UKC

Avon Gorge Accident

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon_Warner 26 Oct 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-11622025

Anyone know more about this, was there major rockfall? everyone ok?
 cha1n 26 Oct 2010
In reply to John_Warner:

I saw all of the emergency services at the bottom of the gorge (as I do every other month or so) as I drove home from work.

I don't know if it's related, but I remembered seeing someone near the top of Sea Walls and I couldn't see a belayer or ropes but I'm guessing that I'm just blind because all of the paramedics (about 8 cars) were down at The Amphitheatre. I was going to check the internet for news when I got in, but completely forgot..
 kevinknights 27 Oct 2010
In reply to John_Warner: The chap who fell was on the evening BBC1 news Monday (I think) from the ambulance. Fell into a big spiky shrubbery as I recall
firefighteralex 27 Oct 2010
 royal 27 Oct 2010
In reply to John_Warner:
Everytime I hear these stories I'm more surprised there's anything left of the Gorge! I pulled off a great chunk of rock whilst run out at the top of Earl of Perth a few months back. Luckily I didn't go with it like this poor guy, but it did give me an eye opener into the wisdom of missing protection opportunities because I was pumped and tired. I probably would have ended up falling 15-20m if I'd peeled off.
James Jackson 27 Oct 2010
In reply to royal:

I was under a nice rockfall from Hells Gates a few years ago. Good times!
 Simon Pelly 27 Oct 2010
In reply to firefighteralex:

Good photo in the article. Still struggling to work out the route?

Did see the evening news footage. Looks like the chap managed to walk away holding is arm.
 pencilled in 27 Oct 2010
In reply to John_Warner:

Good luck to the climber, sounds as if he's ok.
Could it be The Beard of Ffoeg Nosam? Left of Think Pink. Was HVS 5B in 92 guide, E2 5B in this one. I'd give it E3 5B now because of peg deterioration and no real solid backups.

Could be that, doesn't quite look like Mercavity.
Chris Ellyatt 27 Oct 2010
In reply to John_Warner:

"The scenic Avon Gorge is a magnet for rock-face climbers". Rock-face climbers? Never heard that one before.

Chris
 Reach>Talent 27 Oct 2010
In reply to Chris Ellyatt:
Rock-face climbers? Never heard that one before.

It helps to differentiate them from "Dirty Gritstone Crack Whores" or "Shambling Southern Choss botherers".
 Paz 28 Oct 2010
In reply to nick ingram:

I found loads of solid backups and thought E2 5b was fair. If it was E3 5b I would've remembered it more.

The guy could've fallen off the direct, or it might've been a nasty slip.

My point is: fair play to whoever got injured. Thankyou for climbing in a good part of the gorge. Sorry the rock wasn't better, but you knew that. Well done on getting injured on a good route. This route, as with most of them nearby, are worth the risk of injury. The BBC said you were an experienced climber. You are far more than this, you are a capable coinnoisseur, a man of style and taste. I'm sure you once you are going well again you will dispatch whatever it route it was with ease, should you wish to. Once again sir, I extend my respect. Of course, I wish you all the best for your hopefully speedy recovery.
Danny Fox 22 Nov 2010
In reply to Paz:

If anyone knows who it is, please tell, there'll be dozens of us in Bristol who know the climber, I'm certain, but not well enough to hear through the human grapevine.

It'd be really interesting to know if gear failed, or if it was rockfall that caused it, etc. So if you're the faller checking UKC from the hospital bed, good luck recovering, but please tell us what happened so we might be safer next time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...