UKC

Peak Area AGM & Annual Xmas Quiz - 24 November - Grindleford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon 12 Nov 2010
It's time for THE social event of the BMC Peak Area calendar - the Christmas Quiz (preceded by the AGM, Ordinary meeting and FREE food).

This year our Quiz Master extraordinaire is Graeme Alderson (so come prepared to be humiliated and stripped off any climbing knowledge kudos you may think you have!!).

A very big THANK YOU to the following who have kindly donated some fabulous prizes; 18 Bikes, Alpkit, BMC, Climbing Club, Climbing Works, Cordee, Cotswold, CragX, Foothills, Keith Sharples, Heason Events, Nottingham Climbing Centre, Outside, Rab/EquipUK, Rockfax, The Edge, The Foundary and Vertebrate Graphics.

It’s taking place on Wednesday 24th November 2010, 7.30pm onwards, at The Maynard Arms hotel, Main Road , Grindleford, Derbyshire. S32 2HE (the posh place as you come into Grindleford from Yarncliffe)

An agenda and minutes of the last meeting can be found on the BMC communities website. This includes updates on important Access issues such as The Eastern Moors Partnership.

http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=408

Hope to see you there!

Simon - BMC Access rep.
OP Simon 12 Nov 2010
In reply to Simon:

I forgot to say that those who wish to leave the car at home to sample some early Xmas cheer or two, there is a bus from Sheffield which stops outside the Maynard Arms and a Train that stops at Grindleford station - just down station approach from the Maynard (5 minute walk)

Bus:
TM Travel 214.
Sheffield (d): 18:25
Grindleford (a): 19:00

TM Travel 240:
Grindleford (d): 22:18
Sheffield (a): 22:50

Train:
Sheffield (d): 19:15
Grindleford (a): 19:30

Grindleford (d): 21:44
Sheffield (a): 22:00

or late one for quizzers:

Grindleford (d): 23:19
Sheffield (a): 23:35

There will be trains from Manchester as well - check out the local times on line.

Cheers

Si

OP Simon 12 Nov 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall:

cheers sir...

Are we going on the bus or train then fella?!

;0)
 Chris the Tall 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Simon:
Will go on the bus

Comming back I'll be on the bus, or train, or scrounging a lift, or walking - all depends how long Graeme's quiz takes
OP Simon 15 Nov 2010

I'll be getting an early bus & go back on the train then mate.

Si
 S11 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Simon:
> A very big THANK YOU to the following who have kindly donated some fabulous prizes; 18 Bikes, Alpkit, BMC, Climbing Club*, Climbing Works, Cordee, Cotswold, CragX, Foothills, Keith Sharples, Heason Events, Nottingham Climbing Centre, Outside, Rab/EquipUK, Rockfax, The Edge, The Foundary and Vertebrate Graphics.

* Which Climbing Club, there's an awful lot of them
 Chris the Tall 15 Nov 2010
In reply to S11:
> * Which Climbing Club, there's an awful lot of them

Well spotted, it's the Climbers Club, who have kindly donated a copy of their new Tremadog guide.

I'm afraid you don't get a prize for that

bugger, I'm working that evening..... seemed to have missed the last few meetings.

Wonder if I can swap with anyone
OP Simon 18 Nov 2010
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):
> bugger, I'm working that evening..... seemed to have missed the last few meetings.
>
> Wonder if I can swap with anyone

Hope you can - looking like a good one!

Si
Muz 18 Nov 2010
In reply to Simon:
think I'll be stuck in london
 Chris the Tall 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Simon:
Just a reminder that this is tonight folks

Anyone going to make it ? Or will we be splitting several hundred pounds of prizes between 20 people ?

For anyone who's never been to a BMC meeting and is tempted to come along - don't be afraid, the meetings are pretty friendly and informal, but full of interest.

Oh, and its the AGM, so the following posts are up for election/re-election
Chair
Vice-chair
Secretary
2 National Council Reps
Youth Rep
Club Rep

Should you wish to stand for any of these posts, nominations can be received on the night, just need a proposer and a second. Except for the club rep, where it gets horribly complicated, but lets not worry about that right now.

Chris - Retiring NC rep - yes I done my time and I'll be a free man by tomorrow !
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC))
> [...]
>
>
>
> Hope you can - looking like a good one!
>
> Si

Nope unfortunately not. 6 - 9.30 in glossop
 Adam Long 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Simon:

BUMP! Looking forward to the quiz...
 Ropeboy 24 Nov 2010

Hi Chris,

I don't get on UKC as often as I used too and have completely missed this. Didn't there used to be an email list? I seen to have dropped off the list.

