UKC

What do you learn at a Dawes workshop?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Charlie_Zero 01 Nov 2010
Was wondering about treating myself to a class with Mr J Dawes. Does he still do them?

I've read some reviews that suggest his style of teaching might not suit everybody.

Anyone on here done one? Did you find it useful and what sort of things did you learn?
 Yong_Welsh 01 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan_2468:

Hey, did a little session in play y brenin with him a couple of years ago, it was brilliant, in a very strange way, he taught us to jump onto the wall with no hands with our eyes closed, he was doing mad dyno's everywhere and all sorts. It was more like a psychological coaching session than a technical climbing one. If you can keep an open mind to it all then it's very useful stuff, just changed the way i thought about stuff while on a route, funny how it sticks with you really. I found it to be absolutely inspirational, loved every minute of it, just having him around is inspiration enough mind you.

Iwan
 Paz 02 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan_2468:

It's very good for bouldering and Indoor climbing if you've been stuck in a rut for a long time at about HVS/E1.
 sean0409 02 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan_2468: yes he still does them £30 for 2 and a half hours (bargain). He goes to works at sheffield regularly and Im taking a class in the middle of this month, he's absolute class to watch at the wall.
 Monk 02 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan_2468:

I've not done a session with him, but used to see him regularly when I lived in Sheffield. He isn't like other coaches, but has some very interesting approaches, mostly focussing on movement and centre of gravity. He used to guarantee that you would climb at least a grade harder in one of his sessions. To be honest, it's probably worth the money just to see him move on the wall - I've never seen anything like it.
 Thrudge 02 Nov 2010
In reply to sean0409:
Sorry to sound a bit dim, but how do you go about booking these? I can't find it on his website.
beinn_eighe 02 Nov 2010
In reply to Tony Naylor:

Id like to know too, theres no info on his site about dates, locations etc..
OP Charlie_Zero 02 Nov 2010
In reply to sean0409:

I'd like to know how to book these as well, I sent an email via his website for information but haven't received a reply.
 sean0409 02 Nov 2010
In reply to Tony Naylor: Me and my brother saw him at works and he gave us his number I'll pass it on tonight after my visit to the wall
 SGD 02 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan_2468: As others have said Johnny's teaching style might not suit everyone but if you are open about the approach and if it suits you, you will get a lot from one of his classes.

He will get you doing some moves that at 1st you think are impossible but as you start to see how it works you suddenly find yourself pulling off the same moves a lot of which are completely balance orientated with no real arm strength at all. Brilliant stuff!!!

I got a lot from the session I had and can only recommend that you try it for yourself.
beinn_eighe 02 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan_2468:

It seems as if finding out about his classes can be as mysterious as the man himself.
 Yong_Welsh 08 Nov 2010
In reply to beinn_eighe: Type in johnny dawes on google maps.. he's there!
 Stefan Kruger 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan_2468:

I've done a JD workshop.

It's enlightening, fun and definitely worth seeking out. Whether it suits you or not depends on your style of learning - for wont of better words, his style is playful rather than structured. He expects you to learn the child's way, which in my book is part of the attraction.
 Bulls Crack 08 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan_2468:

Not to moan about lack of reach?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...