UKC

NEWS: Rich Simpson - UKC's Position

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Dec 2010
Rich Simpson on a photoshoot in Sheffield, 2 kbDoubt has been cast on Rich Simpson's sporting achievements in climbing, running and boxing.

Two months ago, after Rich Simpson had published a blog about some of his recent alpine successes, UKC contacted Rich directly to request some more information...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=59419

Jonny2vests 16 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Sounds fair.
What about the boxing claims, they sounded pretty unlikely too?

Also, is he defiantly studying at Cambridge - people were casting doubt on that claim too.

Has anyone, of note, in the climbing world come forward to support Rich?
 Maestro 16 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News: Ooooh, that's a rather juicy little article!!

I really hope he has done all of what he says for the sake of the sport of climbing!
 tony 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> Also, is he defiantly studying at Cambridge - people were casting doubt on that claim too.

Excellent typo - I suspect he does most things defiantly. And yes, it has been confirmed that he's studying at Cambridge.
 alasdair19 16 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News: Good article, horrible/awkward subject. Brave and the right thing for WC and scarpa to comment as well.
 ksjs 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Maestro: it just seems sooooo unlikely - no smoke and all that.

i didnt read the huge UKC read but did read the UKB one so im unsure if this was covered: how come Rich deems it acceptable to haul other climbers over the coals, very publicly, yet maintains different standards for himself?

you just cant have it both ways and now Rich will be facing some cold looks when / if out at crags in future. karma?
 Monk 16 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:

A fair response, I think. Perhaps this thread should be locked before all the speculation is rehashed yet again?
 3leggeddog 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Monk:

A dark part of me really hopes that all of Rich's achievements were made up.

Top work Mr Simpson, chapeau!
 Maestro 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Monk: I agree. I dont think this news item should be connected to the forum.
 Dave Foster 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Maestro:
> (In reply to Monk) I agree. I dont think this news item should be connected to the forum.

Stop writing on the bloody forum then.
Rat know-all 16 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:
I only glanced at the title and thought he had been given a position at UKC, maybe UKC Emperor!
banned profile 74 16 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News: I think this news item is pointlessly late considering the forum thread has been on the go for a month or so and has no pretty much been done to death.
 The New NickB 16 Dec 2010
In reply to beastofackworth:
> (In reply to UKC News) I think this news item is pointlessly late considering the forum thread has been on the go for a month or so and has no pretty much been done to death.

Not really since the purpose of the news item is to clearly state the position of UKC as a news gathering and commercial organisation, on the matter.
 Tobias at Home 16 Dec 2010
In reply to 3leggeddog:
> (In reply to Monk)
>
> A dark part of me really hopes that all of Rich's achievements were made up.
>
Of course, it would also be nice if he turns out to be one of the greatest all-round athletes of all time and doesn't give a fcuk about proving it
Tam Stone 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Tobias at Home: Of course the difference being if you don't mind telling everyone your the best, it's fair to actually prove it too.
Yonah 16 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Well done UKC News. I think you have handled this perfectly: no judgement made on RS; the door wide open for him any time he wishes to step forward with evidence and the old articles ready to be restored if he does. This action maintains respect both for the individual concerned and for the public record of climbing achievements.

A defining moment in the history of the website: perhaps you, or we, have come of age.

Best wishes to Richard Simpson for the future.

Mark Savage 16 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I think the fact that he wasn't even prepared to back up his claims to his sponsors is pretty damning.
 James Oswald 16 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC News:
I find it quite sad that he's made these claims and won't back them up.
Well handled UKC.
James
 3leggeddog 16 Dec 2010
In reply to Tobias at Home:
> (In reply to 3leggeddog)
> [...]
> Of course, it would also be nice if he turns out to be one of the greatest all-round athletes of all time and doesn't give a fcuk about proving it

This is actually what I believe to be true. Either scenario deserves congratulation
Thanks for the comments and positive feedback.

In view of the fact this has been done to death, I am locking the thread now.

Alan
Tam Stone 16 Dec 2010
In reply to 3leggeddog: Although Im sure you won't, I'd be really interested to read your explanation why?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...