UKC

New climbing wall in Bury

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
harry spotter 27 Nov 2010
Heard a rumour there's a wall opening soon. Anyone got any information on it?
 chalkyjim 27 Nov 2010
In reply to harry spotter:
Opening early December I think
 Lord_ash2000 28 Nov 2010
In reply to chalkyjim: Really? I heard about this project. It didn't look like it would ever take off to be honest. Good to see it might though.
 chalkyjim 28 Nov 2010
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
Yeah it's definitely happening but don't know about opening date. Soon though
 Chriswo770 29 Nov 2010
You'll have to check their facebook account for up to date details. Last I heard it was going to be opening this weekend.
Fingers crossed, it's getting cold outside...
harry spotter 01 Dec 2010

Bit of a crap way to advertise a new wall don't you think. I've not seen any mention of it anywhere apart from overhearing something at Rochdale wall the other day. Anyone know who is opening it? Guessing it's a local climber
 woodsy 01 Dec 2010
It does seem strange that this has not been publicised more widely.
I live 5 miles from Bury & am quite geeky when it comes to climbing stuff & I have only found out through this thread & a couple of rumours...
Is it open yet?
DeeCee 01 Dec 2010

Hi

Just googled for it and according to Mountaineering Club of Bury website it's opening this weekend - 4/5 December.
harry spotter 01 Dec 2010
In reply to harry spotter: Thats why I wondered who was opening it because anyone with half a brain would have put something in a mag or a site like this.
climberDave 02 Dec 2010
They've been really busy down at the centre, I've popped in and had a sneak peak and the walls are like nothing else in manchester.
I spoke to the guy who designed them and he explained that the overhang was designed to be like a cave, which will test the best climbers around but still be fun with easier problems on it.
When I was down I saw a couple of different route setters at work which shows that a lot of thought has gone into the way it is set up, making it accessible to all abilities right up to championship standard, and incorporating different climbing styles.
They told me it will be opening on Saturday 4th December at 11am, and they'll have an open comp on Sunday.
 David55 05 Dec 2010
In reply to harry spotter: Bury Climbing Centre opened on 4.12.10, and I visited it this morning. It is bouldering only, and there is a fun competition on today (Sunday). It is mostly vertical with a couple of roof/overhang areas. £2 life membership, then 6.50 to climb. It is going to open 10 am weekends and not 9am as the website suggests. It is small, but lots to go at for the modest climber, I cant comment on harder stuff as I cant do it.

For someone who lives nearby it is a good addition to the facilities available. Alas they were playing christmas music today, at Rockover if you ask nicely they play Hendrix and Bob Marley.

Well worth giving it a try
 chalkyjim 05 Dec 2010
In reply to David55:

Before I start I will say that the owner is asking for feedback which I have given and any new business has its teething problems.
I found the wall to be quite poor in a few ways.
The route setting is really quite bad and doesn't inspire much interest.
The decor is like a nursery.
There is only one overhanging wall.
At £6.50 for entry it is not good value for money.
The finish to the wood is poor and in some cases could be dangerous where ply has split on corners and should be rounded over.
With the quality of bouldering walls within 20 minutes of this wall (Boulder UK, Rochdale, Broughton, Rock Over, MCC etc) I am sorry so say that if Bury CC is open in 6 months I will be very suprised.
 Lord_ash2000 05 Dec 2010
In reply to chalkyjim: Cool. Just seen the pic's on thier facebook page.

So I'm guessing it was a self build in the end or something ?
 chalkyjim 05 Dec 2010
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

The quality of the build is good. just unimaginative angles and not finished to the standard that other walls are.
 David55 05 Dec 2010
In reply to chalkyjim: All walls are at their worst when newly opened, and evolve and improve as they get used. Ceratinly that was the case with Rockover, Rochdale, and even Ratho and Kinlochleven, and no doubt this one will improve also. It is never going to be a place to travel miles to, but if you live locally I think it is worth a try.

