UKC

Site Improvements - Now LIve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
We have just made large number of minor site changes live across the site. This is in preparation for the launch of UKHillwalking.com in January 2011. Most of the changes are not obvious but will make the site faster and more efficient. The most obvious change is the addition of the Facebook 'Like' links to many areas of the site.

We will be making further changes to the site before the launch of UKH especially to the Logbook section (consolidating the Summit entries) and to the site log in forms.

Today's changes are too numerous to list (to be honest we haven't got a list) but they may well throw up some odd behaviour. Please report any problems via this thread or via the Contact Us forms at the base of each page.

Thanks

Alan
 Chris the Tall 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
f - One person dislikes this !

Would it be possible to have a profile option along the lines of "I don't do bl**dy facebook"
 Reach>Talent 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall:
Would it be possible to have a profile option along the lines of "I don't do bl**dy facebook"

Why is there no like button under this?

toad 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: At least one person likes your comment

Not to sure I like the positioning of the like button. Anyone else thinking this? Perhaps to the right of the time and date? or a smaller button above the reply button?

Anyone else think this, or am I just being pernikity? Or not used to it?

Alex
 dirtbag1 15 Nov 2010
Definitely not liking the Facebook thing, unnecessary for me.
I would like to have the option in profile of removing it.
In reply to Chris the Tall: Neither do I, and neither am I interested in how many people that do have facetube profiles like something. That said, I acknowledge that I am a curmudgeonly old git in this respect.

What benefit accrues to the site from having people on facebook tell others that they like one or other thread? I am, despite my self-acknowledged COG status, curious to know.

T.
 Horse 15 Nov 2010

On my work computer I get the following Morse code in the bottom left corner of the first post on a thread and at other places:

. ---

Which is a J I think.

Checking on my phone I see this is some sort of link to something called Facebook, which work blocks. Not that bothered as you might have gathered but it does look odd.
 Horse 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Horse:

PS I like the redness of the "delete" button.
 toad 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: on a marginally more constructive note, if I was to "like" something, it would be an individual comment on a thread, usually not the whole thread - which would be full of the usually wind and fury and snitty asides
 earlsdonwhu 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Facebook= bollox. Not needed here!
 Fraser 15 Nov 2010
In reply to dirtbag1:

> Definitely not liking the Facebook thing, unnecessary for me.
> I would like to have the option in profile of removing it.

Agreed. I like this post.

Michael Gordon 15 Nov 2010

Is it possible to select something so I don't see this daft 'like' thing?
 deepstar 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC)
>
> Is it possible to select something so I don't see this daft 'like' thing?

Seconded!
 ericoides 15 Nov 2010
In reply to toad:

How does this work? Do I day I like your comment, or say I like Chris the Tall's comment that you liked, or say that I don't like Alan James's like button that you both disliked? And is it a coincidence that 'like' is my least favourite word anyway?
 Only a hill 15 Nov 2010
Can I be one of the first to avoid the modern fashion of Facebook-bashing and say thanks for making these changes? I see nothing wrong with using Facebook--it's a useful tool if used correctly--and think these modifications might be useful.
 dirtbag1 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Only a hill:
I'm not facebook 'bashing'.
I just don't have any use for liking a thread, therefore would rather not have the button.
D
 Tony the Blade 15 Nov 2010
In reply to dirtbag1:

You could always just ignore its presence.

Just a thought
 Tyler 15 Nov 2010

> Site Improvements.....The most obvious change is the addition of the Facebook 'Like' links to many areas of the site.

Hmmm
Duncan_Andison 15 Nov 2010

They look good. I don't really use facbook etc but if someone does then it's there for them and I don't have to press it... easy enough to ignore.

The enlarge image option is a very nice touch. There have been number of times I would have liked to have seen the image on the full screen and this is really useful! One way to improve it further though would be if you could click on the left or the right side of the image to navigate to the next picture. There are a few pieces of Java Script that can do this and it would make it quicker to go from one image to another.

So far though looks good!

Duncan
 petestack 15 Nov 2010
> The most obvious change is the addition of the Facebook 'Like' links to many areas of the site.

Don't like the links in the thread-starting posts *at all*! While I can see some logic in some of the other Facebook tie-ins (eg the 'so-and-so has been climbing at' logbook thing) for folk who use them, the UKC Forums aren't Facebook and these particular links just seem intrusive and offputting to me.
 jobertalot 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Fraser:

Agreed.

I used to be pleased that UKC was a "facebook-free zone". I bloody hate it, and the stupid icon.
 LakesWinter 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Not keen on the facebook button at all.
 steev 15 Nov 2010

Am generally a big fan of Facebook, but don't think there's much value in 'liking' a UKC post. Can I ask what the reason behind including this feature is?
 SCC 15 Nov 2010
In reply to steev:
>
> Am generally a big fan of Facebook, but don't think there's much value in 'liking' a UKC post. Can I ask what the reason behind including this feature is?

I'm going to guess that the idea is for non UKC users that are on FB to be intrigued as to why I have 'liked' something on a website called UKC. They then click on the link to take a look and then that adds to the number of visitors to the site.
This, in turn, means that UKC can demonstrate a higher number of visitors than before to potential advertisers.

As I say, just a guess...

Si
 GarethSL 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: I dont like the FB button, but would it be possible to move the 'next picture' and 'thumbnails' link when viewing photos, cause I keep catching the dropdown menu and its quite frustrating. Or preferably can it be click the picture to view next and maybe toggle pictures with keyboard arrows?
 Phil West 15 Nov 2010
In reply to MattG and all other 'haters':

I do use Facebook. I don't use it for games or all those 'compare your quiz results' type crap but to keep in touch with people. Yeah it's not critical, we can always write to each other or knock on their doors but its useful in the same way as a mobile phone, a car or a toaster for example and if you don't want to use it, then that's ok, don't feel any peer pressure. You'll be no worse off.

Having said that, I never even noticed the button so I'm guessing anyone not liking its inclusion is being moany. Let's face it, some people hate the fact that UKC exists. Hell, some people hate the fact that the Internet exists!

My 2p worth. Might use it, might not but it's hardly annoying like avatars would be is it!
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Being a fellow non-FB curmudgeon, I'd also like the option to turn it off. It's hard enough keeping up with threads on UKC, OM, BPL, etc...

