UKC

New camera, which lens?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Having just aquired a Canon eos 5d mkII (i know nothing about) i have just enroled on an 8 week evening class photography course at the local college. The problem is i don't have a lens at all yet.

I was looking between these two but if anone has any better suggestions i am open to suggestions. Also any other advice is always welcome as i know nothing at all yet......

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/76547/show.html

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/75321/show.html

I have gone to the Jessops website as have a £350 voucher for them, but i have been warned that these are the most expensive people for camera stuff.
 JDal 20 Dec 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson:
> Having just aquired a Canon eos 5d mkII (i know nothing about) i have ...> I have gone to the Jessops website as have a £350 voucher for them, but i have been warned that these are the most expensive people for camera stuff.
No, by rumour and on average they are among the worst informed sales staff (allegedly). But they used to Price Match +10% off against online stores, so long as you can prove that the online store has the gear in stock. Worh checking out.

JIMBO 20 Dec 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson: I love this...

Beauty is not just skin deep
The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS also features Canon’s new exterior design for lenses, with a textured finish for a sophisticated look and feel that matches your EOS camera.

So it looks good too... to be honest the 5D is a really good camera, save up and buy a really good lens rather than these rather bog standard ones. They are good - what do you want to do with it all?
 JIMBO 20 Dec 2010
In reply to JIMBO:
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/12877/show.html

This lens is great, does a really good job especially if you are indoors and can move about which I guess you could in an evening class...
 DougG 20 Dec 2010

Those are EF-S lenses, designed for use on a crop-sensor camera. The 5D Mark II features a full-frame sensor.

If it's mostly landscapes that you're going to be photographing then for the 5D Mark II you probably ought to be looking at the 24-105, the 17-40 and the 16-35 (all 'L' series). Not cheap, but then the camera is almost at the top end of Canon's DSLR range (there's only the 1D Mk III that is higher).
In reply to JIMBO: I only got this camera because i was offered it at a stupid price by someone who needed the cash. I have no lenses with it and no experience, hence the course. I want to eventually take pictures outdoors hillwalking, climbing etc. what would be the best lens for this? I don't really see myself taking many indoor/portrait style pics but who knows what the future holds............
In reply to DougG: Thanks Doug, at the moment all the numbers are gibberish as i have no idea what they mean but in a few weeks time i might have a better idea!
 Alyson 20 Dec 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson: Holy cow. My advice would be to sell the camera to me at a stupid price and buy a cheaper camera and lenses with the money!

In fact I could swap you my Canon 500D and a couple of very good lenses....
In reply to Alyson: I was actually thinking of selling it and getting a simpler camera but i will never have the chance to own a camera as good as this at that price again! (it was stupidly cheap)
 nz Cragrat 20 Dec 2010
In reply to Alyson:

Agree with you Alyson

James - the standard "rule" is you spend the money on the glass not the camera so you want to be looking at "L" series lenses ( the ones Pro photographers use)
 ChrisJD 20 Dec 2010

I shoot Canon full frame and have tried many lenses.

Full frame and the 5DII will be unforgiving of poor lenses.

I'd recommend the 24-105mm L IS f4 as a good compromise all rounder.

Start will this and see where it leads you.

In reply to nz Cragrat: OK, now i have had this advice enough times to start seriously considering it. What price should i ask for it and what should i swap it for? (if i do decide to sell up?)
 nz Cragrat 20 Dec 2010

Sorry can't help you on that as I am in NZ but Chris JD's comment on the lens is a good option
In reply to ChrisJD: Thanks Chris.
 Alyson 20 Dec 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson: I think for a beginner you're going to get so much more out of a cheaper camera and being able to afford a couple of different lenses than starting out with a 5D Mk ii and looking at £650+ per lens.

Alright, my suggestion of doing a camera swap with me was kind of tongue-in-cheek but something in the canon range around the 350D - 550D mark would be good.

The 5D Mark II is about £1500 new. I don't know what you paid for it but you could probably get... I dunno... £1000 to maybe £1200 ish for it in a private sale, possibly a bit less if you sold it to a shop. Do you know for sure it works?
 Jon Read 20 Dec 2010
In reply to ChrisJD:
agree totally; best thing if you want to keep the camera body is to cough up for a decent lens or get one second hand (they don't really lose their value if you look after them). The 24-104L would be ideal to start with. You'll probably find if photography is not for you you'll be able to sell the body+lens for a profit in a year's time (if you got it as cheap as you imply).
 ChrisJD 20 Dec 2010

Don't listen to people about selling the 5DII

I don't agree to all this "its not the camera" - there are many things in the system that affect IQ (image quality) - the camera sensor being damn important!

