UKC

What's your BMI (Butch Manly Index)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iwan 23 Nov 2010
Are all climbers 'racing snakes' are are there still a few heifers on the crags/hills?

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

My BMI is 27.
In reply to Iwan: 26.1 I know Ive that kinda middle love handle thing or the weight that kills.
 thin bob 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:
I have a moustache, so I'm already at about 8 on a butch and manly scale, even if i'm wearing a pinny with my hair in curlers and talking about tampons.
and BMI 24, some of which is muscle, more of which is moustache and, i suspect, rather a lot is adipose ;-(
In reply to thin bob: youre a salmonid?
 Rob15 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 19! getting a bit on the low side!
Herman Shake 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 20.2, veggie (live with vegans) and cycle a lot. Rear wheel drive climber using rapidity to compensate for big arms.
 waterbaby 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

Then again it's all a bit skewed because it takes no account of muscle, which as we all know weighs heavier than fat! So at 27 you could be fine
 PontiusPirate 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

Though my fat percentage is sub 20% of total body mass.

This means I have heavy legs... or maybe its my 'mountaineer' beard that's hiding all the weight...?

PP.
 mhawk 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 25.8, bugger and I thought I was a healthy weight!!!
 The New NickB 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

Because of my body shape I would be seriously underweight if my BMI was less than 23.
 Andy Farnell 23 Nov 2010
In reply to rampentchopper: 21.1, time to go on a diet...

Andy F
 Stuzz 23 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

21.7, could still do with loosing a few pounds though!
 Tony the Blade 23 Nov 2010

26.8 and overweight (fatty)

Feck off!
 deepsoup 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:
My BMI = bloody massive innit.
 gaz_jones 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 27.2! depressing to hear first thing in the morning!
 JimR 24 Nov 2010
In reply to gaz_jones:

27.4 .. and I've aleady lost 4Kg in the last fortnight!

My mate reckons half a grade per 4Kg .. so 2 full grades to go for
 terryturbojr 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

My 5' 11" and 12 stone 12 gives me

I blame it on my big bones.
In reply to Iwan:
Best get some pies down me neck...
 Leo Woodfelder 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 21.2 Long, gangly and not particularly graceful!
 Gandalf 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:
lowest yet at 17.9!
apperently i am almost in the red for under weight :S

but i try to put weight on, it just doesnt happen!!
 RagingSphere 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 28.2... Perhaps its time for a diet/exercise binge!
 jkarran 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

23... good enough for now.

jk
 Stuart.Young 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:
38.2 obese,i am quite fat but also a very large build with short tree trunk legs
I reckon even at minimum fatness i'd still be around 16 stone which for my height still puts me at overweight
I lost 5kg and improved by a grade but that was also while i was a beginner so technique may have improved too
 Scarab9 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

22.1 - booyah!
Wiley Coyote2 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:
Happily having a general check up when I told my GP that I'd been feeling fine until his nurse had just calculated me as borderline obese he said: "BMI? Don't worry that's bollocks." I didn't realise they weighed so much but, then again, he's had his hands on 'em so he should know.
In reply to Iwan:

21.5 I have Dr Dukan and a fierce training regime to thank for this though.
 mattrm 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

24.3, under, only just. For me it's an extra grade per 1/2 stone.
 Kid Spatula 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

21.5 bang smack in the middle of healthy weight.
 no feet 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: I'm 20.2
 PeterJuggler 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 20.2 also. I'm naturally skinny but juggling and climbing has given me a bit of upper body muscle.
 Mi|es 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 19.9 apparently I'm not as skinny as I thought I was :o Never really been a fan of BMI though because of how it doesn't take muscle/fat into account.
 Route Adjuster 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:
Currently 29, down from 32. I am currently climbing as well as I have ever done, a little overweight perhaps but not fat in any way shape or form other than some middle aged luv handles.

I must have heavy bones!
 Shani 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:
> Are all climbers 'racing snakes' are are there still a few heifers on the crags/hills?
>
> http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
>
> My BMI is 27.

Lord_ash2000 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: I'm 22.1 apprently.

