UKC

Helmets for skiing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IainMunro 06 Dec 2010
I was a bit shocked by the price of ski helmets when I looked into getting one this weekend. Given that lightweight climbing lids are supposed to protect you from side on impacts as well as (moderate) impacts from above is it a completely stupid idea to ski in something like a Petzl Meteor or BD Tracer? I'd rather save money by getting a new helmet that is not only £30-40 cheaper than a dedicated ski helmet but that I can also use climbing.

I'm fairly new to skiing so apologies if this is a numpty question...

Iain
 James Edwards 06 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro:
Lidl has had good cheap ones in the past and no doubt will again in the next couple of months, check their website. Currently tk max in Inverness, and probably other branches also, has a couple of good cheap ski helmets. A dedicated ski helmet is better fitting and warmer than a climbing one i find.

james e`
OP IainMunro 06 Dec 2010
In reply to James Edwards:

Sports Direct in Inverness had a No Fear ski helmet for £20 but it didn't seem to fit, I'll keep an eye out for the Lidl ones. Apart from the warmth (which is the only advantage I can see from the ear pieces) are there any other advantages?

Cheers,

Iain
 kevin stephens 06 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro:
climbing helmets are as different to ski helmets as rock shoes are to ski boots. A climbing helmet is designed to protect you from falling rocks where as a ski helmet is for crashing into trees and being crashed into by out of control snow boarders. get a proper ski helmet and a seperate climbing helmet. Ski helmets are also good for keeping your head warm
OP IainMunro 06 Dec 2010
In reply to kevin stephens:

> A climbing helmet is designed to protect you from falling rocks where as a ski helmet is for crashing into trees and being crashed into by out of control snow boarders.

This is why I asked as I have read that helmets like the Tracer and Meteor protect your head from side impacts. Snow boarders are my main worry!

Iain

kevin stephens 06 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro:

I have a Meteor for climbing, I wouldn't feel safe at all (or warm) using it for skiing. Unfortunately skiing is not cheap but well worth it
 James Edwards 06 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro:
They 'feel' better when skiing. I must admit that i have taken the ear warmers off mine as i don't like the deadening of the sound. You won't realise how much information than you gleam from the sound of your ski on the snow until you have it taken away!
I thought the tkmax ones were quite good.
james e
 deepstar 06 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro: There was a recent thread about multi-purpose helmets and seeing as I climb,kayak and ski this would be great for me.If you were going on an expedition that took in more than one sport wouldnt it be handy if you only had to take one helmet,surely this would be possible for modern equipment designers.
 popebenedictus 06 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro:

Grivel Gecko or Salewa Krypton are certified for both skiing and climbing but tbh they're expensive.

A cheap skiing specific helmet from TKmaxx/Sports direct/Decathlon or go outdoors would probably be cheaper even if you buy a climbing helmet too
OP IainMunro 06 Dec 2010
In reply to popebenedictus:

> A cheap skiing specific helmet from TKmaxx/Sports direct/Decathlon or go outdoors would probably be cheaper even if you buy a climbing helmet too

Cheers, I'll have a look in TKmax. A bit reluctant to buy online as I know how long it took me to find a comfy climbing helmet. I'm not in need of a new climbing helmet, just being a stingy Aberdonian student who would rather not dig too deep into his pockets. Sounds like I might just have to fork out for a decent helmet that's comfy

Iain
bh11 07 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro:

Also note that ski helmets are generally rounded in low towards the back of the neck, whereas climbing helmets often have a higher lip.

Imagine that lip catching on the snow as you slide fast feet-first downhill, and think about what it might do to your neck!

Bri.
 Henry Iddon 07 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro:

If your new to skiing shouldn't snowboarders be scared of you
In reply to bh11:

Straps on climing helmets are designed to fail in that circumstance, one reason why you shouldn't use a cycling helmet for climbing.

Climbing helmet better than no helmet but for protection against other piste users I'd go with a proper skiing one that protects the base of your skull and is a lot warmer.
In reply to IainMunro: I bought one from Cotswold at the weekend for £32. That's £40 without their discount. Bargain at £40.
Tim Chappell 07 Dec 2010
I'm sceptical about all these supposed differences between different types of helmets. Seems like a manufacturers' racket to me. And I haven't heard good arguments for spending all that extra cash on three helmets when one will do all three jobs. Just to take one of the scenarios above, about how the back of your climbing helmet might catch as you slide down a ski slope: errm, you might slide down a snow slope in a climbing accident too. Then what? Should you switch helmets as you slide?

IMO the number one thing about a helmet, after being basically safe, is that it should be tight and comfortable-- if it's not tight it will fall off in impacts, and if it's not comfortable you'll end up taking it off because it's a nuisance.

BallsOfSteel 07 Dec 2010
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Whats wrong with a cooking pot held on with duck-tape?? does the job! and...might I say...stylish!

BOS
 Matt Schwarz 07 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro: lidl ski stuff was about 2 weeks ago, go outdoors ones are pretty cheap too.
In reply to Tim Chappell: I agree totally.

This question comes up on here with cycling/climbnig the whole time.

No, a climbing helmet isn't the best helmet for protecting you while skiing or cycling.

Yes, wearing something is better than nothing.

Yes, a climbing helmet will protect you in a lot of situations while skiing or cycling.

Just cos something isn't 100% designed for an activity, it doesn't mean it offers zero protection.

I've no idea why people insist that there is no benefit from wearing any helmet.