Or at least put it in the post banner, so it's not so visually intrusive; one of the joys of UKC over the years has been the simple, uncluttered interface, with no avatars, smileys, animated toasters, etc...

Do such Facebook things not encourage people to leave UKC, and go and look at Facebook instead? And, given the finite time that people can spend online, don't UKC want people to be making hits to UKC, and not swelling the hits on Facebook? Just a thought...
 Tom Last 15 Nov 2010

Another vote to ditch the Facebook button.
 petestack 15 Nov 2010
In reply to SCC:
> I'm going to guess that the idea is for non UKC users that are on FB to be intrigued as to why I have 'liked' something on a website called UKC.

But you can already like UKC itself on Facebook and surely that's enough?

Just discovered these damn links on the photos as well... dislike, dislike, dislike (the voting's already bad enough)!
 steev 15 Nov 2010
In reply to SCC:

I was more wondering if there was some kind of value to me as a user. There's loads of these kinds of things that seem pointless to begin with but turn out to be useful once someone's explained it properly.
 niggle 15 Nov 2010
Can I make a suggestion regarding the Like button?

At the moment it's a little odd because it appears in the body of the first post, so it appears to refer to that post. Okay, technically it does, but in a more general sense it refers to liking the thread, since no other posts have the button.

From a design point of view, it should be grouped with the thread, not just one post in it. It feels intrusive because you have to read past it to get to the rest of the thread.

How about putting it in a bar between the thread title bar and the bar containing the author details for the first post? That would group it visually with the thread title and make it much less obtrusive. From a practical point of view, it would also provide greater flexibility to add other icons to that bar like twitter, reddit and so on, in future as required.

Just a thought.

John Lewis 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Just out of interest I clikck like expecting it to appear on my FB, but nothing? I also note that the FB name and not the UKC posting name appears.

What was intended by the like button, I seem to have missunderstood it's function?

J
 ChrisJD 15 Nov 2010

Don't care whether you have FB likes or not, just move the icon! - it's horrid where it is and just look/feels all wrong in this position.
carrbridge 15 Nov 2010

another vote for ditching anything to do with facebook
 Horse 15 Nov 2010
In reply to niggle:

Having now seen it on a computer I agree, it looks very out of place and intrusive where it is.
 Jaffacake 15 Nov 2010

Despite being on facebook constantly I am hating the 'like' option, it would probably be OK in a less intrusive place but would prefer an option to hide it.
 thin bob 15 Nov 2010
Thanks for the explanation, Alan.
My 2p is that I hardly noticed it and if it doesn't chew up the bandwith or your servers, fair enough! Good luck with it.

as it happens, i wouldn't want my posts to be on FBook, i'm looking for a job and i don't half talk some bollocks...:0})
 Michael Gordon 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Only a hill:
> I see nothing wrong with using Facebook--it's a useful tool if used correctly--and think these modifications might be useful.

Useful for what?
 Toby S 15 Nov 2010

Sorry Alan, I 'don't like'. Can't help but feel you're pandering to the lowest common denominator on the web. One of the reasons I like UKC so much is because it seems to shy away from the obvious 'like' this, tweet that, digg it, nonsense. I know you use social networking sites (as do I!) but I like how UKC doesn't choose to be too gratuitous about it
 Hairy Pete 15 Nov 2010
> The larger photos pop out function
only works for certain widths of browsers screens. For about 10-20% of the possible browser widths it pops-up the thumbnail beyond the righthand margin (at least with Firefox 3.6 it does).

John Lewis 15 Nov 2010
In reply to thin bob:

> as it happens, i wouldn't want my posts to be on FBook, i'm looking for a job and i don't half talk some bollocks...:0})

you noticed, well done

seriously good luck with the job hunting sir!
 John Lewis 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: It would not seem to have updated my FB yet (30mins) Nor that of mutual friends yet either.

Going to have to think as well about how it appears on FB and who will see my activity across the sites, hmmmmmmmmmm

J
 mike_uk82 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Only a hill: How?
 steev 15 Nov 2010

I get the value for news articles, etc but it seems a bit odd to have it in forum posts.
 mike_uk82 15 Nov 2010
In reply to mike_uk82: To add.

I like facebook, it serves a purpose for me, it keeps me in touch with long lost friends and distant ones.

I like UKC it keeps me in touch with the climbing community and other related activities.

Not too keen on the hybrid though, doesnt seem to add much to the site. Though im sure like everything else we will get used to it in time and either ignore it or use it.

I do like the new red delete button. Pointless but distinct.
 Tall Clare 15 Nov 2010

hello

I'm not sure about the facebook button on the forums but can definitely see the merit on news items and articles.

Has there been any further consideration of the idea that I suggested a while ago, of being able to 'link' routes and crags (though it could work with articles, news items or people's profiles just as well)from the database in forum posts? I know Nick said he liked the sound of it.
interdit 15 Nov 2010
Alan, if you are going to seriously consider one post on this thread so far then I suggest it be this one....

In reply to niggle:

> At the moment it's a little odd because it appears in the body of the first post, so it appears to refer to that post. Okay, technically it does, but in a more general sense it refers to liking the thread, since no other posts have the button.
>
> From a design point of view, it should be grouped with the thread, not just one post in it. It feels intrusive because you have to read past it to get to the rest of the thread.
>
> How about putting it in a bar between the thread title bar and the bar containing the author details for the first post? That would group it visually with the thread title and make it much less obtrusive. From a practical point of view, it would also provide greater flexibility to add other icons to that bar like twitter, reddit and so on, in future as required.

I was thinking of placing it to the right hand end of the 'title' row - sort of indicates that you are 'liking' the thread as a whole.
But, where ever it ends up, where it is now intrudes rather than improves.
 thin bob 15 Nov 2010
In reply to John Lewis:
> (In reply to thin bob)
>
> [...]
>
> you noticed, well done
>
> seriously good luck with the job hunting sir!

Cheers sunshine!! Hope all good with you!
Nice weather (cold, crisp, sunny) ? Total fair play to ya for moving, btw, good job.