PS I dont know the owner and have no connection with the place, but I believe in supporting local enterprises.
 chalkyjim 06 Dec 2010
In reply to David55: I hope it does well but i won't be going again. I can only be honest to anyone thinking of going and say that for £6.50 plus membership fee you will be disappointed.
In reply to David55:

That is true... but Ratho wasn't exactly a crap climbing wall when it opened either : P It has improved with the addition of an awesome new comp wall but they destroyed the old bouldering wall which in my opinion was better than the works' current comp standard wall!
 Roger Vickers 07 Dec 2010
In reply to David55: All walls should be at there best when first opening as everything is brand new. In order to improve they need to listen to there clientele and implement not all but some of the better suggestions made.
If Chalkyjim's comments are fact then things don't exactly bode well for the future of this wall, when there are already several good bouldering facilities within easy striking distance of this one.
johnfwotsisname 07 Dec 2010
In reply to chalkyjim:

I have just seen the photos on facebook. Is this a bouldering wall or a kiddies play area attached to a pub?
 chalkyjim 07 Dec 2010

Told you it was like a nursery
 Chi Cheng 07 Dec 2010

They want me to pay £8.50 to climb there?? Then £6.50 there after.

It's cheaper for me to drive to Manchester from Bury and climb at rock over.

It also looks quite small from the pictures on facebook.

Tangler 07 Dec 2010
In reply to Chi Cheng:

£6.70 to climb at rockover isn't it?
 chalkyjim 08 Dec 2010
In reply to Tangler: If it was £10 per session I'd pay the extra
GraemeBldr 13 Dec 2010
In reply to chalkyjim:
I wouldn't pay the extra!
Its coming up to Christmas and I'm trying to stay out of the red.

Bury is a lot bigger than it looks on the facebook pictures, you can't climb all the V-0 to V-2 grades in a day without feeling like you've had a huge work out!

I like the jazzy colours and they play AC/DC in there, what more can you ask for!

Plus if you ask nicely they will make you tea/coffee even when the cafe is shut. Now that's good service!
 maybe_si 14 Dec 2010
In reply to GraemeBldr:

shameless marketing!
 MHutch 14 Dec 2010
In reply to maybe_si:

There are some pics on here. Not sure it's quite high enough for me.

http://mountaineeringclubofbury.ning.com/forum/topics/bury-climbing-centre-...
zeekthefreak 14 Dec 2010
In reply to GraemeBldr: Never had a problem getting a brew at most walls.
Pete Royle 14 Dec 2010
In reply to harry spotter: Do you have to register as a member?
 maybe_si 14 Dec 2010
In reply to GraemeBldr:

Im sorry but i did climb all the v0-v2 problems and i didnt feel like i had a good work out!!
GraemeBldr 14 Dec 2010
In reply to maybe_si:
You must be a good climber then!

What grade do you climb at?
zeekthefreak 14 Dec 2010
In reply to Chi Cheng: Climb Rochdale doesn't have a registration fee at all and it is only £30.00 per month for unlimited climbing or £7.00 a go for adults, and it's getting bigger very soon as far as the rumours go.

Sounds better value to me for lots more climbing and routes too.
GraemeBldr 14 Dec 2010
In reply to zeekthefreak:
I've never been to Rochdale, wouldn't trust my car being parked there while I'm not in it!
 MHutch 14 Dec 2010
In reply to GraemeBldr:

I eagerly await some more newly-registered posters extolling the virtues of Rockover and West View.
 Ian Dunn 15 Dec 2010
In reply to GraemeBldr: For your information Climb Rochdale has it's own car parking. As Zeek said Climb Rochdale doesn't charge a registration fee and is cheaper for monthly memberships too. Thanks for the post.
GraemeBldr 15 Dec 2010
In reply to Ian Dunn:
Hi Ian, I wasn't aiming to cause offence, I'm just referring to the run down area in which your climbing wall is situated, which doesn't inspire confidence in safety...
 Depot Climbing 15 Dec 2010
In reply to GraemeBldr:
Maybe Your not trying to cause offense - but it looks to me like your trying to put people off going to Climb Rochdale. Having personally parked at Climb Rochdale on many occasions I have never experienced a problem with the parking and neither have friends. If you have links with another wall (just a wild stab in the dark!) then these comments are a poor reflection on you.

