UKC

Gregory Z55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Reeser 12 Dec 2010
Hi Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of the Gregory Z55 rucksack. Or any others to consider?
Thanks in advance
 jolyon.cohen 12 Dec 2010
In reply to Reeser:

Got one prior to walking 300-odd miles through Maine, and have used it a bit for other backpacking since then and occasionally as a cragging sack too.

It's very, very good. Very adjustable, and carries a (smallish) load well. Make sure you get the right size, and don't load it with more than about 20kg max - it's designed as a lightweight pack, so if you're planning on taking the kitchen sink to set up basecamp, I'd look for something with a bit more support.

There's lots of nifty extras on it - floating lid with loads of room in it, some waistband pockets, rope-lash, etc. Very well designed too - in spite of having a curved back, it packs well, and 55l is more than enough for any hiking you'd want to do (I carried 10 days worth of kit and food in it).

Also worth a mention is the Gregory customer service - my cousin had the same backpack, and ripped the zip on the lid of his. Gregory sent another lid out straight away (to a random hostel on the trail) without waiting to receive the damaged one back. Quality-wise, mine's not showing any real signs of wear or damage.

So, overall, depends on what you're using it for - it's designed as a lightweight hiking pack - so if you want an alpine sack, or something just for cragging, I'd consider something else. But for its intended purpose, I thoroughly recommend it.
Reeser 13 Dec 2010
In reply to jolyon.cohen: Thanks for your info, it has given me something to think about.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...