Seems to be further towards overweight than the middle which worries me, although I have been doing a lot of power training recently
 Haighy 24 Nov 2010
Around 23/24 ish. Got it done at the docs at a check up and she wasnt in the slightest bit bothered it was nearing 'overweight'
We did do bodyfat % in one of our lab sessions, was at 13.5% which is reasonable to say I eat like shit and do very little cardio!
 kathrync 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

Need to put some more on for the winter season!
 sean0409 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 21.9 on Wii fit board it says I should be 22 so one more big mac a week should sort me out
 John Ww 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 24.1 - pure muscle!!
In reply to Iwan:

Mine's been around 21.6 - 21.8 all my life.
 Jimbo C 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

A touch higher than it used to be. I can now pinch an inch on my belly.
 Tall Clare 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

24. It's fair to say i wouldn't blow over in a high wind at the moment.
 quirky 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 25.4...

bugger i nearly dropped my Kebab onto my cream cake!!
 neilh 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

here we go 22.7
In reply to Iwan: BLOODY HELL! I put in the wrong height by mistake and got told I was obese! Actually, upon correction it is 22.9 so I might not have to chop one of my legs off.
 Reach>Talent 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:
Had a mini health check yesterday...

Height 200.5cm Weight 107kg BMI 26.6
Body fat (ultrasound) 18.4%

So not too bad but could be better.
 Markwww 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: snap mate. BMI 27
 jamestheyip 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

18.5 now and was never beyond 19. Had been 17.5 for a few years. I do eat a lot!
 the sheep 24 Nov 2010
In reply to jamestheyip:
Weighing in with a hefty 30, need to lose the beer gut i feel. Still i play rugby most weekends and need the bulk for scrummaging.... Honest
 nniff 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

21.6, which is smack in the middle of the green area.
6 feet, 72.5kg (imperially challenged)

So how come I can't get any ******** trousers to fit me?
 Offwidth 24 Nov 2010
In reply to the sheep: Bugger, I was equal top until that.
 fimm 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

Mine is 21, which is OK. I'd like to be a bit lighter, though.
 Doug Hughes 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

Interesting clicking on some of the profile pics here - I didn't know 'obese' people were so normal-looking! Is there another word to describe the real bloaters?

I'm 25.1.
 Offwidth 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Doug Hughes: Off-width?
banned profile 74 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Offwidth: 24.1 5'7 and 70kg
 Rick Ashton 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 23 and very chuffed. Was nearly 4 Stone heavier back in January.
 PeterJuggler 24 Nov 2010
In reply to Doug Hughes: Morbidly obese
 rmoffat 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: Climb more! please everyone just climb more!!!
 cripper 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:
20.6! and apparently at my last full check-up the doctor said i had approx 8-10% body fat, so at 6ft2 and 11stone6 thats not bad going!
mountainsheep 25 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 18.4 Think I may need some more burgers.
 erinbastian 26 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 21.7 not too bad.
 peewee2008 26 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 18.3, need to get eating
Starkey92 26 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 19.9! seems grand to me
 Lumbering Oaf 26 Nov 2010
In reply to Fawksey:

Also BMI of 26.1

I'm short(ish) and have a big head and chest and tiny legs! I easily topple...ah well...
 ape1980 28 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:
18.9 and rising, only been climbing for a couple of months and BMI has risen by 0.2. I guess this is because of additional muscle mass in my arms and chest. First time I have ever been a 'healthy' weight!
 dazwan 28 Nov 2010
In reply to Rick Ashton: Well done. A bit better than me! Was that just climbing or dieting/other exercise/etc.?

26.5 at the mo after losing 3 stone since last Dec. (BMI for back then is 32.5). Mostly down to climbing with 0.5 stone last week due to flu.

So BMI not too good, but better than 12 months ago.
 lost1977 28 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

27.3 with a 32" waist
 lrandall 28 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

18.4...just on the unhealthy side of things. Don't feel very unhealthy mind, unless I try running further then 2 miles!
 Tiberius 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

24, in the green, but at the 'heavy' end. I could lose weight, but I'd prefer to gain height really
In reply to Iwan: 22.8. Not quite a racing snake these days, more a touring snake.

T.
 Puppythedog 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 21.1,
My waist size has crept up in the last year from 27" to 30". This is because of the 1 and a half stone I've put on in the last year. i'm pleased to have this weight, It makes me more healthy, I just need to tighten my middle now. So I'm off swimming before my late shift today.
 lost1977 29 Nov 2010
In reply to puppythedog:

if swimming is good for the waistline then explain whales to me
 Reach>Talent 29 Nov 2010
In reply to lost1977:
if swimming is good for the waistline then explain whales to me

The problem is the definition of waistline. In the case of a whale it is the narrow bit at the back before the big fin shaped thing

gribble 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

Oh. 23. I blame pies and beer. But they taste soooo good....
 Queenie 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Ha!