Who can I contact to get back on?

J
 Chris the Tall 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Simon:
A quick summary for those who couldn't make the meeting

Chair - Neil Foster elected, replacing Matt Heason who was given a vote of thanks for 3 years in the job

Secretary - Lynn Robinson elected, replacing Trudi Materna who was also given a vote for thanks (Lynn had been acting Sec, as Trudi was unable to continue due to work commitments)

Youth Rep - Jim Watkin was unable to attend the meeting, but was re-elected. It is hoped he will be able to give his report at the next meeting

National Council Reps - Neil Foster re-elected, Rick Gibbon elected to replace the previous idiot who was given a vote of thanks for almost 5 years of incoherant ranting.

Matt's final act was to thank the access reps and guidebook volunteers for their excellant work.

Next Years Meetings:

Wed Feb 9th – Grouse (Froggatt) ?
Tue Apr 12th – Norfolk Arms (Sheffield) ?
Wed Jun 8th – Traveller’s Rest - Ramshaw
Thu Sep 15th – Old Crown – Glossop
Wed Nov 23rd – AGM - ?

(No decision was made as the venue for the meetings on the Eastern side - excellant room at the Maynard, but the beer was a bit steep and it seems only one person took advantage of the excellant public transport options)

The main part of the meeting included discussion on the future of the Whillans hut, Den Lane, the fence Kinder and the question of BMC loans for club huts (you'll have to wait for the minutes if you want more details).

And finally Graeme's quiz featured 50 desperate questions (I think I got about 5 right) and some of the most gruesome lycra and worst mullets ever seen. It was won by some team of sharks.

All in all a pretty good night, until I turned my radio on at 2 minutes past 12....

> And finally Graeme's quiz featured 50 desperate questions (I think I got about 5 right) and some of the most gruesome lycra and worst mullets ever seen. It was won by some team of sharks.

Best moment - Graeme insisting that the answer to the question, "in what year did Ray Jardine invent the Friend" was 1973 despite the fact that Mark Valance told him it was 1972, after all, what does he know?

Alan
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Mark agreed that my answer was based on the Wild Country website so he graciously accepted that he had got it 'wrong'.

Plus Mark said that the 1972 prototype required 4 hands to operate so it was it really a prototype?
In reply to Graeme Alderson:
I missed a few of the answers - who was the guy with the mattress ?
In reply to Chris the Tall: Dave Pegg
pasbury 25 Nov 2010

Any chance of getting the quiz questions on here? <Bored at work>
In reply to Ropeboy:
The issue of the email list is a vexed one, but your best bet would be to contact Lynn
In reply to pasbury: I could put the written questions up later but not sure I can be bothered uploading all the photos and linking stuff.
pasbury 25 Nov 2010

That would be great.
 Ropeboy 25 Nov 2010

Thanks, I'll drop her a quick email.

J
In reply to pasbury: Here you go

1 What is commonly accepted to be the first proper climbing wall in the UK and when did it open 2 points (date & name)
3 We all know what BMC normally stands for in climbing terms but what did it stand for according to one disgruntler ex-employee, and who was he and where is the route 3 points (name, route & location)
6 In 'The Power of Climbing' what was Jerry Moffat: Legend, Elite or Master 1 point
8 In the debate published in the AC Journal 1993 who argued that the BMC supporting climbing competitions would lead to the Nose (presumably Dinas Mot) being bolted within a few years 1 point
9 What route is on the front cover of the 1976 Stanage Guide (the green one) 1 point
12 In what year & month did The Foundry open 2 points (1 for year & 1 for month)
16 According to 'Rock Climbing in Britain' what was the most serious climb in Britain 1 point
19 What route is top of the graded list in the 2007 Stanage Guide 1 point
20 What route is bottom of the graded list in the 2007 Stanage Guide 1 point
29 in what year & month did The Climbing Works open 2 points (1 for year 1 for month)
32 According to the OTE Millienium List who did the FA of Partheon Shot 1 point
33 Which well known boulderer had his dad on the front cover of the 1979 Northumberland guide (Note wording slightly changed as Neil Foster didn't hear the verbal clarification although everyone else did) 1 point
36 3 Brits were in the final of the first ever climbing World Cup, Jerry Moffatt & Simon Nadin were 2 of them, who was the third 1 point
38 In what year did Ray Jardine create the 1st protoype friend 1 point
41 There 2 routes on peak grit named after the Convict Captain. Name the crags 1 point for each crag
44 How many ascents has Divided Years in the Mourne Mountains had 1 point
45 In what year did Antoine le Menestrel solo Revelations 1 point