Cartoon smiley things would mean i really get the ache. Do Not Like!
 Simon 15 Nov 2010
> As anyone who has clicked it will notice, not much happens when you click it, but your FB profile will show it, and your friends will be alerted to something you like. If 5 people 'like' something on UKC then that is potentially connecting with 80 x 5 = 480 people (80 is the average number of friends per FB user). This is a really good way for us to connect with new users and old users who have drifted away.
>
>

I can confirm that indeed it does...

I know many people hate twitter (I don't get it myself) and Facebook - but In times of economic hardship I have seen the latter used to great effect on both a personal and commercial basis to help promote sales / awareness for free and you have to get what you can these days for just that.

I respect that people don't like Facebook - but as Tony Blade said - just ignore it!

I would rather have UKC utilise the best media communications that they can to survive this horrid recession than to struggle.

Self publicity doesn't come cheap and I think that a short annoyance for some which will help the UKC brand keep on keeping on is a small sacrifice that we can all live with really...

...I mean even Sutty is on Facebook!

;0)

Si
 Sam Mayfield 15 Nov 2010

Great work guys and I like the facebook link, I can see its uses.

No one will notice after a while and the masses are the ones that dont say anything as they dont mind, not the odd few that like to moan!

Sam Orange
 Franco Cookson 15 Nov 2010

I like all the improvements i've noticed, but still no ground up option...
 Graham Mck 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Don't know too much about Facebook, but if you are going to include this on each thread is it possible to have a dislike button too? I like balance...or are you only interested in those that like?
 Simon 15 Nov 2010
In reply to Sam Mayfield:
>
> Great work guys and I like the facebook link, I can see its uses.
>
> No one will notice after a while

Its all part of the media machine that unfortunately rumbles on regardless & you either embrace or choose to abstain from.

Progress for free publicity as we know is rife (albeit it sometimes leaves a bad taste in the mouth for many) but I embrace the chance that technology has given us - from blogs to web advertising - you can't ignore it - celebrate the communication channels - they are only going to get bigger, smarter and IMHO the Shape of things to come (E5 Curbar)...

;0)
 LastBoyScout 16 Nov 2010

I do Facebook, I do UKC - I don't wish to link the 2 together.

Also, the "Be the first of your friends to like this" irritates me immensely - I'm not 14 anymore.

Un-necessary clutter on the page, in my opinion - if it must stay, then agree with the profile option to hide it.
 JoshOvki 16 Nov 2010

Might as well add my 2 pence. I like the idea for news articals, and pictures but not threads. If I was to like something in the pub and one of my friends wanted to read it, they would have to become a member first anyway. Possibly move it and remove the "be the first of your friends to like this".
 Jiduvah 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: It makes me laugh how much a small button annoys people
> If 5 people 'like' something on UKC then that is potentially connecting with 80 x 5 = 480 people (80 is the average number of friends per FB user).

What is more important is why has no-one pulled me up on my dreadful maths!

Alan
 Jon Read 16 Nov 2010
We didn't want to embarrass you?
Also, there's the transitive links between peoples friends to take account of, so the real number will tend to be less unless there's no overlap between the friends of those five users (which is likely for just five 'random' site users but will diminish as more users like it). Probably not worth losing sleep over though!
 petestack 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Jiduvah:
> It makes me laugh how much a small button annoys people

It's not just the buttons but (same as the photo voting) the principle... I didn't register here to take part in some kind of posting competition, but displaying the number of 'likes' is pushing things that way.
 dirtbag1 16 Nov 2010
In reply to petestack:

> It's not just the buttons but (same as the photo voting) the principle... I didn't register here to take part in some kind of posting competition, but displaying the number of 'likes' is pushing things that way.

I agree, this is not a feature I want on this website as a user.
As an owner it's understandable, but not to be given a choice over whether to have it or not in the profile is disappointing, especially if this is classed as a 'site improvement'.
If the site continues to 'improve' it could be even more at odds with what I want as a user.
D
Parrys_apprentice 16 Nov 2010
In reply to petestack: I ignore the "reply" button on every single thread post except the one I'm replying to, which on some of these threads takes a lot of doing. So just ignore that one thumbs up icon and life's bliss.

If you don't want your FB and UKC linked then don't "like" anything in that manner.

An interesting point is that 11 people currently "like" this thread yet the only people that have typed anything are the non likers. My only complaint is that using facebook seems to make you a lazy communicator.
In reply to Parrys_apprentice:
> An interesting point is that 11 people currently "like" this thread yet the only people that have typed anything are the non likers. My only complaint is that using facebook seems to make you a lazy communicator.

I was one of them to test what happened, and I have to confess that there are threads on here which I prefer to this one!

Alan
 Horse 16 Nov 2010
> (In reply to petestack) .
>
> An interesting point is that 11 people currently "like" this thread yet the only people that have typed anything are the non likers.

Not true. Several have been positive and several have asked for it to placed somewhere other than the present position.

TobyA 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Gaz lord:
> would it be possible to move the 'next picture' and 'thumbnails' link when viewing photos, cause I keep catching the dropdown menu and its quite frustrating.

Totally, 100% agree with this! Its infuriating. Why can the 'next picture' and thumbnail button be at the bottom - you scroll down to see the whole photo then go on to the next photo.

On the FB like - it doesn't bother me in the slightest even if I might not use it, but I think Niggle is very right that it would look and feel better in the thread title than in the first post.
 dirtbag1 16 Nov 2010
11 likes out of over 1630 views
0.67% of users
(obviously this means nothing as data is not counting repeat views etc.)
In reply to TobyA:
> Totally, 100% agree with this! Its infuriating. Why can the 'next picture' and thumbnail button be at the bottom - you scroll down to see the whole photo then go on to the next photo.

As I mentioned Toby, the improvements to the Photo database have not been included in this latest set up upgrades.

Alan
 Tom_Harding 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: It seem the 'improvments' are solely to increase advertising revenue and not to improve the user experience. This is very sad to see.
In reply to Tom_Harding:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC) It seem the 'improvments' are solely to increase advertising revenue and not to improve the user experience. This is very sad to see.

Tom, since there are so many improvements not even Nick or myself know what they all are which is why I haven't listed them. Maybe we should have asked you since you seem to know what they all are?

In all it has been about three months of work on Nick's part streamlining the site code so that it makes it easier for us to improve things like photo upload and to develop new features. It has also made the site faster to load and require less bandwidth. I think the Facebook feature took 1 afternoon of the three month's work.