Queenie 29 Nov 2010
This thread sadly reminded me of the most repulsive fat-man's-arse vision I was treated to yesterday in the superarket. He was in his late 30's, doing the yoof-street-look with jeans and kecks by his knees, huge flabby hairy arse and a deep dark recess for our delectation. I only went in for cooked breakfast and it damned near put me right off.
=(
 snailonvalium 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: mine is underweight in the 17's,but im healthier than i was 18months ago!
 Wee Davie 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

>Happily having a general check up when I told my GP that I'd been feeling fine until his nurse had just calculated me as borderline obese he said: "BMI? Don't worry that's bollocks." I didn't realise they weighed so much but, then again, he's had his hands on 'em so he should know.

Bravo sir!

According to BMI charts I'm 'overweight'. Big deal, I know I'm a pie man right now and could be a good bit lighter- but the problem with the BMI thing is once I get into the normal range I'm as slim as I can be for my build. I'm never going to run for Kenya if you get my drift.
Removed User 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

What would be interesting would be for someone to collect enough information to draw a graph of BMI vs current climbing grade and see if there's an optimum.

23.8 and going down.

If you think about BMI is a very rough measure of your thickness. If we assume everyone has the same density and assume that the ration of height to width is the same for everyone then BMI just works out how thick you'd need to be to reach the standard density. Lot's of assumtions in there so I can't see it being anything other than approximate.
 John_Hat 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Wiley Coyote:
> (In reply to Iwan)
> Happily having a general check up when I told my GP that I'd been feeling fine until his nurse had just calculated me as borderline obese he said: "BMI? Don't worry that's bollocks." I

I've had a couple of arguments with a couple of nurses at check-ups where they look at my BMI and start tutting and saying I'm overweight. I particularly liked the one where she said I needed more exercise at a time when I was climbing 30-odd hours a week, plus attending aikido for 6 hours a week.

BMI was originally introduced for the mass classification of sedentary populations, NOT active individuals. It doesn't work at all for the old and the young, and was never supposed to be applied at the individual level, as the healthy weight for individuals varies on a hell of a lot more than just height.

However, its quite a nice check-card for the terminally stupid medical folk who can't think for themselves, and places people in a neat box (and neatness is far more preferable to accuracy in some circles).

For what its worth, I'm 24.9, but tend to be on the BMI high side because of my build, which is basically stocky. My physio once described me as "short and stout" - bless. I'd take issue with the "short" as I'm 5'10, but the "stout" is fair.

On the other hand, Lady Blue has a BMI of around 17.5, as she's tall and slim. We are both healthy weights for our build.

Like you, several doctors have said to me that BMI is utter rubbish and "healthy weight" in something as complex as a human body is not a function of an extremely simple two variable calculation.
 dunc56 29 Nov 2010
In reply to John_Hat: Just give us the figure and forget the excuses

To be fair I am "solid" too.
 PeteH 29 Nov 2010
In reply to John_Hat:
BMI isn't *complete* rubbish... It does have its uses, although only really if you can't see or examine the person in question anyway (I've never been taken by surprise, shall we say, by a BMI of 40 or 50 when I'd already seen the person in question).

The main problem in generally healthy people is that muscle weighs more than fat, and so more-than-average muscle increases your BMI more than excess fat. Lose fat and gain muscle, and you may find your BMI goes up.

What most of us want is to reduce body fat percentage, which is more difficult to measure. Multiple skinfold thickness measurements with a purpose-made set of callipers is probably the most accurate accessible way, although much more accessible (but less accurate) is electrical impedance measurement, which is what they use on most of those coin-operated machine type thingies.

Pete.
 SAF 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: My current BMI is 23.4 (11'2) which is about 1/2 stone heavier than i'd like to be. At my lowest (last winter) i was 20.7 (9'11) which is well within the normal range, but at that weight most my family and friends told be i looked to thin, i am 5'8 and at that time was a size 8. Even though i was totally rundown, barely eating, barely sleeping and feeling generally crap, i could still feel a positive difference with my climbing by being that much lighter, my boobs got really small too...tragic!

According to the BMI calculator i could go as low as 8 stone 12 which as a rule i drop a clothes size per stone would make me a small size 6 or a us 0-2, and there's no way that's healthy in my opinion!
 becdent 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan:

Im a Sports dietitan and dont use BMI when it comes to working with individuals who take part in physical acitivity on a regular basis or athletes as its a waste of time. It does not take into account body composition per se. BMI does not consider the bodies composition of body fat and muscle mass (see below). That is why it is predicting for some of you that you are on the upper end of the over weight scale. When actually you are likely to pretty healthy.