Steve
J1234 15 Dec 2010
In reply to GraemeBldr:
total piss take this, either pay for a premium post or bugger off, and I object to swearing.
 Jordan B 15 Dec 2010
In reply to GraemeBldr: This is what you had to say on ukB....
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,16531.msg291118/topicseen.htm...
"To be honest I've not been to many others, just Rochdale and the two in Manchester. So I can't really compare. But there were a load of people from Bury Mountaneering Club, and they seemed to be enjoying themselves."
 Ian Dunn 16 Dec 2010
In reply to GraemeBldr:
> (In reply to zeekthefreak)
> I've never been to Rochdale, wouldn't trust my car being parked there while I'm not in it!

You admit to having been to Rochdale later in the Thread, guess you are just trying to market Bury CC and put people off other walls in the area. We have never got into slagging off the other walls in the NW and have always had a good relationship with MCC, Awesome Walls (both) NW Face, Rope Race, West View, Boulder UK, Rock Over, The Depot, Leeds Wall, City Block etc etc
Perhaps you should concentrate on marketing your wall, admit that you have an interest in it and not spread rumours about other walls in the area.
 The New NickB 16 Dec 2010
In reply to GraemeBldr:
> (In reply to Ian Dunn)
> Hi Ian, I wasn't aiming to cause offence, I'm just referring to the run down area in which your climbing wall is situated, which doesn't inspire confidence in safety...

I have parked my car around the corner from Climb in Rochdale for 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week for the last 8 years. Never had a problem.
 craig h 16 Dec 2010
In reply to GraemeBldr:

> Bury is a lot bigger than it looks on the facebook pictures,>

It also looks a lot bigger on the images attached at the top of the Bury Climbing Center web index page

http://www.buryclimbingcentre.co.uk/trainingandqualifications.html
http://www.buryclimbingcentre.co.uk/bookonline.html

I presume these are not of the Bury Climbing Centre, unless Bury Mountaineering Club have attached the wrong images to their review? http://mountaineeringclubofbury.ning.com/forum/topics/bury-climbing-centre-...

I have never had an issue with parking my car at the Rochdale Wall either, and don't think the area is any more run down than the locations of many of the climbing walls in the UK.
Lady Jane Grey 16 Dec 2010
In reply to harry spotter: I'm looking forward to climbing there this weekend.
In reply to GraemeBldr:

Come on you Graeme, isn't time you 'Bury' the hatchet!!!

No one touched my car at http://www.climbukltd.com/

Dave D
http://www.awesomewalls.co.uk/
In reply to D Douglas: Stockport/Liverpool: That's an Awesome pun Dave
 john arran 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Your pun Works well too, Graeme.
 chrisboywonder 16 Dec 2010
In reply to craig h: I find it totally misleading that none of the images on the website are of the actual wall itself
In reply to boywonder:

Are you sure there not 'Buried' in there somewhere?

Dave D
 Ian Dunn 16 Dec 2010
In reply to D Douglas: Stockport/Liverpool: That's awesome work graeme and dave thanks for your supporting posts!
zeekthefreak 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Ian Dunn: That's very badly Dunn, you chubby, old man.
 Ian Dunn 16 Dec 2010
In reply to zeekthefreak: Chubby!!! the cheek of it go back to water cum jolly where you belong.
 craig h 16 Dec 2010
In reply to boywonder:
> I find it totally misleading that none of the images on the website are of the actual wall itself

A bit like seeing images of Yosemite only to turn up and find Doctors Dam instead?

It may be a good wall, and if I was the owner I'd be keen to have quallity images of the wall on my website. So well Dunn Ian; I find it Awsome that you and Dave have actual images of your climbing walls on your web sites as they are all Manchester climbing centres , I think it Works better when you can actually see where you are going
 chrisboywonder 16 Dec 2010
In reply to craig h: The pictures are just so misleading. In one of them the guy climbing is even climbing past quickdraws???

