UKC

Welsh Winter Pitons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 augustus trout 30 Nov 2010
Ok now don't all get your pitch forks and torches just yet! But I was told while in scotland to have three pitons on your rack for those "oh christ im in the s*** now moments" I was told that in the west of scotland go for lepers and a kingpin and in the East thin knife blades. Now what would people suggest for this get out of jail free kit in Snowdon where im aiming to do the majority of my stuff this winter?
(Personally I'm not even sure that pegs really lend them selves to Rhyolite)
 Nigel Thomson 30 Nov 2010
In reply to augustus trout: They'll lend themselves tae ryolite just fine when yer 15m adove yer last shitey wire and you're jist about to soil yersel'
 Timmd 30 Nov 2010
In reply to augustus trout:

I guess you could take a selection to start with?

Cheers
Tim

In reply to Timmd: Well its just that I'm hoping not to have to go through that process of buying a large selection at a 10er each and humping them around to find that only the pointy ones work, or something like that. I dont have any on my rack currently, so I figured advice on types and sizes might be a good idea.
In reply to the weegy: I thought that placement was the preserve of a cam, and the judicious application of spit in the hope the f***er will stick.
 Timmd 30 Nov 2010
> (In reply to Timmd) Well its just that I'm hoping not to have to go through that process of buying a large selection at a 10er each and humping them around to find that only the pointy ones work, or something like that. I dont have any on my rack currently, so I figured advice on types and sizes might be a good idea.

Fair do's, i'd be thinking the same thing.

Timmd 30 Nov 2010

Have you tried emailing V12 Outdoors in Wales, and asking them what they think, or Joe Browns, they might be able to give you local knowledge about what might work best?

Cheers
Tim
 Reach>Talent 30 Nov 2010
I've not done much winter stuff in Wales, but I'd have thought a couple of blades would be about right. Anything much bigger and you'll probably be able to wangle in a nut. Give V12 a ring if you want some local advice, they are normally brilliant.
 GirlieEyes 30 Nov 2010
In reply to augustus trout: As already said, i find knifeblades quite useful. I carry 3 blades and 1 kingpin. Hope this helps
 Andy Say 30 Nov 2010
The west coast kit would be better; you're rarely looking at hairline cracks in Wales. But I'd ask to buy 'leepers' rather than 'lepers' as there could be some confusion....

And I'm glad you're prepared for pitchforks and torches; I'd keep the pegs in your sac'!
 Reach>Talent 30 Nov 2010
In reply to Andy Say:
But I'd ask to buy 'leepers' rather than 'lepers' as there could be some confusion....

Lepers make a handy mobile crash mat, the main advantage being that no-one will nick a leper
 Timmd 30 Nov 2010
In reply to Reach>Talent:

The 'squidge' of a body part seperating is good at absorbing impacts as well.

Eurgh... ()
 Timmd 30 Nov 2010
In reply to Timmd:

No offence to any climbing lepers reading this.

As a stammerer, you're welcome to make fun of people who stammer in response.

()

jim jones 30 Nov 2010
A few lost arrows certainly come in very handy on the Black Ladders, don't ever recall placing one on a route on Snowdon though.
 Rob Winston 30 Nov 2010
In reply to augustus trout: Try thumping in a Warthog, you can tie em off short too. Just a thought.
 Bruce Hooker 30 Nov 2010

I'd suggest a thinnish (1 to 2mm at thickest) standard length blade, a small angle or leeper and a 5/8 to 3/4 inch angle, again standard length. Don't forget a hammer head on one of your axes though unless you are a karate expert.... and even then.
 Neil Anderson 30 Nov 2010
In reply to Warthog123456789: agree warthogs a good bet, if you can still get them ?
 mlmatt 01 Dec 2010

for what it's worth I carry 2 knifeblades, a small lost arrow and a smallish angle. These have served my ok for the few winter routes I've done in wales but peg are still only a last resort. Those pegs cover a good range with not too much weight.

I hope this help.

Btw, I've carried a warthog but never really placed it so I'll probably leave it behind unless I know I'm going to black ladders or another such turfy location.
 Timmd 01 Dec 2010

I'm a little bit embarressed about my leper joke, please ignore.

Tim
In reply to Timmd: What ...urhurm... leeper joke?
In reply to augustus trout: Thanks for all the help, and nice not to get a going over by an overzealous implementation of ethics policing. I would only use a piton if nothing else was available, in reality anything other than a piton is going to be better given my experience in placing aid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...