UKC

Approach shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CrankCrimp 05 Jan 2011
Anyone know of any good quality approach shoes?

Need to be wide fitting. Waterproof would be an advantage but not essential.
Must have a good sole for scrambling about on rock

Any idea's?
 TerryG 06 Jan 2011
In reply to CrankCrimp:

I'm very happy with my Scarpa Zens. They're not fully waterproof though
 Nadir khan 06 Jan 2011
In reply to CrankCrimp:the scarpa zen is great and has just been given a gortex membrane , might be called something different but essentially the same shoe , really good and cheaper than a lot of others i tried
 jdaynes 06 Jan 2011
In reply to CrankCrimp: Most people probably don't rate them but I love my Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultras. They are gore-tex lined and haven't let me down yet. also great for at the crag as you can slip them on and soof very easily with a quick lacing system.
 The Ivanator 06 Jan 2011
In reply to CrankCrimp:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1570
I like these (La Sportiva B5s) great for scrambles and easy climbs, and very durable. However they're not waterproof and I'm not sure they meet the "wide fitting" criterion.
 GrahamD 06 Jan 2011
In reply to CrankCrimp:

I'm pretty pleased with my current Merrels (I have wide feet as well)
 Steeve 06 Jan 2011
In reply to CrankCrimp: if you're only going to wear them for approach and easy climbing
(and not as your general shoe)
I cant recommend the 5.10 insight enough.
the best sole for wet grass and rock I've ever tried, comfy on long walk ins, and fit my wide feet.

the issue with 5:10s is that they WILL fall apart quicker than other shoes, the rubber is much softer, and wears down very quickly if used all the time.
but it is a performance shoe, designed for approach. if thats how you use it, you'll get a good few years out of it.

my main tip would be to avoid the "dotty sole" style shoes like the guide tennie etc. -in the UK you're mainly on wet grass and mud on an approach, so choose your shoe accordingly.

also, consider if you actually need an approach shoe, you might be better off with xc running shoes, or general trainers.
 John Ww 06 Jan 2011
In reply to CrankCrimp:

Try Raichle All Degree Low XCR - I love mine to bits!

Bear in mind that they have a almost rigid sole, so take a bit of getting used to. I've also altered the lacing system to stop heel lift on mine, but once tailored to fit, I very rarely wear anything else now.

I've also got a pair of 5.10 Guides - and can second the comments made above. The soles on mine are now so thin I might as well be in my bare feet, which isn't a lot of laughs on rough stony ground. Bloody sticky when clean though!

HTH, JW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...