Either way though, I have actually been and thought it was reasonable as a local training venue. It needs loads more footholds and more problems of a longer length to compensate for the lack of height.
chris wheeldon 22 Dec 2010
In reply to harry spotter: holy shit, this wall looks awful. Why that building? Talk about wrong location! Just for the sheer cheek of Graeme's pathetic attempt at online marketing im going to go to Rochdale wall over the hols even though im injured, but it will be nice to give sqwark my £6.50 in return for a coffee and a chin wag. im all for local business development and community support of said ventures but this seems doomed to fail im afraid......unless soem of the criticisms shown are noted.
climberDave 12 Jan 2011
In reply to chris wheeldon:
Heard a rumour Bury Climbing Centre is putting up roped routes!
climberDave 12 Jan 2011
In reply to chalkyjim:
heard a rumour you got turned down for a job there, maybe a slight case of sour grapes!!!
 chalkyjim 12 Jan 2011
In reply to climberDave:

I got offered some work tutoring groups there. I turned it down politely.
J1234 12 Jan 2011
In reply to climberDave:
I keep hearing rumours people from Bury Climbing Wall keep posting on UKC pretending to be nowt to do with the wall to get free publicity, funny these rumours.
zeekthefreak 13 Jan 2011
In reply to sjc: How come Bury Wall is in both bouldering and walls and training forums and isn't paying for any advertising? Don't they know what Premire Posts are for. Come on UKC make them get their cheque books out!

If Bury are buying some rope they should use it to hang the wall designer, look at Broughton built donkeys years ago and so much better than Bury. Did they not look at walls like The Depot, Rock Over or The Works if they wanted to see some good plywood shapes.

I won't be back till it's rebuilt, a 10 foot top rope is hardly a draw.

I tend to agree that this is a pretty disappointing wall - very small with a limited number of short problems which are generally unimaginative. The absence of foot-holds - "we ran out, we're getting some more in soon" I was told - makes a lot of the problems very snatchy and, in my opinion, likely to generate injuries. Sorry, but if you don't even have the holds you need to make a decent wall then don't open to the public until you have.

Idiotically hard grading as well which impresses no one apart perhaps from the 'hero' who set the problems but found them just sooo easy!

My biggest gripe of all however, is the admission price which is set at the same level as much larger and better walls which would have cost their owners far more to establish.

If the problems were improved and new holds added Bury wall might be ok as an occasional training venue for climbers living nearby but even then I certainly won't be going back until they reduce the admission price to something closer to £4.
 Bulls Crack 13 Jan 2011

Maybe it's me but I find many 'modern' bouldering walls very dull. I know plywood is cheap and flexible but very samey unless very well designed. It's good to have some featured areas at a wall eg Gloucester and it great boulders, the old Rochdale wall (too much featured wall perhaps) even if just to break the monotony
ChalkyJack 17 Jan 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:
Good thing about ply is that volumes can be added and moved about to totally change a wall. I think featured walls, unless done right like some of the roped routes at MCC, get boring fast, esp bouldering ones!
zeekthefreak 18 Jan 2011
In reply to ChalkyJack: Are you another employee of Bury and trying to avoid premier posts!! Posting on two forums.
Broughton old skool with features or Bury?! now that's a difficult choice, In fact Glossop is 100x better than flat plywood with no shapes or footholds!
ChalkyJack 18 Jan 2011
I think you need to stay off the coffee mate!
I'll stick to water, its free and it has no paranoid side effects
zeekthefreak 19 Jan 2011
In reply to ChalkyJack: I am not paranoid and as far as I am aware there is no link between coffee and paranoia.
I do know there is a link between you and other freeriders posting for Bury CW. and that's why you should own up about your relationship with the facility or pay for a Premier Post and accept the post is commercial.
I am quiet suprised UKC haven't pulled your posts off the forum, perhaps they think they are entertaining!!
ChalkyJack 19 Jan 2011
I think you've just proved there is a link between coffee and paranoia.
I'm just a fan of Bury Climbing Centre, and chose not to listen to the freaks out there as all they seem to harp on about is hate-filled but nevertheless entertaining drivel
NigelBlandford 04 Feb 2011
In reply to harry spotter: It's not so bad there. I live local and it is a nice facility to have on your doorstep. With a £10pw all your can eat climbing rate it's good value. They are doing a free session there for non members 12-to 4 this weekend I believe. Call them for details.
 maybe_si 04 Feb 2011
In reply to NigelBlandford:

Come on guys, at least invent some profiles and make your lame posting a bit more believable!!
 chalkyjim 05 Feb 2011
In reply to maybe_si:

Agreed. It's as embarrassing as the wall.