Massive old web sites like this need overhauling every now and then and when you do that, you discover old code that needs replacing or updating, or code that is duplicated unnecessarily and which can be more intelligently combined in libraries so that it is easier to change and update scripts.

Alan
 TobyA 16 Nov 2010

> As I mentioned Toby, the improvements to the Photo database have not been included in this latest set up upgrades.

No problem, I hadn't read the other thread though so perhaps other people had noted the same issue there. Anyway - it'll give Nick something else to try and work out for future upgrades!
 Tom_Harding 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Fair enough Alan, the facebook button is just the most public facing of the changes then. A list of all the changes would be good though.
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Dislike this. At least give the option to deactivate the facility on your profile.
 TobyA 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:
> It seem the 'improvments' are solely to increase advertising revenue...

Even if they were Tom (which Alan states they clearly weren't) how do think UKC is paid for? Government grants perhaps? Pledge drives? How much would you pay to subscribe?

You clearly want to be the anti-commercial iconoclast of the UKC forums, but you should perhaps put a bit more thought into your positions if you want that position and to avoid sounding like a moany but not very knowledgeable teenager.
 NickD 16 Nov 2010
Can we have an edit function for posts? It's annoying to hit "Submit" then realise that you've left out a crucial.

Facebook haters go here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=433379
 Sir Chasm 16 Nov 2010
In reply to TobyA: Of course the people who visit the site definitely don't pay for it.
 Ashley 16 Nov 2010
 fimm 16 Nov 2010

I'm not a big fan of the "like" button, and agree with others that it is a bit intrusive where it is, but I guess I will get used to it. I can't see myself using it, though - I like to keep myself reasonably anonymous on here, while Facebook isn't anonymous.

(To be honest, my expectation is that when UKHillwalking launches, I will end up on that site, as I'm one of these annoying people who lead about 3 VDiffs a year and still insist on posting on UKC!! But I guess the forums will look very similar.)
 JJL 16 Nov 2010

You've made an error in the thread title; should read "Site changes now live"
macstinator 16 Nov 2010

Apologies if this has been said before - but I am on the odd forum or two, and for all its size and weatlh of knowledge, this is awfully backwards.

For example, why is there no option to "goto the first new post" on a thread you have been reading and left for a while. You have to scroll down and see where you were. Also, an option to view all updated and new threads since you last left, rather than a selection of a few "Premier Posts" and the latest threads. This means we dont miss a raft of stuff. An edit feature would be invaluable, almost elementary.

All in all, something approaching the features of PHP3 or vBulletin.
 Jim Hamilton 16 Nov 2010

why won't you give the UKC user the option of not having a facebook logo on their post ?
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Aslan....can we please, please, please have a ground-up option in the logbooks??

fair enough facebook thing generates more dosh for UKC and for the making of UKH..... but come on! pleeeaaaassseeeee!?!?! then you can get back o with generating ze monies an I wont complain anymore....

Love DC

P.S go mad, go mad like a snake!
In reply to macstinator:
> For example, why is there no option to "goto the first new post" on a thread you have been reading and left for a while. You have to scroll down and see where you were. Also, an option to view all updated and new threads since you last left, rather than a selection of a few "Premier Posts" and the latest threads. This means we dont miss a raft of stuff. An edit feature would be invaluable, almost elementary.

Our forums are different from most other forums but this is usually considered one of their strengths.

I think you should investigate the 'mark as read' button at the top of Forums Latest since this pretty much does exactly what you request.

Alan
In reply to dunkymonkey17:
> fair enough facebook thing generates more dosh for UKC and for the making of UKH

We don't get any dosh from having the Facebook icon present. In fact if it generates new users then it will initially cost us in extra bandwidth. We may be able to use increased users to get more advertising, but that is a lot of effort away.

Alan

Tom_Harding 16 Nov 2010
In reply to TobyA: Oh come on Toby, the people who pay for the site are people like you and me looking at adverts. The companies that want to advertise negotiate a rate based on the number of hits to the website and THE RELEVENCE OF THE PEOPLE LOOKING AT THE ADVERTS! By adding a FB button all you’re going to do is draw non-climbers in for a quick look, realise it’s not for them and leave. Admittedly this gets one extra hit for UKC to barter with but it doesn’t get relevant people looking at adverts and I’m sure advertisers realise this. How many climbers do you meet that haven’t even heard of UKC?

Make improvements to the experience the user has to gain more users rather than ‘tricking’ people into ‘hitting the site’.

Another good question is ‘How many climbers do you meet who have heard of UKC but won’t use it for whatever reason.’ These are the guys and gals who you need to be targeting, and improving user experience is the way to do this.

Oh and Stop being so melodramatic, maybe I just haven’t got all your 30 year old apathy yet.
In reply to Alan James - UKC: but does it not increase the hits, thereby increasing the amount of money you can charge for adverts? I'vegot no beef with you making money out of this site, it would just be cool to put in the ground-up option inthe logbooks, instead of saying that at present you are doing too much to the site to add it in then months and months later your adding in things to the site that, I personally feel don't really add much to what is already an outstanding site...get what I mean?

DC
 streapadair 16 Nov 2010
> I think the Facebook feature took 1 afternoon of the three month's work.

Shouldn't take too long to bin it then?

My first reaction to it was 'Where did this virus come from?'

My second was 'Oh christ, not ukc'.

r0b 16 Nov 2010
I love these threads, everyone is suddenly a web advertising expert and the tiniest barely noticeable changes bring out waves of righteous indignation.

Get real guys, the facebook button takes up a tiny amount of the screen and is hardly going to spoil your enjoyment of the forums is it?
 steev 16 Nov 2010

I'm not advocating the removal of the FB button, but I think I'd benefit from someone explaining how, as a user I could get some value from it.

I do agree with niggle's points on the design though - would his ideas be easy enough to implement?
 Tall Clare 16 Nov 2010

Are there any plans for people to be able to 'tweet' news articles? I've found this useful on other sites.
 chris j 16 Nov 2010
> (In reply to Tom_Harding)
> [...]
>

> In all it has been about three months of work on Nick's part streamlining the site code so that it makes it easier for us to improve things like photo upload and to develop new features. It has also made the site faster to load and require less bandwidth.