The key thing for you is that good glass is essential for this camera. It may not be on lesser cameras.

Keep it, it is a stunning camera and you will love it.

Why downgrade to something inferior?
In reply to Alyson: You Have Mail.
In reply to ChrisJD: AAAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! i love conflicting advice!
 ChrisJD 20 Dec 2010

Trouble is, most people with a view have:

i) Never held or used a full frame DSLR
ii) Never seen the outputs from a 5DII or full frame
In reply to ChrisJD: Half of me is saying, dont sell, you got a bargain, you will never get a camera this good this cheap again. The other half is saying, why do you need such an advanced camera which you have no idea how to use, get a simpler cheaper one.
Removed User 20 Dec 2010

You could always get a 50mm F1.8, nice lens and relatively cheap and will certaily do you a turn whilst you learn and get the cash together for that lens Chris mentioned.
 chopin-smith 20 Dec 2010

5D's are very good cameras. Just don;t put a crap lens on it.

Get a fixed Canon EF 28 f2.8 and maybe an EF 50 f1.8 or 85mm too.
You can pick them up fairly cheaply and the resulting quality will be better than most of the zooms out there -- and in a different league to the ones you linked to.

Your photography will be better as a result.

18-200 zooms and the like cover everything but are mediocre/rubbish at everything.

Whatever you do, don't buy a zoom. If you insist on doing so, get a 17-40 f4 L series to start with.
 ChrisJD 20 Dec 2010

> (In reply to ChrisJD) Half of me is saying, dont sell, you got a bargain, you will never get a camera this good this cheap again. The other half is saying, why do you need such an advanced camera which you have no idea how to use, get a simpler cheaper one.

Follow jon's advice

But a second hand 'good lens'. Keep it for a few months to see if you like photography.

It's a camera that you will 'grow' into.

To check 2nd hand value, look at completed listings on Ebay - there are 5D Mark 1 and Marks 2)

You won't lose much (if any) value in a few months (but maybe a bit post Xmas). If you buy a lens 2nd hand, more than often you'll sell if for near enough the same price (especially good Canon lenses).
 Dr Avid 20 Dec 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson: WTF, why on earth are people advising you to get a cheaper camera? Its brilliant, and at the end of the day they all still work on the same principles. Dont sell it, listen to chrisJD on the lenses, and look for second hand versions of them from places like London camera exchange and Fixation. These are two of the cheaper places ive bought lenses from, and although i advise you to be picky, their stock is usually good and will last. Even ebay shouldnt be ignored, especially buying off private individuals, but on no account buy off chinese online shops (in my opinion) I bought an 80-200 lens last year three years off an old guy on ebay and its still brilliant.

The rule of thumb for me is lenses last (most photographers look after glass) bodys deteriorate, especially digital.

Buy a couple of second hand lenses, keep the body is my advice.
In reply to ChrisJD: You have mail...
 ChrisJD 20 Dec 2010

Hi Paul

Cheers for mail.

2nd hand 24-105 are going on Ebay for £450 to £550.

Warehouse Express new: £850
Ebay New (in UK - use kerso seller): £750

If you bought 2nd hand, shouldn't lose anything noticeable in a few months.

I'd have no worries about 2nd lenses on Ebay (as long as you are not stupid) and I have bought and sold lenses on Ebay.
 Alyson 20 Dec 2010
In reply to ChrisJD:
> (In reply to James Paul Robinson)
>
> Trouble is, most people with a view have:
>
> i) Never held or used a full frame DSLR
> ii) Never seen the outputs from a 5DII or full frame

How do you know that?

I'm not arguing against your advice, just asking.

(James, I haven't looked at your email yet but if you can afford to buy good lenses then keep the camera! I would.)
 ChrisJD 20 Dec 2010
In reply to Alyson:

Based on the photographers I've met (friends and joe public whilst out and about)

Tom Last 20 Dec 2010

Hi James.