If you are interested in renting this building out let me know because I might be interested.
 Derek Kenyon 05 Feb 2011
In reply to harry spotter: : As it's looking like a crap weekend and most climbers will be heading indoors. For those who have not been down to the Bury wall take a look and make your own minds up. Its fee this Sunday 12 till 4 so you can go in and if it doesn't suit you there’s nothing lost, at least you'll have made your own mind up. The lads I climb with like it, I suppose it helps that we are not hard core climbers needing all desperate over hanging stuff. Roll on better weather
In reply to maybe_si: try a harder grade, the grades given are only somebodies opinion, seems a lot of people are bitching on here about this place when they could be offering support to the venue in order to improve it, granted it does seem expensive for a small wall but im sure this could be negotiated on, i know bury club are going down sunday i think and offering a free tester, people surely cant grumble at that but they will im sure, i am not having a go at you si but it is all to easy to list negatives about a place rather than provide positive suggestions on improvement which is obviously what the venue needs.the people of bury need to get behind this place and push it forward to make it meet thier needs.
 Kaiser999 05 Feb 2011
In reply to Derek Kenyon: Agreed. There might be better and more established walls out there but I dont think it deserves some of the criticism on here. The vast majority of climbers can get a decent workout here. I'll definately go back again.
In reply to harry spotter: this thread appears to have turned very sour, firstly i am a new registered poster and that is my real name,i have no connection with bury cc whatsoever.
there seems to be a lot of bad mouthing about bury cc on here i suspect from mostly armchair climbers who would be better served in politics than the climbing community.
i started climbing because of the positives it promoted in myself and others around me, and to see beautifull places, meet decent positive people.
the people i climb with do not behave in this manner other than in jest.
come on people if you cant help the situation why bother bitching about it.
hippies234 05 Feb 2011

Having been down to the Bury Climbing Centre a couple of times, I will concede that it does have a way to go before rivalling Rockover and MCC, and even sadly the soon to be lost Broughton, but I can guarantee that it's locality and the friendly nature of the place is sufficient to make it a worthwhile enterprise, and you will get a good workout. I recommend the Blue v3/4 problem at the minute on the overhanging wall, it is definitely a beast!

Might as well go and have a play! Particularly with all the wet weather!
 kevin stephens 05 Feb 2011
In reply to all:

This is a very sad thread which doesn't say amything good about the climbing community

SO some folks take some risks to set up a local climbing wall, which maybe falls short of the best around - So What, folks have a wall they can go to on a wet day if they want to pay the entry price. It's hardly some dodgy pyrimid selling outfit that is taking your money.

Climbers today will spend more on beer to whinge over than going to a wall to climb.

I haven't been to Bury wall, my local is Broughton which very sadly wil close later this year due to council funding costs
 maybe_si 05 Feb 2011

try a harder grade?? eh??

Im just a bit negative for a few reasons, firstly i think its utterly ridiculous that the managment/owners/staff/whoever continuously post on here claiming to be nothing to do with the wall, this is shameful, pay some money to UKC, dont just abuse the system!

Secondly when I went to the centre I had a pretty poor experience which was not helped by the staff, setting, wall design, price or anything else, I tried to leave some genuinely useful feedback whilst I was at the centre and then also online, I'm not a beginner and I do know what im talking about! This feedback was not even listened to whilst I was there and, online, it has just been met with arguments and excuses.

I was truely disappointed with this wall but much more so by the way that the management have not listened to a word that I have said.

Im sorry and I truely do wish you all the best, if you listen to your customers comments, both good and bad then this will benefit your wall, feel free to contact me for some positive constructive criticism.

simon
In reply to kevin stephens: well said kevin
ChalkyJack 16 Feb 2011
In reply to andrew heginbotham:
I believe the management has changed hands recently, maybe this will make it better. We'll see eh?
 chalkyjim 16 Feb 2011

Who has took it on?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...