BMI - Body mass index is used mainly within the NHS and weight management community to determine someones health status using a height/weight calculation. BMI equation = weight(kg)/height2 (metre squared)

What is used in sport now to predict performance or determine an optimal physqiue for a particular athlete/sport is Skin fold testing. Where different anatomical sites are used around the body and a skinfold (fat pinch basically) is taken. From these measurements is where a percentage body fat can be calculated.

There is some research out there but not much that have linked climbing performance to skinfold values/percentage body fat. So it would certainly be a fascinating study to do to determine if a trend exists for body composition against a grade.

Interesting topic!
 Patrick803 29 Nov 2010
In reply to Iwan: 25.4 cheeky bastards reckon Im overweight !! I reckon its a bit spare for winter mountaineering !!
 Evilllamas 21 Dec 2010
I'm very thin... and am mainly made of bones...
so 20.5 If i remember corectly from a few weeks ago
I was about 145lb though.
 Bud Fox 30 Dec 2010
In reply to Iwan:

31.41!

I'm an Institute of Sport supported 'athlete' (ha!), and when we all did our BMI/body fat testing, there were only about 5% within the range that one would call 'normal'; the rest of us technically obese.

Ouch, my pride!
 martinturner 30 Dec 2010
In reply to Iwan:

ALthough I've just ate a full cooked lunch, so I'd presume it'd be lower normally
 john_mx 01 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan: 18.98 ahaha i need to eat more
 Worcester_Ash 01 Jan 2011
In reply to becdent:

Agreed not the best measure for predicting performance or identifying fat mass. However as you mention it is an excellent public health surveillance tool, and it is also useful for identifying individuals at increased risk of health problems.

Time and time again the largest, and most robustly designed epidemiology studies have shown that those individuals who are categorised as 'overweight' or 'obese' have an increased risk of morbidity, mortality, and development of the major chronic lifestyle diseases. This suggests that the 'majority' of individuals with a high BMI also have a high fat mass, hence the increased risk. That's where something like waist circumference or waist-to-hip ratio is a better predictor of disease risk.
 euanryan 01 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan: 13th centile for my age, but then again, I'm a skinny little bugger!
 bouldery bits 01 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan:

24.3kg

Like to think it's mostly muscle too..
jackcarr 01 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan:

21.56. Tall and skinny!
 MeMeMe 01 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan:

18.94 but I've had flu and not been eating much.
http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm says <2 percentile for my age, I shall just have to force myself to eat more cakes.
 Jack Luke 01 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan: 18.98 Vegetarian mountain biking photography student! Sounds pretty acceptable albeit on the low end.
 riverwarrior 02 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan:
> Are all climbers 'racing snakes' are are there still a few heifers on the crags/hills?
>
> http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
>
> My BMI is 27.

I did this test and at my fittest ever condition was 'close to death' according to the results! As far as climbing's concerned I've never led anything over HVS. At 17st 10lb and 6' 2" the BMI test said I was obese, yet I managed 14.2 on the 'bleep test', ran a 100m in just over 12 secs and managed to run 100km in just over 20 hours.

I believe that UK Forces raised the BMI limit for recruits by a couple of points in recent years as the snakes were impressing in initial testing but the heifers were lasting the course and taking injuries better!
 abr1966 02 Jan 2011
In reply to riverwarrior: good point...mine is about 27 at the moment, I passed out of Lympstone aged 20 with a bmi of 26 and was fitter aerobic wise than i've ever been. For times when i've been really pushing it rock climbing i've dropped weight to about 12 stone and looked awful (with people asking me if i was ill)but for good winter performance i'm better with a bit of extra bulk...
 JFraser123 02 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan: 18.21.. lanky streak of piss
 riverwarrior 03 Jan 2011
In reply to abr1966:
> (In reply to riverwarrior) good point...mine is about 27 at the moment, I passed out of Lympstone aged 20 with a bmi of 26 and was fitter aerobic wise than i've ever been. For times when i've been really pushing it rock climbing i've dropped weight to about 12 stone and looked awful (with people asking me if i was ill)but for good winter performance i'm better with a bit of extra bulk...

Aye - similar story with P-Coy - was boxing and playing rugby league semi-pro too, but still 'morbidly obese' on the BMI chart. Guess my point is that this scale can't define muscle/bone/fat mass.
 Postmanpat 03 Jan 2011
In reply to riverwarrior:
> (In reply to abr1966)
> [...]
>
> Aye - similar story with P-Coy - was boxing and playing rugby league semi-pro too, but still 'morbidly obese' on the BMI chart. Guess my point is that this scale can't define muscle/bone/fat mass.

