UKC

NEWS: UKC'er Wins Outdoor Photography Mag Competition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 05 Jan 2011
The winning image of the World View category: Misty Dawn in Slovenia - Taken from the Summit of Triglav, 2 kbUKClimbing.com registered user Duncan Andison has won the World View category in the Outdoor Photography magazines Outdoor Photographer of the Year competition with a landscape photograph taken whilst climbing Triglav, Slovenia's tallest mountain.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=59692
In reply to UKC News:
Wow, lovely shots.

He's doing well for someone who only got into photography 2 years ago.
 Fraser 06 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Too bad he doesn't have more 5's in his gallery scores. <cough>

Very impressive!
 Jonny2vests 06 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Quite abstract for mountain photography no?

I like the other shots.

Well done Duncan.
 Mark Savage 06 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Congratulations are in order.
 Simon Caldwell 06 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:
What's gone wrong, the thread just contains congratulations. Where are all the posts saying it's worth a 2 if that and my 5 year old could do better?
 HATTSTER 06 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: Some great photos there, i think the winning one is the worst of the lot, the others are great.
 Steeve 06 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: definitely the worst of all those pictures, its very nice, but it doesnt say anything... the kind of thing you'd buy printed on canvas at homebase.
Duncan_Andison 06 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for all your kind words.... really appreciated.

As in Micks article, it was the shots from everyone here that really got me into photography, looking through the top 10 galleries and 200 shots you can't help but be inspired.

Before I got my first SLR in Jan 2008 I used to take the odd shot or two with a basic 2mb compact but seeing the shots here made me feel, I want to be able to do that. So, I started to teach myself how to use an SLR in manual mode etc. There was a 6 month spell when I didn't take anything.... frustrated at not being able to get the shots I wanted etc.... but in the end, something just seemed to click and I have loved it ever since. I used to working in commercial illustration in London many moons ago but only for a couple of years.

Jonny2vests - Very abstract indeed, but I think that's what made it stand out. Still love taking shots of big landscapes but after seeing Hans Strand's & Eliot Porter's work I really want to play around taking more abstract shots. Looking for the smaller elements of a landscape that are often missed but contribute to the bigger picture.

HATTSTER / Steeve - I do like the one that won, it's very different and a bit arty etc but I was surprised when that one was picked out. I put forward about 6 shots, and two of the shots in Mick's article were ones I sent in, Alpine feel to Aonach Beag & Lone Rock Scrambler (North Ridge up Triglav in Slovenia).

Everyone has different tastes so there is no way of predicting what will do well. It's what I feel a marmite shot, you either love it or hate it but it has been well received in photography forums & groups etc. Personally, I like the Lone Rock Scrambler best... but it's all down to personal choice I guess

HATTSTER 06 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: The two sunset pics in the article are realy great, upto the quality of the windows 7 scrensavers in my opinion.
 The Pylon King 06 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Common now this is a troll right?
In reply to Pylon King:

I Really hope so.

I seriously cant understand the photo..

Well Done i guess! Id probably be happy with it! I like the other photos.. that one just seems like someone without a face. If it had a tiny bit more detail perhaps i could understand it.
Duncan_Andison 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Pylon King:

You could be right... but then again.... No.

In reply to El3ctroFuzz:

I Really hope so.

I seriously cant understand the photo..

Well Done i guess! Id probably be happy with it! I like the other photos.. that one just seems like someone without a face. If it had a tiny bit more detail perhaps i could understand it.

Being picked out of 3000+ entrants, professional and amateurs from over 119 countries around the world..... yeah I'm happy. Just because you can't understand something doesn't make it wrong, you just don't understand it.
In reply to El3ctroFuzz:
> (In reply to Pylon King)
>
> I Really hope so.
>
> I seriously cant understand the photo..
>
> Well Done i guess! Id probably be happy with it! I like the other photos.. that one just seems like someone without a face. If it had a tiny bit more detail perhaps i could understand it.

You don't like the winning photo? I think it is great.