I've got a 5Dmk1 that I use for work an it's really good. Your camera is the bollocks, a real top end pro camera; take Chris's advice and keep it - it will pay dividends in the long run.

Plenty of decent lower end cameras out there, but none are going to perform as well as the mkII in certain circumstances. For example, in low light the mkII is hard to beat - ie your camera will be able to take excellent pictures without flash even when it's practically dark, this is a major advantage and the equal of having a good lens. It also shoots excellent video.

You've got a good deal, so don't squander it, £500 for a very good lens should see you right.

In reply to Southern Man: Thanks to all for the help and advice. I have just ordered a new lens from Ebay, the one Chris suggested. I will take my course for 8 weeks since i have paid for it. After this i should know whether i will want to keep it, and if not i will post for sale on here for the price i paid.

Thanks again

Jamie

Still confused by lenses.........
 Sean Bell 20 Dec 2010
In reply to ChrisJD:
>
> Don't listen to people about selling the 5DII
>
> I don't agree to all this "its not the camera" - there are many things in the system that affect IQ (image quality) - the camera sensor being damn important!
>
> The key thing for you is that good glass is essential for this camera. It may not be on lesser cameras.
>
> Keep it, it is a stunning camera and you will love it.
>
> Why downgrade to something inferior?

Wise words.

to the chap who said 'whatever you do, dont buy a zoom', fair enough, prime lenses are fantastic, light, small, and relatively cheap, but you cant tar all zooms with the shitty brush.It depends on what you are shooting I guess but some of Canon's (and Nikon's) top end modern zooms deliver outstanding quality, comparable to some prime lenses and sometimes having the options with a zoom lens is worth more than the (often unseeable)quality loss when compared to a prime.

Go with your gut, but you have yourself one nice wee starter camera there with which you can grow into.

have fun.
 Alyson 20 Dec 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson: I've just read your email! Oh my good lord you did get a bargain. Nice one!
In reply to Alyson: if i decide not to keep it i will give you first refusal. Same price i paid.

Thanks again.
 niggle 20 Dec 2010

It would be a shame to sell it. A really great photographer can take good photos with a rubbishy disposabale camera, but a beginner usually can't.

The only drawback you may find is that because you've kinda started at the top end of the gear, things are a bit more expensive for you.
In reply to niggle:
>
> The only drawback you may find is that because you've kinda started at the top end of the gear, things are a bit more expensive for you.

Bloody understatement! Spent 750 quid on a lens and 100 quid on a tripod in about 5 minutes!
 niggle 20 Dec 2010

Yeah, I could believe it!

Still, good luck with the classes and everything, we'll all look forward to seeing your shots!
 Andy S 20 Dec 2010
In reply to James Paul Robinson: I've always found Jessops prices to be on a par with online prices. The sales staff are often rubbish (but occasionally very knowledgable!). So long as you know what you want then it's all good. Don't buy their warranty though - I've heard from a good source that it's seriously dodge.
 Andy S 20 Dec 2010
> (In reply to Southern Man) Thanks to all for the help and advice. I have just ordered a new lens from Ebay, the one Chris suggested. I will take my course for 8 weeks since i have paid for it. After this i should know whether i will want to keep it, and if not i will post for sale on here for the price i paid.
>

Excellent decision! I read this through for the first time and was really hoping you didn't sell the camera! That would have been a terrible decision! I was hoping you would keep it and buy a decent lens for it and that's exactly what you've done. It's a fantastic piece of kit - one of the best cameras available at the moment. You've got nothing to lose by keeping this camera, at least for a while to see how you take to photography.

Tall Clare 20 Dec 2010

Can I just say that I'm rather jealous - I think that would be my camera of choice if I was going back to DSL and I could afford it (an unlikely combination in Clare-world) - and to have fun with it.
In reply to Tall Clare: Thanks for the kind words. You are more than welcome to borrow it if you wish.....
 Tall Clare 21 Dec 2010

thank you, that's very kind!
 Andy S 21 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: don't do it Clare - you'll want one then!

What happened to your trusty D40?
 Tall Clare 21 Dec 2010
In reply to Andy S:

I've never had a D40. I had a Canon 350D which I sold sometime in 2008.
 Andy S 23 Dec 2010
In reply to Tall Clare: must be mixing you up with someone else on here from a couple of years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...