UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Mountaineering In Antarctica: Brits Were Here

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 22 Nov 2010
Damien Gildea on Anderson, 4 kb“Oh, are there mountains in Antarctica?”

I used to get this question a lot, when I told people what I do. It seems for most people Antarctica is either penguins flopping into the sea or Captain Scott battling across a barren plain of blizzards...

Damien Gildea gives us a brief snapshot of the history of mountaineering in Antarctica.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3174

JR 22 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:

This is inspiring...
 Scarab 22 Nov 2010
VERY interesting book, and something that is needed in this market!
 Tom_Harding 22 Nov 2010
Queen maud land the new Baffin?
 Alex T (RAFMA) 22 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Wow - some fantastic images there!

People might be interested in having a look at the plans for the British Services Antarctic Expedition 2012, which aims to climb routes on the Antarctic Penninsula and explore new ground in the centenary year of Capt Robert Falcon Scott's expedition.

http://www.bsae2012.co.uk

We will be raising money for Help for Heroes in the process.
 Tom_Harding 22 Nov 2010
In reply to Alex T (RAFMA): Intresting, i wish them all the best. My Dad had some connections to Antactica so i share the same middle name as RFS.
 Damo 23 Nov 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:

Just a note, in the pics for this article, 'Os Sh Mo Gar' refers to the peaks, left to right, 'Mt. Ostenso, Mt. Shear, Mt. Morris and Mt. Gardner'. Gardner is the fourth-highest mountain in Antarctica.

D
 Damo 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Alex T (RAFMA):

Alex, your website says "This expedition will be the first “Joint” expedition mounted to the Antarctic Peninsula by the British Armed Services".

Is there some reason to exclude the two previous British Joint Services Expeditions to the Peninsula - 1976 to Elephant Island and 1984 to Brabant Island ? Books were published about both.
 Alex T (RAFMA) 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Damo:
Hi Damo

I'll check that out, thanks.

Alex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...