Every player in the England rugby union team is obese on this scale and I suspect many footballers would be.
I'm 5 10 and reckon 11 1/2 stone is my healthy weight and people start saying I look gaunt.This scale reckons I could go to 10 stone and be fine. More likely I'd be dead from anorexia.

boingsplash 03 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan:
22 it is what it is it is just a number
 riverwarrior 05 Jan 2011
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to riverwarrior)
> [...]
>
> Every player in the England rugby union team is obese on this scale and I suspect many footballers would be.
> I'm 5 10 and reckon 11 1/2 stone is my healthy weight and people start saying I look gaunt.This scale reckons I could go to 10 stone and be fine. More likely I'd be dead from anorexia.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article786230.ece
21. Right in the middle of the "green zone".
 Toerag 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan: 23.86 for me. My problem (climbing-wise) is sheer weight - I'm 6'1" and about 82kg and I think there's a limit to how much weight human fingers can support - when I was a stone lighter I could pull on significantly worse holds.
 Hawkscry 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan:
BMI was a system brought about primarily for cattle and then adapted for humans. Not an accurate measure of someone's health.
 Mita 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan: 19.5, oh dear think I need more pies.... :0)
 Wonrek 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Mita: Oh dear, I'm about to keel over with a heart attack......

Cx
 KatieG 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Sarah Finney:
Good Comment there - I'm slightly shorter than you (5'7) and my BMI is 20.9
(This is low for me)...BUT I find it scarey that I could also weigh 8.12(!) I'd look awful&goodness knows what i'd have to put my body through to weigh that little and then I honestly don't think I'd have the energy to do much&that would be no life.
I think the thing with 'BMI' is it really does not take into account (as people have mentioned) muscle/fat/general build/fitness etc
Because it does not take in these factors it can just leave people feeling rubbish about themselves and I have seen/know people who are 'overweight' or have a 'high BMI' who climb/run/cycle very well!
 LITTLE SAM 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan: Ive never worked out my BMI, but apparently its 19.18, interesting. Dont know what the correlation between this and my climbing is as you have to addon the weight of a rack, pack etc.
 Mita 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Clears:
> (In reply to Mita) Oh dear, I'm about to keel over with a heart attack......
>
>
>
> Cx

So go on, tell us what yours is?? It should be much less from a few months ago... :0)
 Fishmate 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan:

20.66, been pretty much that for the last 25 yrs.
 birdie num num 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan:
I seem to be clocking in at an enviable 42
 Matt Schwarz 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan: ive managed to go from 29.4 to 24.4 in just over a year, didn't realise i was that fat at the time, even though i could still pass the army PFT! climbings definatly easier been a whole load lighter!
 JIMBO 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan: Mine has been consistently 30 to 31 for years but I'm not sure I would really call myself obese!
 ashley1_scott 21 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan:

Mine is 24.1, Body fat 15.3%, Water content 61.9%
Could I lose a bit of body fat, Yes. Could I lose some weight, No.
I use to do a lot of sports that we mainly power related, so I have a lot of muscle in my legs, 100mtr time 11.86.
 mmmhumous 22 Jan 2011
In reply to Iwan:

I wonder how many pshycological and eating dissorders the NHS's obsession with BMI will be have be responsible for.

When I'm at my own personal "healthy weight" The NHS equate my BMI of 27 to slap bang in the middle of oveweight.

To get to what the NHS deams a healthy weight for me, I would quite literally cost me an arm and and a leg!
DosacV 24 Jan 2011
In reply to mmmhumous: wonder how many pshycological and eating dissorders the NHS's obsession with BMI will be have be responsible for.

Probably none. The NHS does not have an 'obsession', that's just a juvenile way of looking at it. It's a guide, and it's marketed as such - people are lazy and want a quick way to know roughly whether or not they're at a healthy weight. The BMI isn't used because it's completely reliable or because it's perfect, it's used because it's quick, and easy.

In reply to mmmhumous: When I'm at my own personal "healthy weight" The NHS equate my BMI of 27 to slap bang in the middle of oveweight.

Again, you, and a lot of people within this thread, are being childish for the sake of it and over-simplifying. So yes, looking at that BMI alone says that you're overweight. But, the fact that you know you have a high level of muscle means you can't really be considered overweight. Remember: you are not average. Most people don't have as much muscle as you do. The reason the BMI system is useful is because it's marketed towards an average person, and that person is unlikely to be involved in some activity that seriously beefs up their muscle size without learning a bit more about what makes up a healthy body weight.

The people that run the NHS are not stupid - they have their reasons for the way they do things (and they do not hide the fact that they know it it isn't a 'one size fits all' assessment - those don't exist so we need to settle for something), so it's silly to suggest that this is put forward as some extremely basic level of ignorance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...