Good to see the larger scene that it has come from too. A lot of people would have just taken the wide angle view.

Jonny2vests 07 Jan 2011
In reply to mountain.martin:
> (In reply to El3ctroFuzz)
> [...]
>
> You don't like the winning photo? I think it is great.

I think its odd in that I probably would have thought it was a modern art painting if I hadn't been told it was a photo.
 The Pylon King 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Duncan_Andison:

Please don't get me wrong, you are obviously a talented photographer and bloody well done for winning but the the winning photo doesn't actually look like a photo to me, it looks like a piece of graphic art and soulless.
 Tall Clare 07 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Good stuff. I like the winning photo.
In reply to Duncan_Andison:
Didnt say it was wrong if thats what u meant (sorry if u didnt).

Just to me, i thought, wtf. You could quite easily create this in editing software such as fireworks or photoshop.

Maybe the beauty is in that, It COULD be made un naturally, but the fact that it has been photo'd not made. Perhaps.

I still just think a tiny bit more detail in the outlines, it would have been better.

Still, Did u win any money? Cant be bad if u did!
Removed User 07 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Duncan; remember you only have to please yourself and the judge......fck the rest of them.

I'm only pissed off as I have a similar shot from a trip away
Congratulations again.
 simes303 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Pylon King:
> (In reply to Duncan_Andison)
>
> Please don't get me wrong, you are obviously a talented photographer and bloody well done for winning but the the winning photo doesn't actually look like a photo to me, it looks like a piece of graphic art and soulless.

I think it's ace!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Pylon King:
> (In reply to Duncan_Andison)
>
> Please don't get me wrong, you are obviously a talented photographer and bloody well done for winning but the the winning photo doesn't actually look like a photo to me, it looks like a piece of graphic art and soulless.

Maybe that is part of the point, it looks like graphic art but it is actually a photograph?

Chris

PS I like it - a lot.
 ChrisJD 07 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

I love it.

Much more interesting than the wide angle shot of the same scene.

Well done on winning the Category.
 niggle 07 Jan 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> PS I like it - a lot.

That wouldn't be anything to do with your own blog having a near-identical shot in the background would it?

Duncan_Andison 07 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks again everyone!!

Pylon King & El3ctroFuzz.... don't worry... early start at work after the new year.... just me being grouchy

however El3ctroFuzz you did sort of hit the nail on the head.

<soap box>

When I got the shot on the screen I really liked the delicate finish and blue tones. I knew it didn't look like a real photo, more like an airbrush painting using torn paper as a mask and that people would look and think, that's not real you would never see that in real life!

And there lies the point, you can. We don't need to manipulate real images to make something beautiful, nature is perfectly capable of doing that on it's own. All we need to do is open our eyes to what's around us.

I know i'm guilty of chasing the big vistas but I'm starting to realise now that I've often been blind to what's really there. I think we often do the photographic equivalent of flash reading, skipping over what's there and forgetting the devil is in the detail. As a result we miss out on some of the most important bits. That doesn't mean I no longer want to take big vistas, I just want to have an open mind and eye to what's around me.... learning to see again!

And.... I love layering shots! I remember seeing ChrisJD's shot, "Beauty in the Back Yard" and thinking wow, I want to be able to get shots like that. It may not be a climbing shot but it's inspirational one and that is one reason I hope all the changes that are going on don't mean these type of images lose a prominent place for everyone else to see.

I've lost count how many times I've looked through the top 50 galleries and being bowled over by the standard of shots, it would be a shame to lose this unique collection and it should be encouraged and developed further.

Saying that, I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop when the new site is unleashed!

Thanks again everyone!

</soap box>
In reply to Duncan_Andison: Nice :P I didnt bother reading that first time road... or that time round.. Im just assuming its what Chris and I wrote above.

I see a big lump of text and press a link somewhere :P
 Andy S 19 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: I love the shot. It's got an incredibly uplifting feel to it. The colour and tones are fantastic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...