UKC

question, re: the nose

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
USbiscuitin 29 Dec 2010
Hi,

Anyone know the current fastest British ascent of The Nose?
 Bulls Crack 29 Dec 2010
In reply to USbiscuitin:

Dinas Mot? About 10 minutes?
USbiscuitin 29 Dec 2010
In reply to USbiscuitin: i was refering rather, to the El Cap route..
 UKB Shark 29 Dec 2010
In reply to USbiscuitin:

Leo Houlding is almost certainly the title holder but I can only find reference to him doing it in "low 3 hours" with Ueli Steck in "2001?" here: http://noseinaday.com/. Given that the date has a question mark, the exact time unknown and Houlding's name is misspelt that info is obviously sketchy.
 duncan 30 Dec 2010
In reply to shark:

Simon, you've got your lines (on the database) crossed. The low 3 hours refers to Alex Honnold and Uli Steck.

I can't think who else it would be other than Leo but I can only find a time of 7:02 (http://www.speedclimb.com/yosemite/2nd3rds.htm Jason Singer and Leo Houlding. May 2001) which would be a stroll in the park for him. I'd be surprised if he hadn't done it faster.

7 hours should be easily beatable by a competent and moderately fit team with some Yosemite experience. So get on it people!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Dec 2010
In reply to duncan:
>
>
> 7 hours should be easily beatable by a competent and moderately fit team with some Yosemite experience. So get on it people!

Really? I thought doing it in a day was still a reasonably big deal?

Chris
 jon 30 Dec 2010
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I've a feeling Duncan did it pretty quickly nearly 30 years ago...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Dec 2010
In reply to jon:

30+ pitches in sub 7 hours - I can't even imagine it. Half Dome (23 pitches??) took us 10 1/2 hours and most of that is pretty easy going compared to the Nose!

Chris
 jon 30 Dec 2010
> (In reply to jon)
> Half Dome (23 pitches??) took us 10 1/2 hours and most of that is pretty easy going compared to the Nose!
>
>
> Chris

Took me a day and a half... I'd have said 10 1/2 was quite good going for HD. 24 pitches as I remember. Mind you, we set out to do it like that. And my partner was suffering from gout!
 london_huddy 30 Dec 2010

Pete Rhodes (sometimes of this parish) has a sub-12hrs for the Nose; not bad for a bloke with a 'real' job!
 jon 30 Dec 2010

Thierry Renault managed it in under 13 hours in 1979.

Duncan with the late Romain Vogler did sub 10 hours in 1984 (sorry Duncan) so 27 years later a sub 7 hour time by mere mortals doesn't sound unrealistic...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...