UKC

I need a new futile pursuit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 8ace 10 Jan 2011
it's been a while since I gave something new a go. I climb (obviously), kayak, cycle, I've done a bit of caving, climbed a bit of ice and tried a number of martial arts, but I'm feeling like I have time to pick up another pointless skill try it for a year or so and then possibly discard it. Anyone got any suggestions?

My basic requirements are that it has to be active, fun, not obscenely expensive, and absolutely no bloody use in day-to-day life. If it's something that can be done in the cold winter months in London this would also be a bonus.
 Tom Last 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Get down the South Bank and go skateboarding.
OP 8ace 10 Jan 2011
In reply to Southern Man:

Thanks, this is in the right vein, but I should also point out I'm in my thirties, which sort of rules this out.

and while we're on the south bank - before anyone suggests it - I'm too inelegant for parkour.
 Queenie 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Horse riding.
 Tom Last 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Hmm, I know what you mean, if I wasn't in my 30s myself I'd start again - brilliant fun, should never have stopped.
 mike123 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: very commendable. something i spent most of my 20s and early 30s devoting large amounts of time to.
lets think.......er.......bikram yoga
 lithos 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

juggling - lots of totally pointless skill based stuff to learn

http://www.jugglingdb.com/
 rossowen 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: How about Parkour?
OP 8ace 10 Jan 2011
In reply to Queenie:

tried horse riding, thanks. They gave me the dunce's horse and I was still rubbish at it. Didn't help that my girlfriend had been some kind of showjumping goddess in her youth.
 Brass Nipples 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Build a Coracle and ride the rivers of the UK
 shaggypops 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: indo board
 EddInaBox 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Bell ringing.
 Margaret 10 Jan 2011
OP 8ace 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Indo board looks suitable pointless, I have to say. Not sure it'd hold my attention for all that long.

Coracle is good, but surely this is effectively a canoe that's nigh-impossible to control? Also, I'd have to make one.

mattrm 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

It has to be skateboarding. Sod that you're 30. It's great. Sad in a way that skaters can be such utter arseholes. Also as most skaters don't see what they do as a sport, most people injure themselves out of skating (that's what happened to me), so they don't stretch or take care of themselves.

Or BMXing? Much more acceptable for older people.
 Toerag 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: Making the coracle is half the fun, especially if you go for a traditional one with willow/hazel branches sheathed in a tarred hide or cloth. Geocaching is recommended and can be done pretty much anywhere at any time.
For something more active - Pillarbox leapfrogging
Yrmenlaf 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Medieval re-enacting. I'd recommend joining this outfit

http://www.regia.org/main.htm

(just tell 'em I sent you)

Y.
 Dax H 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: The European historical weapons guild.
It is not a re enactment club it is a martial art based around swords, shields, pole axes and daggers. Totally pointless but cracking good fun.
 Blue Straggler 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Archery.
OP 8ace 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

ooh, archery is tempting. Good idea. Active, fun and completely useless unless I'm attacked by the huguenots...

(I'm going to have to veto the coracle. It's a lovely idea but I'm short of willow, hazel and space here in islington)
 abr1966 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: Skydiving.....serious buzz, or diving?
Lady Jane Grey 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: Tango, salsa, zumba etc.
 Blue Straggler 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

I can recommend 20-20 archery.

http://www.2020archery.co.uk/

goldmember 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: learn sign langauge?
 The Lemming 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

>
> My basic requirements are that it has to be active, fun, not obscenely expensive, and absolutely no bloody use in day-to-day life. If it's something that can be done in the cold winter months in London this would also be a bonus.

First guess, masturbation.

Second guess would be meditation and the search for enlightenment.

Both have the potential for blissfully being in 'the moment'
OP 8ace 10 Jan 2011
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to 8ace)
>
> First guess, masturbation.
>

something I haven't tried before.
 The Lemming 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Then inner peace and enlightenment it is.

OP 8ace 10 Jan 2011
In reply to The Lemming:

tried that too, it's overrated
 birdie num num 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:
Backscuttling
ice.solo 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

olympic lifting.

doesnt have to make you huge, has a good buzz to it, lots to obsess over, keeps you in good working order, real world applications.
 Conf#2 10 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Oh man, I thought you needed a fruit pastel. Disappointment.
 teflonpete 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Clay pigeon shooting. Completely pointless, frustratingly difficult but you get to make something go boom!
 gribble 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Dwarf throwing.
 LastBoyScout 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Fencing - of the sword variety.
 lynda 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: Acting/singing lessons
 The Ivanator 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: Wild swimming is where it is at, especially at this time of year. A proper headrush! See my new year's dip on my wife's blog: http://www.thelifeofatextilesteacher.blogspot.com/
 MJ 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Dogging.
Kipper 11 Jan 2011
In reply to The Ivanator:

I like your website name - 'the life o fat ex tiles teacher'!
 Boogs 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

There are some wonderful suggestions here ! & I agree with those of archery & dancing (of any kind) !Aerobatic flying is mad fun too .
Personally I'm looking for a similar outlet & hobby & am seriously considering taking up demolishing drug dealers starting as of today they're are plenty to choose from around these parts .

Think I'll start at the bottom & work my way up 80). Probably won't be my best lifestyle choice & it may not last long but it'll keep me busy for a little while .

