple wounds on three of my four limbs and a very sore shoulder, I finished the race (5k ish to go) about a minute and a half down on what I would expect, but not feeling too bad. It was only when I cooled down that I noticed the swelling and the pain.

How about you?
 Banned User 77 25 Oct 2010
In reply to The New NickB: Jumped a ditch in New Zealand, a snapped sapling went stright through my calf. 6 km hop out followed, so did a week in hospital and the wound became infected. At one point they were considering skinnging the area to expose the anaerobic bacteria. Scary time. But i was running again within 3 weeks. Luckily the stake had gone around the back of calf and not caused too much muscular damage.
In reply to The New NickB: Running along on rough ground at work, tripped and fell, landed on a metal box. Broke my ribs. Sore.
 Mehmet Karatay 25 Oct 2010
In reply to The New NickB:

Have you seen the accident report for this year's LAMM? http://www.lamm.co.uk/2010/accident.html

"He had a broken left ankle, badly cut knee, fractured pelvis, 5 broken ribs on his right side and a punctured lung, 3 broken ribs on the left, broken right elbow, dislocated and broken shoulder, predominantly severed ear, cut face and head, fractured skull, minor cuts and grazes on all limbs and hands."

I hope his recovery goes well. The article implies he will be fine.

Mehmet
michael lawrence 25 Oct 2010
In reply to The New NickB: This year in the Great North Run. Was getting frustrated with the human traffic and was running up the side of the road. Got to a junction and realised I had to leap a safety barrier to stay on the route. Didn't leap it quite as well as I would have liked and ended up on the floor with a sore shoulder and severly dented pride as the accident had happended in front of dozens of people. Got up and carried on pretending that it hadn't happened. No lasting injury other than looking like a proper keeny pratt!!!
In reply to The New NickB: This year in the Great North Run. Was getting frustrated with the human traffic and was running up the side of the road. Got to a junction and realised I had to leap a safety barrier to stay on the route. Didn't leap it quite as well as I would have liked and ended up on the floor with a sore shoulder and severly dented pride as the accident had happended in front of dozens of people. Got up and carried on pretending that it hadn't happened. No lasting injury other than looking like a proper keeny pratt!!!
 staceyjg 25 Oct 2010

A friend of mine after 3 or 4 months training decided to do a half marathon for charity, he's a little competetive and wanted to do well on time, however at about 11 miles, he started feeling a little funny, found the floor coming to meet him, then woke up in an ambulance after having stopped breathing and them having to resuscitate him.
 JimR 25 Oct 2010
In reply to michael lawrence:

jings , you did it twice? i'd have thought you'd have learnt after the first time!
 Carolyn 25 Oct 2010

Running across Skiddaw summit, blown off balance by strong gust of wind, tripped on pointy rocks. Didn't get an arm out to break fall, landed on face. Had the most impressive black eye for a couple of weeks, even under way more make up than I'd normally wear, but no one at work would mention it as they were convinced I was being beaten up by hubby!
ice.solo 25 Oct 2010

none of you will believe this.

was running in northern japan alps and frightened what i thought was a monkey. turned out to be an asiatic black bear.

long story short, had my left chest torn open, left bicep bitten thru, ends of some fingers bitten off, lacerations across torso and thighs, deep wounds to right wrist, nerve damage to one hand. exposed bone and massive risk of infection. lots of skin staples, rehabilitations, iv antibiotics, splinted arm.

made the papers. bear was hunted down by old guys in the village and we ate the meat.

true story.
 Reach>Talent 25 Oct 2010
In reply to ice.solo:
none of you will believe this.

I'd take it at face value, but the rules of the internet apply:

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
 Stash 25 Oct 2010
In reply to ice.solo:

do you write for the inbetweeners?

Graham T 25 Oct 2010
In reply to ice.solo:

Newspaper link needed for this one. Way too dramatic to be believed on face value
 lynda 25 Oct 2010
In reply to The New NickB: Running up the stairs to an auditorium to get a showfile to the AV guys for a meeting that was to start in 15 minutes. It was dark, I hadn't realised the stairs were un-even, I was also watching what was onscreen at the time...

Tripped, bruised both knees (quite badly - they are still bruised a month later), hit my chin off the corner of the wooden seat row and cut it open.

The next day, wandered around the Fondation Beyeler museum looking like I had just been beaten up. Marvellous
In reply to JimR: Must have got distracted and hit submit twice!!
 Al Evans 25 Oct 2010
In reply to The New NickB: I was running in a local fell race and was in first place on the frantic descent when I trpped an cracked my knee on a rock, was outkicked into second place in the village (both me and the winner broke the old record),m no problem.
Later in the week I was running in a league match for the club and ended up having to do the 400mts. Kicking off the final bend there was a loud crack (heard by all the spectators) and my kneecap just exploded. After nearly needing a plastic inserted patella, the doctors decided it would heal and I was in plaster for over two months, for a year or so afterwards I couldnt kneel on it.
In reply to ice.solo:

Shit!

I'm glad that didn't happen to me when I was out running in the N Alps of Japan!

