UKC

NEWS: Conditions this weekend in the Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 04 Dec 2010
Covey of grouse at Gun Butress (Tuesday), 2 kbRachel Hoyland has ventured out over the last few days and sent us some photos from her trip across to Stanage and Bamford Edges.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=59251
 peter beal 04 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:

The Peak is very beautiful in this kind of weather. I remember a similar walk along Froggatt and Curbar, with 6 foot cornices at the top of the cliffs.
 Dave Ferguson 04 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:
those embankment routes look in really good winter nick, bit like engineers slabs actually.
 Silum 05 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:

good friction then eh?
 Yanis Nayu 05 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News: I think the grouse picture is superb.
 ChrisJD 05 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Currently -3C in Hope Valley, clear blue skies, bit of thin mist here and there.

Black ice a big problem this morning after yesterdays bit-of-a-thaw and rain (yes we had rain in the afternoon and early evening!).
 trish1968 05 Dec 2010
In reply to ChrisJD: I waded over to Kinder downfall yesterday. It was waist deep in places. The rain was snow on the tops. Downfall is very sparse not a lot of ice to go at.
In reply to UKC News: crampons and axes sharpened. what mixed grade do you think London wall is?
alanel 05 Dec 2010
In reply to ChrisJD: Mam Tor is in condition (although best at night now the sun has come back). It was powdery at the bottom but the turf and shale were well frozen and very secure on Friday. The thaw/freeze has probably helped to consolidate it a lot since then.
Aren't winter tyres great!
 ChrisJD 05 Dec 2010
In reply to alanel:

Hey Al - good to hear you've been out on Mam Tor. Some friends floundered up to the Downfall on Friday to find not a lot!

Glorious today - though snow tyres not much cop on the black ice this morning though!
Rachel H 05 Dec 2010
In reply to wayno265: Thank you very much, they weren't easy to capture despite their visibility!
Rachel H 05 Dec 2010
In reply to trish1968: I was also on Kinder yesterday, after swimming up Blackden Brook. Found some small icy butresses and a bit of winter scrambling. Had a super day but not sure the limited climbing is worth the long wade in.
AndyTamworth 05 Dec 2010
Amazing conditions for walking on Kinder today, including over the plateau to the downfall from Grinds Brook. Sunshine all day, with amazing views west above the clouds. Lots of snow and ice, but not too much to hinder walking. Crampons ideal.

Very little ice on the downfall. More ice on the faulty downpipe on the side of the Nag's Head!

All access roads clear to Edale including the 'Nick' past Mam Tor.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...