I like this sort of upgrade given I quite often access the site from very slow connections when I'm away working offshore. I don't like the facebook button as I'd rather not have facebook friends from work see the rubbish I spout from time to time. It will probably make me less likely to engage in the more frivolous threads.
 Lemony 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Al Randall: You've missed it in the past.
 Coel Hellier 16 Nov 2010

> Our forums are different from most other forums but this is usually considered one of their strengths.

And one of the main strengths is the simple and clean appearance, not cluttered with avatars, signature files ... and things like facebook links.
 skog 16 Nov 2010
I applaud your efforts to highlight illicit workplace use of UKC to the relevant IT and HR departments by encouraging direct links from employees' Facebook pages, and by having a hit on Facebook available for recording on monitoring software whenever a user opens a thread on UKC.

In these times of austerity, employers need all the help you can give them to ensure they're getting the most out of their employees' time. By not giving users the option to turn off this feature, you further demonstrate your commitment to this noble cause.
 TobyA 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:
> (In reply to TobyA) Oh come on Toby, the people who pay for the site are people like you and me looking at adverts.

I click on an advert on UKC maybe once every two months if it is actually something of interest. I don't consider I ever had to pay for using UKC in any way, despite having had over a decade of enjoyment, contacts, climbing partners and work avoidance from UKC. Compare that to the hundreds, possibly thousands, of pounds I've spent on climbing magazines over the last two decades.

> Make improvements to the experience the user has to gain more users rather than ‘tricking’ people into ‘hitting the site’.

I don't see how anyone seeing a link to UKC from a friend's FB account, and thinking "that looks interesting" (regardless of whether they are a climber or not) could be considered have been 'tricked'. My mates on FB put up links all the time that I ignore because they are of no interest. There is no trick involved. This is why I say you seem to be moaning about things that just don't exist.

> Another good question is ‘How many climbers do you meet who have heard of UKC but won’t use it for whatever reason.’

None that I know of. Some people might not use it because its not of interest to them but I don't know anyone who knows of the site but won't use it.

> Oh and Stop being so melodramatic, maybe I just haven’t got all your 30 year old apathy yet.

Melodramatic and apathetic? That's quite some achievement! Cheers!
 TobyA 16 Nov 2010
In reply to steev:

> I'm not advocating the removal of the FB button, but I think I'd benefit from someone explaining how, as a user I could get some value from it.

I guess simply because you see something here that you think some of your Facebook friends might be interested in? I do exactly the same with good Economists articles that I read knowing that some of my friends who don't make a habit of reading that paper might also be interested. I have lots of climbing friends on FB who aren't regular UKC users (in many cases they aren't Brits) but now I can flag something that I think might be of interest to them if I see it here. I'm more likely to do it to an article or a great photo than to a thread, but its not really any skin off my nose for the little button to be there. They are on just about every other site I use!
 TobyA 16 Nov 2010
In reply to macstinator:

> For example, why is there no option to "goto the first new post" on a thread you have been reading and left for a while. You have to scroll down and see where you were.

But that does happen as long as you have closed your browser between visits.
In reply to Tom_Harding:
> How many climbers do you meet that haven’t even heard of UKC?

Do you assume that there is a static number of climbers that exist, know about UKC, and that these people never change?

The reality is that there are many new climbers coming into the sport all the time, and many who drift away (probably a slightly smaller number). Facebook is a brilliant way to communicate with new young climbers who start at their local wall, get really keen and become 'friends' with other climbers, or with older climbers who are just getting involved with the Internet and using Facebook to keep in touch with their friends and family.

Alan
In reply to dunkymonkey17:
> but does it not increase the hits, thereby increasing the amount of money you can charge for adverts?

Well we don't charge in direct proportion to the traffic. However it does add to the appeal of the site in the same way as the relevance of the content, and the degree of user-involvement and many other things.

It is probably more the situation that demonstrating growth is one positive attribute to the site that, when combined with the many other things we do, helps us appeal to more advertisers, and attract new ones.

> I've got no beef with you making money out of this site, it would just be cool to put in the ground-up option inthe logbooks, instead of saying that at present you are doing too much to the site to add it in then months and months later your adding in things to the site that, I personally feel don't really add much to what is already an outstanding site...get what I mean?

It isn't just a matter of adding a bit of code, it requires editing of loads of scripts which is only worth doing when you have a bunch of jobs to do. Logbook improvements are scheduled for next Feb.

Alan

In reply to Tall Clare:
> Are there any plans for people to be able to 'tweet' news articles? I've found this useful on other sites.

Not at the moment.

Alan
In reply to chris j:
> I don't like the facebook button as I'd rather not have facebook friends from work see the rubbish I spout from time to time. It will probably make me less likely to engage in the more frivolous threads.

Well they won't see it unless you click on the 'like' button.

Alan

Tom_Harding 16 Nov 2010
In reply to TobyA:

> I click on an advert on UKC maybe once every two months if it is actually something of interest. I don't consider I ever had to pay for using UKC.....

You may not consider it but you have payed with your time. Your missing the point of banner advertising, its not necessaraly about you clicking on the banner add then buying somthing. Its all brand reinforcment, you see the logo again and again, so when you finnaly do go and buy somthing you are concsiously (and sub-concoisly) familiar with the brand and item. As humans we like familiarity so you buy it over a competitirs. Remeber lots of peopl are making money out of your daytime surfing, the internet wouldent exist as it does today without that.

> None that I know of.

Might just be a local movment then, but around my climbing freinds there is a big anti-UKC sentement.

> Melodramatic and apathetic? That's quite some achievement! Cheers!

You can very much exagerate apathathy
 Hairy Pete 16 Nov 2010
> Well they won't see it unless you click on the 'like' button.

Since the button can be removed by blocking/filtering its web URL this suggests that inclusion of the button causes an off (UKC) site request; this will be visible to employers and other organisations that monitor web usage.

