UKC

womens winter boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goosebump 14 Dec 2010
I have tried google and searching here, but am struggling to find reviews for womens winter boots (feel a bit unqualified to choose whats best as Im after my first pair). I have been looking at B2s as I plan on doing easy winter routes plus big snow stomps. Trawled Llanberis and Betws y Coed and tried on:

Mammut Women's Monolith GTX
Scarpa Charmoz
La sportiva alpiniste
Scarpa Manta

The mammuts fitted best, but with a small toe box (ace for scrambling I imagine) so I worry my toes might get chilly, Charmoz seemed unconvincingly light plus a bit wide, and too much heel lift in the mantas. The alpiniste were just a bit wrong but with lacing faffery and a half size smaller may have worked...

If anyone has experience of using these boots (or can recommend others) it would be great to hear.
Thanks!

di gilbert 14 Dec 2010
In reply to goosebump: can only comment on the scarpas. charmoz are great for scrambling/alpine but would not recommend for scottish winter. whereas, manta are fabby sorry, can't comment on the mammuts or the sportiva's since i haven't worn they should fit like a glove when you put them on hope this helps, di
 mrchewy 14 Dec 2010
In reply to goosebump: Firstly, I'm a bloke. I do however have narrow feet and a small heel due to once having acromegaly. I bought myself a pair of B3 boots last week and tried nearly all the brands on and as you noticed, the Scarpas are a bigger fitment than the Sportivas, certainly in the heel cup. I ended up with Asolo Lhotse GVs, as they just fitted narrower feet better. They laced up well and pulled my heel nicely into the heel cup. I know they do women's fitments, so it may be worth your while trying to find some. The Sportiva Nepal Evos were almost there, just a little too big in the heel and the lacing system stopped me from pulling my heel back into the boot. From your comments about the alpiniste I reckon you amy have a womans version of my own feet...

Cotswolds definitely do the Asolo Alpinist B2, if the store you're near doesn't stock them in your size, they just get them in for you from elsewhere.

http://www.asolo.com/eng/prod_list.php?area=1&catid=3
 Graham T 14 Dec 2010
In reply to goosebump:
Got my girlfriend a pair of the old mantas and she loves them, to be honest if I hadn't got a cheap pair of salomon b3's on here I would be looking at mantas myself
OP goosebump 15 Dec 2010
In reply to Graham T:
Thanks all for the replies. I know everyone raves about mantas and they look like they would last ages, but they dont fit. They feel good tho - super comfy around the ankle which gives the impression of a good fit, but actually a bit loose all around the foot. Probably the shoe of choice for 90% of folks with more "normal" width/volume feet.
Anyone heard of Berghaus Kibos? Not seen them anywhere, but have heard some good stuff about them?
loftustowncrier 15 Dec 2010
In reply to goosebump:

Hi, I have the Scarpa Mantas (got them in the sale when I was first starting out). I don't like the fit around the heel - there's too much lift and at the end of the day I end up with really sore heels and blisters. I would much rather wear my La Sportivas but they only take a strap on crampon.

My advice would be to NOT buy a pair where there is any heel lift at all (wear the socks you would usually wear when you're out of course).

I am considering getting a pair of plastic moulded boots for winter stuff - just to get the best fit.
 BruceM 15 Dec 2010
In reply to goosebump:
I have the male Monoliths, because of the extra room in the heel compared to some others. My Nepal Extremes and other sportivas are too tight/painful now, due to calcaneal/bursa growth at the back of the heel over the last few years.

As you know, with all boots the fit is EVERYTHING, and you can jiggle everything else to work. I've been out and about here is Scotland the last month with the Monoliths and they don't seem cold. I mean it isn't THAT cold here in winters, and you are generally only out on day trips anyway.

So if they fit well, and your toes aren't really hammered in there, I'm sure you will be happy with them.

A question for you:

My girl is currently sampling some Monoliths for herself, but up here we can only get the male version size UK 7. At that size she finds them a bit roomy up in the forefoot, not snug like a Trango, or like you're suggesting. Did you get the chance to try a male vs female Monolith, and can you report any reduction in forefoot volume by going to the female version? If so, it might be worth us trying to mail order some female versions.

Cheers
Bruce
 mrchewy 15 Dec 2010
In reply to goosebump: My mate Rob has a pair but they are probably the biggest volume boots for a certain boot size I've come across - I really don't think they'd be any use to you. TheOutdoorShop in Stony Stratford do Kibos, plus also Asolos, Scarpa and La Sportiva.
OP goosebump 15 Dec 2010
In reply to BruceM:
Hi Bruce,
Yes I tried both male and female versions on, my impression is that the mens ones are broader across the foot. Just a bit wider all round to be honest. My over-riding impression of the monoliths is that they would be great for climbing given the "feel" through the big toe. Didnt get that in the blokes ones. The womens ones also come in VERY COOL orange colour, which is obviously vital in the decision making process
 BruceM 16 Dec 2010
In reply to goosebump:
Thanks goosebump. That's excellent and valuable info for us. And yes, my black/grey male ones are a bit boring. You girls are so lucky.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...