Tim Chappell 07 Dec 2010
In reply to BallsOfSteel:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> Whats wrong with a cooking pot held on with duck-tape?? does the job! and...might I say...stylish!
>

So, you've seen me skiing then
James Thacker_I can't log i 07 Dec 2010
In reply to featuresforfeet: sorry but that's not true. Climbing helmets are designed to stay on you head. The buckles on industrial helmets are designed to fail at lower loads.

Henry Iddon 07 Dec 2010
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Probably because certain styles of helmets may increase the odds of certain types of injuries that wouldn't occur if wearing a more suitable one. I suppose its the balance of probability and all that.

Of course there are those who aren't fans of ski helmets at all - I suppose it depends what you're doing.
In reply to James Thacker_I can't log i:

Why does it say inside cycle helmets that they shouldn't be used for anything where the weared could be suspended by it then (and not inside climbing helmets)?
In reply to Henry Iddon: Sure, but they decrease the chances of a lot of others! On balance of probability it seems that there would be more injuries any helmet would protect you from than ones it would make more likely. And injuries aren't black or white, wearing any helmet will reduce the extent of some injuries. A climbing helmet may leave you with concussion from a skiing accident but I'd rather that than end up after wearing no helmet with a more serious head injury. I'd much rather wear a cycling helmet on a crag with loose rock than no helmet.

It's, to pardon the pun, a no brainer!
 Chris F 07 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro: Where have you been looking?

I Got an RED Trace from Boarderline for £40 a year or so back, it's basic, warm and comfortable. And cost about the same as my goggles.
 Henry Iddon 07 Dec 2010

Indeed.

Personally if you're considering wearing a helmet then surely you're head is worth spending the money on one designed for the job in hand.
OP IainMunro 07 Dec 2010
In reply to Chris F:

> Where have you been looking?

The outdoor shops in Aviemore and Inverness were where I first looked and prices seemed to start at about £70ish. Like I said above I have found a cheaper one in SportsDirect but it didn't fit. A friend told me today that TKmax in Aberdeen has some in so I'll pop down there tomorrow lunchtime and have a look.

Iain
 london_huddy 07 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro:

Decathlon have some bargain if there's one near you
 Richard Horn 07 Dec 2010

As far as I can tell, generally when I am skiing I wear a hat to keep my head warm when it has cold air going past it at 30mph, and ski helmets have lots of warming foam inside them to do the same job. I dont use a ski helmet but I am told they are nice and snug.

When I trad climb, I wear a helmet and it doesnt have any foam/insulation yet more times than not my head is still dripping with sweat after a long trad pitch. I also have a cycle helmet and it is bulkier than my trad climbing helmet which I already manage to knock all the time, so I dont think my cycle helmet would be very good for climbing.

So climbing, cycling and skiing are all different and have different requirements of a helmet. So the optimum helmet for each would be different, that said wearing an un-optimal helmet would probably be better than nothing against some incidents, so you could wear the same helmet for all three it just wouldnt be as comfortable or provide the same level of safety.

For what its worth, I wear a lid trad climbing (falling rocks/unpredictable lobs) and cycling (scared of getting hit by a car), but dont for sport climbing/bouldering (smaller more predictable lobs) or skiing (started 24 years ago before they were invented, and dont fall all that much).
 Chris F 10 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro:
> A friend told me today that TKmax in Aberdeen has some in so I'll pop down there tomorrow lunchtime and have a look.

Try both TK Maxxes. However, my experience has been they have very big and very small. As I said, have a look in boarderline.
 Chris F 10 Dec 2010
In reply to hindu: Closest is Glasgow
timO 11 Dec 2010
In reply to Richard Horn: ....I now figure that if I am going to wear a hat to keep warm I may as well wear one which is a helmet - so I wear a rather jolly Giro Shiv (ie cooool as my seven yr old would say) - was £35 from one of the snow sport shops during the summer...
 frecro 11 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro:

Nevisport have own brand (Trespass) helmets for around £35
 woolsack 11 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro:
> Sounds like I might just have to fork out for a decent helmet that's comfy
>

I spent ages trying on different lids in different shops and unfortunately the most expensive one fitted best That said Ive had four or five seasons out of it so I have had my moneys worth and a (cheaper) ill fitting one would have been left at home long go

TobyA 11 Dec 2010
In reply to woolsack: I had similar problems finding one to fit but got lucky and found the cheapest Decathlon one wag the best fit!
 t_stork 11 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro: You tight-fisted git!
timO 11 Dec 2010
In reply to t_stork: ...I'm not sure you're going to beat this = really fine GIRO helmet and still on offer at 37gbp

http://www.onebelowzero.com/giro-2009-shiv-helmet

tim
OP IainMunro 11 Dec 2010
In reply to all:

Thanks for all the replies, I actually lost track of the post last week and forgot all about it until this evening. I got hold of a Sinner helmet from TKMax for £30 but unfortunately after fiddling around with the various means of adjustments it still doesn't fit me so it will be getting returned. Will keep on searching.

Interestingly I've done a bit of reading on ski injury statistics in Scotland and it would appear that head injuries are thankfully quite a rare occurrence and it would seem that broken bones and sprains etc are what we should be more worried about.

Mike Langran is one of the GPs in Aviemore and amoungst various other interests he has done a lot of research on the subject. This is his website, quite a lot of interesting content

http://www.ski-injury.com/

Iain
 Neil Anderson 11 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro: your can rent a ski helmet in alpine resorts, pretty cheaperly- good way to try different makes etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...