Tie breaker How many routes were there at Stanage according to the 1976 guidebook

The rest were picture questions and sorry I have spent too much time this last week scanning etc photos
Kipper 25 Nov 2010

> 38 In what year did Ray Jardine create the 1st protoype friend 1 point

In reply to Kipper: Nil points
 Dave Garnett 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Kipper:

Some time before 4 June 1977, which is the earliest priority claimed by his patent applications.
 sutty 25 Nov 2010

>Nil points

That is my score for the quiz, FFS my memory is shot.
 craig h 25 Nov 2010

I'm glad now I couldn't make it to the meeting, can get a few of answers and guess some more.

From the meeting I'd be interested on what was talked about Den Lane?

pasbury 25 Nov 2010

Thanks dude. Looks like I'd better go rummaging for my Stanage guides!
In reply to craig h:
> (In reply to Graeme Alderson)
>
> I'm glad now I couldn't make it to the meeting, can get a few of answers and guess some more.
>

The rush to get to the quiz devalued the meeting in my opinion, not enough time was spent discussing important issues

In reply to pasbury:
>
> Thanks dude. Looks like I'd better go rummaging for my Stanage guides!

No cheating though, using smart phones was banned during the quiz, although of course the team that won was furthest away so who knows what they were doing via google

Al Evans 26 Nov 2010
In reply to sutty:
>
> >Nil points
>
> That is my score for the quiz, FFS my memory is shot.

No Sutty, it's an incredibly hard quiz, I wonder how many the winners got right.
 Dan Lane 26 Nov 2010
In reply to Al Evans:

Think the winners go 44 or something, I know my team got 30, and we were 3rd.
 Offwidth 26 Nov 2010

"The rush to get to the quiz devalued the meeting in my opinion,"

I disagree, the problem was more to do with a late start for the meeting and an unusually large agenda: I thought Neil dealt with things very well; as it was we didn't head home til nearly midnight.

Brilliant quiz btw. Also I enclose proof below that Lynn and I were right on the route name on Ancient Art (as if bumblies climbing such a thing could forget!) :

http://www.supertopo.com/rock-climbing/Desert-Towers-Stolen-Chimney-Ancient...

PS for aspirants the overview beta is unreliable: we thought the chimney is piss (easy 5.7) for UK grit climbers, the finish corkscrew however is tricky and serious more like 5.9R (or 5.8A0/R) given the state of the rock and the fixed pro (plus, note the top block rocks!). Better still free the whole climb at around 5.10b/c (a few folk have told its not as hard as the 5.10d stated).

In reply to Offwidth: I agree that Neil dealt with things well but I still think more time should have been devoted to some of the agenda items.

I will discuss the route name with the oracle (ie Crusher). Don't forget to buy his book though http://climbing.about.com/b/2010/11/15/desert-towers-new-climbing-history-b...

I thought the whole route free was about E2/3 6a with the crux being mantling the diving board, the 2 bolt ladders are I guess tecfhnically harder but obviously pretty safe. The secondary crux was the abseil - walking back along the promontory feeding slack out, a slip from there would be a bit serious.
 Offwidth 26 Nov 2010

I think given what's coming we need to get key access summary info out in advance of the meeting so we can use our time better. The newsletter worked well for that, which is why I'd like it to stay. Too often these meetings wasted time informing people about basic stuff they could easily have found out otherwise or worst still on what I regard as vested interest stuff. We need to work smartly and efficiently and not waste people's time (and are put off coming) given the big changes just round the corner. We also need some time to talk: communities get things done better than committees. From my point of view on guidebook work some urgent discussions were dealt with v efficiently over the last few years as the gathering usefully allowed me to talk direct to all the access reps involved, rather than chase a series of phone calls.

Book sounds good.

"crux being mantling the diving board" Good greif! I thought the diving board was about severe! It felt like I'd joined a mousetrap game!! We french freed the bolt ladders but had a feel of the moves. The crux for us was navigating out in the pitch dark as quicky as we could, without a head torch, worrying if we were too late to still buy booze in Moab's fortress off-licence (I stood on top exactly as the millenium came in in the UK).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...