Beautiful countryside though.
 Wonrek 25 Oct 2010
In reply to The New NickB: Tripped on a section of the SW coast path and after (what seemed a lot of) air time came down and fell hard on a piece of slate embedded in the path.

Six stitches in one knee not a graze on the other or hands. VERY thankful it happened where it did and not near any of the very precarious drops!

Cx
 Wonrek 25 Oct 2010
In reply to Al Evans: Ewwwww! Had any long terms problems with the plastic?

Cx
Was running in winter somewhere on't moors above Todmorden.
Whilst trying to take a bearing, running downhill (wasn't in a race, so why I didn't stop I don't know), tripped & didn't manage to right my other foot & crashed to floor. It was blowing a bit of a hooly & was very lost, so didn't want to lose my map (in one hand) or compass (in other), so ended up falling with all my weight on my left elbow.
Got back to car 2hrs later & noticed clothes were torn, got home & realised I could see my elbow bone (not a lot of flesh there), so Saturday night stitches in A&E it was then.

(Not a patch on the bear story though, that is crazy!)
 Al Evans 25 Oct 2010
In reply to Clears:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Ewwwww! Had any long terms problems with the plastic?
>
> Cx

If you read the post I didn´t need the plastic in the end, it healed
 Sargey 25 Oct 2010

You have all convinced me running is far too dangerous, I will take my chance with heart disease!
XXXX 25 Oct 2010

Years ago I was a geeky teenager with ginger hair. My skills at school lay outside the usual sports and I was teased accordingly.

One summer, I inured my knee in a freak body boarding accident on holiday and returned to school with a hugely swollen knee and a note from my mum to get me out of PE. Well I loved PE, not that my teacher believed me as he was new, thinking instead that I was a skiving git.

After a few months of physio and gentle running as per the physio's orders (to strengthen) I was fit again. I'd grown to love running now and went out of my own accord training, so come the new school term I was raring to go and fighting fit.

I went out on cross country and handed the PE teacher's favourite his arse on a plate only to be bollocked for cheating and sent on another lap. I finished last, still teased and desperate for recognition.

The next week, furious, I went out again sitting with the leader all the way around so he could act as my witness. As we reached the home straight, in site of the teacher I kicked on, propelling myself to glory and accolades. Around 100m from the line I turned to make sure the poor boy and ex-favourite wasn't gaining on me. I wanted to ensure nothing could prevent my rise to heroism. He was metres behind and had given up...

...I turned again, facing forwards to search for the adoring eyes of my teacher. All I saw, too late, was the looming image of a lamp-post, inconsiderately placed directly between me and the finish. Too late to swerve, stop, or even protect myself with my hands, my face made friends with the hard, cold concrete.

My nose exploded spraying blood all over my shirt, the lamp-post and the floor. I lay prone as I was overtaken and suffered the total indignity of being sent to the first aid room to sit with a tissue on my face, head down over a bucket waiting for my mum.

I've still never won a race.

Removed User 25 Oct 2010
Mine involves getting caught short, rather badly, while out with the club one evening. I knew I shouldn't have worn those very thin, threadbare Ronhills.
beinn_eighe 25 Oct 2010

I once tripped over a canal boat mooring whilst on a club run (unlit section at night btw), and fell into the canal, whilst running at pace!

Highly embarrasing.
 alicia 25 Oct 2010
In reply to Eric the Red:

Sorry about the race, but great story!

I had a near-miss with a moose once, at about 1 a.m. on a trail by myself, but fortunately was able to sprint away in terror before any actual contact happened. My legs were complete jelly for the next 2 miles!
 rossowen 25 Oct 2010

Not my accident but running the decent on the Pen y Fan fell race I was gaining on my mate and about to pass.

"Hey Chris, hows it goin'"

"Hey!" said Chris turning to look

"Mind that hole Chris!"

"Wha..?"

Chris disappeared down the hole.

ice.solo 26 Oct 2010
In reply to Graham T:

fair enough, but i said you wouldnt believe it.

sorry, no actual photos of the incident (was kinda busy), just a few in hospital taken with a phone and some of the dead bear. easily disputed tho available to anyone who pms me.

the gunma-nyu-su-shin-bun probably doesnt do links to page 5 incident reports, but if youre willing to search its the june 19, 2009 edition. hope you read japanese.
was also reported in the naganohara-minichi-shin-bun next day as part of a general seasonal bear warning, page 3. again in japanese (what a surprise!)
if youre really into it you can find incident reports with both minakami and numata police, plus the hospital records at tone-cho-byu-in.
theres is also a report from the hunting team, maybe available from the minikami-machi-yakuba.

for those who read english i can refer you to OutdoorJapan Autumn special edition 2009 (maybe still online). pm me if you want a copy of the article.
 Graham T 26 Oct 2010
In reply to ice.solo:
With that level of detail I believe you now. Lucky escape fella. Mental story
 elsewhere 26 Oct 2010
In reply to Eric the Red:
Brilliant story, much better story than if you'd won!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...