I'm not au fait with the details of how the button works, but won't the request to the facebook servers stall (and therefore slowdown) the loading of each page that the button occurs on?

elliptic 16 Nov 2010

The "like" button doesn't bother me per se but it's definitely in the wrong place: up on the RHS of the thread title banner perhaps?
In reply to Tom_Harding:
> You may not consider it but you have payed with your time. Your missing the point of banner advertising, its not necessaraly about you clicking on the banner add then buying somthing. Its all brand reinforcment, you see the logo again and again, so when you finnaly do go and buy somthing you are concsiously (and sub-concoisly) familiar with the brand and item. As humans we like familiarity so you buy it over a competitirs. Remeber lots of peopl are making money out of your daytime surfing, the internet wouldent exist as it does today without that.

How terrible that would be?!

Imagine, a web site puts images of sexy climbing gear in front of you, which you buy when you want it.

As a bonus it supplies you with news, articles, forums, logbooks, photo galleries, reviews, info databases, videos.

I am not sure how you survive this hardship Tom.

Alan
 petestack 16 Nov 2010
In reply to NickD:
> Can we have an edit function for posts?

Yes, please! Even just a short 'courtesy edit' time (because it's still possible to miss things on preview)...
 petestack 16 Nov 2010
> Our forums are different from most other forums but this is usually considered one of their strengths.

Have to say it's (IMHO) not...

So I know about the RSS feeds, replies to your posts etc, but still find tracking of posts written/read here lags significantly behind some of the packaged solutions.
In reply to Hairy Pete:
> Since the button can be removed by blocking/filtering its web URL this suggests that inclusion of the button causes an off (UKC) site request; this will be visible to employers and other organisations that monitor web usage.
>
> I'm not au fait with the details of how the button works, but won't the request to the facebook servers stall (and therefore slowdown) the loading of each page that the button occurs on?

I don't know quite how it works, and I am sure that any page slow down will be negligible since Nick is reluctant to do anything that slows down a page. Also, plenty of the adverts require off-server requests.

My reply was to the guy who though that the presence of the icon meant that his FB friends could now see everything he was writing, which obviously isn't true.

Alan
 alex 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:

Sounds like there's an anti-speling centement too.
 Hairy Pete 16 Nov 2010
> (In reply to Hairy Pete)
> My reply was to the guy who though that the presence of the icon meant that his FB friends could now see everything he was writing,

Yes I realise that. My point was that you do not need to click the button to alert a "monitor" to the fact that you are browsing a page that is making requests to the facebook server. This happens every time you open a thread.
HP

catt 16 Nov 2010

I think Hairy Pete has a point. Opening a thread generates an off site request to facebook (www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php...etc etc). Facebook is regularly/normally blocked in the work place and requests to blocked URLs are most probably logged and sometimes raise an alert to the network admins.

I think it's important that you get an option in our user profiles to remove this feature before we get in trouble for trying to access sites that we are not trying to access!
 Sir Chasm 16 Nov 2010
In reply to TobyA: It's difficult to imagine where the companies who advertise on here get their money from.
In reply to catt:
> I think Hairy Pete has a point. Opening a thread generates an off site request to facebook (www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php...etc etc). Facebook is regularly/normally blocked in the work place and requests to blocked URLs are most probably logged and sometimes raise an alert to the network admins.

But UKC will be no different from the BBC web site in this respect, and dozens of other very popular web sites.

Alan
 Tom_Harding 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Lol, i understand this Alan just telling Toby, he never thought he had payed in any way. The rest of us know we pay with are souls here....

Im happy enough ignoring a advert its alot cheeper then subscription. Personnaly where ever possible, I try and buy products from companies that dont excesivly advertise.
 Tom_Harding 16 Nov 2010
In reply to alex:

> Sounds like there's an anti-speling centement too.

Get a life or start a post about it, either way who cares
macstinator 16 Nov 2010
In reply to TobyA:

Not to me it doesn't. I like to be able to skip to first new post simply by clicking an icon next to the thread on PHPBB3 so I dont have to trawl through stuff I have all ready read to find out where I am. The server stores all this per username, thus no need for cookies, and you can use it across many devices.

The mark all as read button is a waste of time unless you have read every post on the page. Who does that.

What strengths does this forum exhibit over other types of forum, just out of interest?
 Chris the Tall 16 Nov 2010
In reply to macstinator:
> What strengths does this forum exhibit over other types of forum, just out of interest?
Here's 5 for starters

1) Clear, uncluttered format
2) No avatars - childish, pointless and funny for all of 30 micro-seconds
3) No signature - another example of pointless clutter "Say something once, why say it again?"
4) Link to the users profile on posts - that profile tells you so much about the person and how genuine they are
5) Ability to customise both the forums you see and how they are displayed

As others have said, the fact that this is not an off the shelf forum package is one of the reasons many prefer it to other sites
 alex 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:

Your appalling spelling offends my eyes far more than a facebook icon. Could we perhaps have a button to hide you?
 Tall Clare 16 Nov 2010
In reply to alex:

Tom unfortunately gets himself banned with reasonable regularity so I wouldn't worry too much.

Tom - every company advertises, even if that's through word of mouth alone (one of the most effective forms of marketing there is).
 catt 16 Nov 2010
> (In reply to catt)
> [...]
>
> But UKC will be no different from the BBC web site in this respect, and dozens of other very popular web sites.
>
> Alan

In a very quick check... the BBC only do it when you explicitly press a button. UKC is doing it implicitly behind the scenes, for every user viewing a thread.

I don't want FB to know when and what I'm reading on UKC, wether or not I click 'Like'. This currently appears to be the case.

I think you guys do a great job and are very good at listening to us the punters. Quite a few folk have asked for this feature to be configurable. Or it could be coded to only talk to FB when the user clicks the button. Niether option is an unreasonable request?

cheers,
Iain
 Tom_Harding 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: Nice one clare, why dont you actually read what i said rather then spewing rubbish.
 Tall Clare 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:

I know you said 'excessively', you didn't define what you mean by 'excessive'.

Less of the insults, please. They add little, if anything, to your argument.
 TobyA 16 Nov 2010
In reply to macstinator: When you click on a thread, aren't all the messages that you read last time all hidden? On the front page of the forum in the replies column it tells you how many new postings there have been since last time you read that thread - so for example when I came back to this thread it said 23 of 120, and when I click on it only the new 23 are visible - below the banner saying "... not showing 96 older messages ..."

