UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Making The Jump From Scottish III & IV to V & VI

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 30 Dec 2010
Erick leading his first Grade V, Savage Slit, Coire an Lochan, Northern Corries V,6., 3 kbAre you stuck at grade III or IV?

Andy Kirkpatrick tells it like it is - and tells you how to get better!

"You're crap... you're just hopeless and weak, and even on grade III's you're out of your depth."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3019

Mike Nolan 30 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Brilliant article!
 inuklm 30 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC Articles:

Awesome article as always Andy! Just the thing to read before I head out for a week!
 3leggeddog 30 Dec 2010

Noooooo!

The queues are bad enough as it is.

I'm a crap rock climber who feels good because he can almost mix it with the B team in winter. Articles like this will wreck my ego!

To add to Andy's advice; learn to suffer, winter road cycling is great for this. Go out with your local club on their winter training loops, imporved fitness, weightloss and most importantly suffering threshold raised
 The Pylon King 30 Dec 2010

isn't it just a case of getting bigger axes and doing loads of dry tooling?
 london_huddy 30 Dec 2010

Great article - loved this line:

Lots of people can climb grade VI without having to do anything, but seeing as you can't then you're going to have to put in some effort.

RichJ634 30 Dec 2010
In reply to UKC Articles: Good article. Not 100% convinced there is as big a correlation between winter climbing and rock climbing as the article implies though. They are quite different sports even if the similarities outweigh the differences.
 michaelb1 31 Dec 2010

Great article. Realise now that I am a cross between a tourist and a mountaineer. The point about hiring a guide is a good one, see how the good guys do it and then try to copy them.
 Scarab 31 Dec 2010

great article!
 StuLade 31 Dec 2010
Thought this was a great article, have wanted to push my winter grade for a while and have been making most of the steps in the article. Soon will be able to do some training on the rumoured Awesome Walls dry tooling bouldering area. Now just need to find somebody to drag me up some of them Grade VIs to get a taste.....
 Milesy 31 Dec 2010
great article
 Mr Fuller 02 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Quality article! It practically drips with psyche!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...