UKC

Glen Muick/Lochnagar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aly 21 Dec 2010
Just wondering if anyone has been up there in the last day or so. Is the road open all the way? And is it possible to ski up from the carpark or is some walking required?
Thanks in advance, Aly
 Chris L Hill 22 Dec 2010
In reply to Aly: Went up Saturday, road was being ploughed as we left on Saturday evening, so should be no problem driving up. Path was a bit tedious to walk - lots of old uneven snow covered by light powder. Skiing might work, but I wouldn't bank on it.
 Mark020 22 Dec 2010
In reply to Chris L Hill:

What was the climbing like? I know it's plastered but were you pulling through powder on the ledges or is there old neve underneath?

Cheers,
Mark
OP Aly 22 Dec 2010
In reply to Chris L Hill: OK cheers, as long as there's snow cover on the track I'll risk taking the heavy skis and hope I don't have to carry them too far!
In reply to Aly:

bump!
 Chris L Hill 23 Dec 2010
In reply to Mark020: Cimbing was okay, not too much powder - some helpful neve, some cruddy stuff. We did Centrist on Central Butrress and then Cathedral Chimney. Don't know about snow/rime conditions higher up on the cliff since both routes we did are lower down. Lots of stuff doable though I'm sure!
 Mark020 23 Dec 2010
In reply to Chris L Hill:

Cheers.

Long routes and short days - mates got to be back in time for his Christmas Eve tea or his Mrs will shout at him and when she's done his Mother will probably kill him...

Didn't fancy windmilling through powder and everything taking twice as long cause he'll just use me as the excuse when he rolls in at 9 to the firing sqaud.

Mark
 Russell Lovett 23 Dec 2010
In reply to Chris L Hill: Thinking about a trip up to lochnagar in the new year just wondering roughly how long the walk in is from the car park.
In reply to Russell Lovett:

think it's about 3 miles!
OP Aly 23 Dec 2010
I was up there today, the snow sun/mon has made a big difference I think, with a fair bit about. I don't think anyone has gone past the Meikle Pap col since last weekend judging by the tracks (or lack of) in the corrie or on the plateau, could be wrong though.

It took me just over 2 hours to the col (and about 2:10 to the rescue box) but that was on skis. There's a reasonable bootpack in up to the col but I'd allow ~3hrs to get to the box from the carpark on foot. The upper buttresses are very white, you're going to have to earn the tick at the moment with lots of clearing. Most of the corrie and black spout are hard neve with wind blown snow on top but progress is OK once in the corrie. The neve in the gullies didn't make for great skiing unfortunately. There's not a lot of ice about, West Gully looks good at the bottom, but the start to Parallel A is only just there. Douglas Gibson hasn't banked out yet so there's still steps lower down and I couldn't see into Polyphemus. Raeburns looks nice and there weren't any cornices to speak of at the top of either branch of Black Spout so I suspect Raeburns/D-G etc. would be good too.

I'll stick a photo up later thisevening if anyone wants to see what conditions look like just now.
 IainMunro 23 Dec 2010
In reply to Aly:

Did you have to carry skis far or can you ski from the carpark? Thinking of skinning up tomorrow morning as the forecast looks pretty nice.

My main concern is the road, has it been gritted well? Especially interested in that wee steep dip with a bend about halfway up the road, most likely be driving up alone and remember pushing a friend out of the dip last new year...

Iain

OP Aly 23 Dec 2010
In reply to IainMunro: The road is OK, snowy but alright, the dip has been well gritted and I had no bother with it so I wouldn't worry.

I skinned all the way from the carpark without any bother. A few branches through the forest section, and the odd rock/heather clump going up to Meikle Pap but nothing too bad. I skied all the back down from the col to Loch muick, very quick descent which was nice!
 IainMunro 23 Dec 2010
In reply to Aly:

Cheers, better go and pack my rucksack!

Iain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...