Are you not seeing that? I'm a bit confused because I think UKC has always done exactly what you are saying it doesn't, unless I've misunderstood your message.
 Tom_Harding 16 Nov 2010
In reply to alex:

lol, posting on UKC has helped a lot. I can't spot mistakes in my own writing no matter how many times I read it. I check everything on UKC 2 or three times and normally spell correct in word. I didn’t this time.

To be honest it always comes up when I’m having a debate with someone, and in general I take it that they have run out of on topic things to say so stoop to personal insults. You managed to decipher everything I said yourself, so why not pat yourself on the back for being really really clever and just reply to me?
 TobyA 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) Nice one clare, why dont you actually read what i said rather then spewing rubbish.

As I said the other day, if you use the spell check add-on in Firefox, reading what you say would be considerably easier Tom!

On the advertising, I am aware of what adverts do and how they work thanks. I'm just surprised you seem to find it difficult to mentally screen them out. We are surrounded by attempts to raise brand awareness, which is why passive advertising has such limited success now. It is far more important that brands try to build relationships with consumers, which the good ones do much more with active engagement - i.e. social networking. For example above this text I'm typing there is a slightly annoying flickering ad saying "looking for a guide?" My answer is no, hence I just ignore it. Perhaps you value your time more than me.
 Hairy Pete 16 Nov 2010
> (In reply to catt)
> But UKC will be no different from the BBC web site in this respect, and dozens of other very popular web sites.
Many of which are blocked. I remember a time when the ability access UKC in the work place was considered sufficient to warrant the setting up of a proxy URL. Has this changed?

> But UKC will be no different from ...
er ... are you really suggesting you want UKC to be no different?

TobyA 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: BTW, just noticed that for photo moderators, you can see on the front page forum that there are photos waiting. Excellent idea. I have slacked off from photo moderating recently, but mainly because I never remembered to check if some were waiting. I expect that will up the speed of people getting their photos approved.
 Adam Lincoln 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:
> (In reply to TobyA)
> Might just be a local movment then, but around my climbing freinds there is a big anti-UKC sentement.

Yet you still continue to post?
 Tom_Harding 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Tom - every company advertises, even if that's through word of mouth alone (one of the most effective forms of marketing there is).

As i said to toby ‘You may not consider it but you have paid with your time. Your missing the point of banner advertising, its not necessarily about you clicking on the banner add then buying something. It’s all brand reinforcement, you see the logo again and again, so when you finally do go and buy something you are consciously (and sub-concoisly) familiar with the brand and item. As humans we like familiarity so you buy it over competitors. Remember lots of people are making money out of your daytime surfing, the internet wouldn’t exist as it does today without that.’
I understand companies advertise clare.....

> I know you said 'excessively', you didn't define what you mean by 'excessive'.

Sorry can’t find it.
 Tall Clare 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> [...]
>
> As i said to toby ‘You may not consider it but you have paid with your time. Your missing the point of banner advertising, its not necessarily about you clicking on the banner add then buying something. It’s all brand reinforcement, you see the logo again and again, so when you finally do go and buy something you are consciously (and sub-concoisly) familiar with the brand and item. As humans we like familiarity so you buy it over competitors. Remember lots of people are making money out of your daytime surfing, the internet wouldn’t exist as it does today without that.’
> I understand companies advertise clare.....

I'm glad. It's just not that obvious from what you say.
>
> [...]
>
> Sorry can’t find it.

Probably because you mispelled it...

* by - Tom_Harding ? on - 14:19 Tue

[...]

Im happy enough ignoring a advert its alot cheeper then subscription. Personnaly where ever possible, I try and buy products from companies that dont excesivly advertise.

Tom_Harding 16 Nov 2010
In reply to TobyA:

Lol fair enough. I would say though - don't mentally screen them out, actively remember them then never buy the products from whoever shows you excessive numbers of adverts. Obviously you can’t live by it all the time but if we all did it a little the advertising world would be very different place (and a hell of lot less invasive).
 SCC 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:
> (In reply to alex)
>
> [...]
>
> Get a life or start a post about it, either way who cares

Says the man moaning about one small icon!
 Tom_Harding 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tall Clare:

Excessive = We buy any car
 Tall Clare 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:

It's an interesting point, but probably one worth starting another thread about as it'll get lost in this one and I suspect Alan's already gone out for a long walk whilst he debates whether to push the 'delete UKC' button and go off to join Chris Craggs writing guidebooks in the sun.
In reply to macstinator:

> I like to be able to skip to first new post simply by clicking an icon next to the thread on PHPBB3 so I dont have to trawl through stuff I have all ready read to find out where I am.

Errmmm... that's pretty much how UKC works for me. Except that threads default to going to the first new post since my last visit (whilst showing the OP). If I want to see all the thread, I click on 'read all messages on this topic'.

Likewise, new, or updated threads are indicated by a colour scheme in the 'topics' listing.

It's not PHPBB3, but, having seem some revolting forums implemented with PHPBB3, I'm quite glad. As this thread shows, people get used to the way things are, and don't like change...
macstinator 16 Nov 2010
In reply to captain paranoia:

Seems like I am in a minority here! When I click on a thread I go right to the top! Help!!
macstinator 16 Nov 2010
In reply to macstinator: Right, I take it all back - there is a check box that was ticked in the options.
 snoopyloop 16 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: facebook! facebook! facebook!.. its getting everywhere, and while i use it. I agree also with the folks on here... one more vote for no more facebook on here
 chris j 16 Nov 2010
> (In reply to Hairy Pete)
> [...]
>
> My reply was to the guy who though that the presence of the icon meant that his FB friends could now see everything he was writing, which obviously isn't true.
>
> Alan

No I didn't, I'm not that much of a neanderthal luddite. But it puts things outside my control as other mutual acquaintances could click like on everything and spread my drivelling across the web... I just like to keep my online personas (climbing, work, non-climbing friends etc) separate as much as possible. Hence why I choose not to use your app to spew my logbook across my facebook wall and so forth.

TobyA 16 Nov 2010
In reply to macstinator:
> Right, I take it all back - there is a check box that was ticked in the options.

Nice one! Now the only thing is if you some how close your browser before finishing reading its really hard to remember what you haven't actually read yet!
In reply to TobyA:
> Nice one! Now the only thing is if you some how close your browser before finishing reading its really hard to remember what you haven't actually read yet!

I don't get that. I can close my browser, shut down my computer, go out for a walk, come back and start it all up again and still see the same arrangement of threads plus new ones generated and added to in my absence. I need to click on 'Mark All as Read' to zip up the threads.

Alan

As far as the FB Like button goes. I dont mind it, probably wont use it but said that a few years ago about my 'emergency' mobile phone. Do agree that it would be better placed in the thread header bar rather than at the bottom of the OP.

Keep up the good work guys... if you dont keep trying new things you'll never get any improvements
Profanisaurus Rex 17 Nov 2010

I agree with the posters who suggest putting the "Like" button elsewhere. It's current location "interrupts" the thread. I would also prefer to "Like" individual posts rather than the whole thread.

On a complimentary note, I really like the changes to the photo moderation link. Making the text bold when there are photos awaiting approval, and having the category definitions in the header bars are excellent ideas!
 Michael Ryan 17 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:
> (In reply to TobyA) Oh come on Toby, the people who pay for the site are people like you and me looking at adverts. The companies that want to advertise negotiate a rate based on the number of hits to the website

Alan has answered Tom. But I will add my view to as I actually sit around tables with climbing companies who advertise at UKC (Alan does as well, as well as steering the UKC/Rockfax ship).

Hits is a really odd word, I rarely use it. It really doesn't mean that much. Say 'hits' at a meeting and you get puzzled looks, same with 'impressions'.

I talk in language that people can understand: readers, viewers, individuals, climbers, visits, visitors, even absolute uniques can confuse.

But anyway, it's not just about how many, but quality: how many pages a person looks at and how long they spend on UKC, and of high importance is what they are actually looking at.

We have a mix of editorial content and user-submitted content: both are very important and both cost: 6 figures annually.

That money, that pays for UKC, comes primarily from climbing companies (and in the past Rockfax). Companies promote their gear here because we all buy gear.

It's a mutually beneficial relationship between climbers, UKC and climbing outdoor companies. Climbers get great content, we get paid for doing our jobs and outdoor companies sell gear and can pay for their costs. We all benefit, but we all have costs.

Advertising at UKC isn't just about banners, they are important but are only one part of the integrated advertising and partnering that we offer.

Mick
 fimm 17 Nov 2010

Hmmm, interesting. I used to be able to see the Facebook button thing, but now I see a truncated thing which looks like it says "this content has been blocked by your organisation"...
 Tris 17 Nov 2010
In reply to fimm:
>
> Hmmm, interesting. I used to be able to see the Facebook button thing, but now I see a truncated thing which looks like it says "this content has been blocked by your organisation"...

Does your work use Websense by any chance?
 fimm 17 Nov 2010
In reply to Tris:
> Does your work use Websense by any chance?

I don't know, but I think it does - if I go here http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3206 instead of the video I see a thing which says the content has been blocked and mentioning websense categories.

ebygomm 17 Nov 2010
In reply to fimm: at work I get a picture of a squid
 fimm 17 Nov 2010

And now - the facebook logo is back!!! Curiouser and curiouser (to coin a phrase).
After a week trial we found that the extra 'Likes' from the FB feature were not clocking up any significant extra 'recommendations'. In response to some of the concerns raised on this thread, in particular the privacy concern, and the bandwidth, we have removed the 'FB Like system' from the forums.

We are looking into an improved system for the other places in the site where it currently resides which doesn't query the Facebook site when loading a page on UKC. It will also send a better summary to Facebook Friends when a user recommends a news item/article/photo on UKC which will include a summary and a thumbnail.

Alan

Chris the Tall 22 Nov 2010
One person likes this !

fimm 22 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:

I call that being responsive to your users' opinions.
 LastBoyScout 22 Nov 2010

Cool - thanks.

Just out of interest, how many things were actually "liked" in that week?
In reply to Tom_Harding:
Any decent business listens to feedback from it's customers
Removed User 22 Nov 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC: Who's in second place?
 Stefan Kruger 22 Nov 2010
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC:

Mick, Alan - thanks for listening to your users - that's a rare quality.
 Toby S 22 Nov 2010

Thanks Al et al for listening to the punters, it's much appreciated.

However I would like to request that you deal with folk a tad more courteously. Granted some folk have given you grief but don't respond in kind. It comes across as petulant and rude.

Calling one of your users 'idiot of the year' is out of order imho.

Cheers,

Toby
 Michael Ryan 22 Nov 2010
In reply to Tom_Harding:

Sorry about that Toby.

Tom's just won smart Alec of the year as well as ijut.

I rarely speak like this but this character has a history of being a prize prat, and I am one amongst many to think that.

Tom shows a total disrespect to us and a misundersatnding of how we work, part of which is to listen to climbers who read, view and use UKC.

It can be incredibly demotivating for some us to read some of the comments Tom comes out with.

Sometimes you have to put political-correctness and diplomacy to one side and say it like it is....there is too much false positive spin in this world which glosses over reality.

Mick

In reply to Toby S:
It's not often I say this, but I agree with Mick
 Queenie 22 Nov 2010

Glad the button has gone <thumbs up icon>
 Tony the Blade 22 Nov 2010

I was neither for it nor against it - but I thank you and the team at UKC HQ for listening to the masses and acting. A rare experience these days.
 streapadair 22 Nov 2010

Thanks, Alan and Mick. Seriously, it demeaned the site.
 snoopyloop 26 Nov 2010
In reply to Alan James - UKC: i like this site, lots of amusing things said at times, others very educational, and also the odd 'Yeah right mate your a clown comment' ... how about an internal ' Like' box???? .. just me ten pence worth :O)
 Enty 26 Nov 2010
> (In reply to Tom_Harding)
>
> Sorry about that Toby.
>
> Tom's just won smart Alec of the year as well as ijut.
>
> I rarely speak like this but this character has a history of being a prize prat, and I am one amongst many to think that.
>
> Tom shows a total disrespect to us and a misundersatnding of how we work, part of which is to listen to climbers who read, view and use UKC.
>
> It can be incredibly demotivating for some us to read some of the comments Tom comes out with.
>
> Sometimes you have to put political-correctness and diplomacy to one side and say it like it is....there is too much false positive spin in this world which glosses over reality.
>
> Mick

Bugger - where's the Like button gone? Well said Mick.

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...