Have fun & stay safe whatever you decide 8ace 80) cheers .
 Kevster 11 Jan 2011
In reply to boogie man:

I fancy BASe jumping. Gotta start sky diving I guess. Expensive though to start.
Paragliding or hangliding also in the same vein.

Pilates.

Gymnastics/trampolining

Musical instrument

Dance
 John Ww 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Crazy golf!
 AlisonSmiles 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Not indoors but maybe:

Inline skating
Dinghy sailing lessons (my own personal futile pursuit possibility for this summer)
Something rowing related - indoor to begin with on the pixel stream ...
 The Lemming 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> tried that too, it's overrated

Power Kites?

I find them quite fun.
 the sheep 11 Jan 2011
In reply to The Ivanator:
> Wild swimming is where it is at, especially at this time of year. A proper headrush! See my new year's dip on my wife's blog: http://www.thelifeofatextilesteacher.blogspot.com/

Lol, when we were kids jumping in the local rivers we just called it swimming

doz generale 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

whoring?

mike_uk82 11 Jan 2011
 ring ouzel 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: fly fishing. Or fettling old motorbikes.
 Leif Andrews 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: Surfing......? Cave diving.....?
 rousse 11 Jan 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout: I second fencing - great fun, lots of good clubs in London. I've been doing it for 4 years and I'm still pretty rubbish, so high on the futility index too.
OP 8ace 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Right, I'm looking into the archery. Fencing might be a reserve - any recommendations for clubs in London?
 rousse 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: A bunch of links here:

http://www.londonregionfencing.co.uk/#/clubs/4532956919

Haverstock, LTFC (London Thames), Gadaski and One Two Six are the London clubs I get beaten most often at competitions by, but that's not to say other clubs are not just as good (I fence epee, so will see clubs that are strong in epee too). FYI there's also foil and sabre.

Feel free to ask questions!
 Wonrek 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: Just found a link for 'Urban Exploration'

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk

The sport is defined by Wiki as:

'Urban exploration (often shortened as urbex or UE) is the examination of the normally unseen or off-limits parts of urban areas or industrial facilities.[1] Urban exploration is also commonly referred to as infiltration, although some people consider infiltration to be more closely associated with the exploration of active or inhabited sites. It may also be referred to as "draining" (when exploring drains) "urban spelunking", "urban caving", or "building hacking".'

Looking at the reports is the forums there is strangely fascinating!

Cx
 The Ivanator 11 Jan 2011
In reply to the sheep:
> (In reply to The Ivanator)
> [...]
>
> Lol, when we were kids jumping in the local rivers we just called it swimming

Well swimming doesn't sell as many books as when you throw a spicy wild in front.
Re. pun on my wife's web address (not yours sheep) I'll keep that one quiet as she wouldn't appreciate the weight connotations, sensitive issue that one!
 stranter 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:
Freestyle Embroidery?
Extreme Ironing?!
 AlisonSmiles 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

geo caching!
Flatus Vetus 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Darts
Online dominoes
Making home-made chocolates
Press-ups and pullups
 phildavies84 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: I second the suggestion of juggling. The first 3 ball cascade may take a bit of hard work, but the leaning curve after that is pretty fast and getting mills mess solid is pretty satisfying
 Ade7 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: Have you tried chasing women... oh wait sorry that is obscenely expensive.
 BelleVedere 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:
> (In reply to Queenie)
>
> Didn't help that my girlfriend had been some kind of showjumping goddess in her youth.

Are you moaning?

birdie num num 11 Jan 2011
In reply to Ade7:
I normally chase cheap women
trevor simpson 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Pretend to be a spy and recruit some agents.

Run them using dead letter drops and coded twitter posts.

Nigel will ride his bicycle through the vegetable department tonight.
 aln 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
>
> Thanks, this is in the right vein, but I should also point out I'm in my thirties, which sort of rules this out.
>

Tell that to Tony Hawk. Is this kind of attitude a British thing? In America you see loads of people in their 30's and above taking part in activities like skateboarding which we seem to consider childish or be embarrassed about enjoying.
 Nigel R 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Geocaching
Free running
Capoeira
Tagging
Yrmenlaf 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Coracling, fencing, archery, embroidery...

For goodness sake! Medieval reenactment has all of these!

Y.
 Evilllamas 11 Jan 2011
ice skating
Table Tennis
trampolining
anther martial art
paintball?
mountain biking

I'm sure there's loads more you can try...
 Evilllamas 11 Jan 2011
Target shooting....
with a big rifle it can considred slightly active I supose, and practical pistol definatly is (uses air pistols though)
I do .22 small bore shooting and its fun.
 Escher 11 Jan 2011
Rock balancing...
Wiley Coyote2 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Firewalking. Well you wanted somethng for winter!
OP 8ace 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

I am NOT taking up juggling. End of.

Also: that bloody thing with the balls on string.
 thin bob 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:
> (In reply to 8ace)
>

>
> Also: that bloody thing with the balls on string.

Tightrope walking?..... U r doing it rong
 gunbo 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace: Land yachting it's great I built my own kart from scratch welding and metalworking skills required the karts go bloody fast and they gave no brakes what more could you want
Removed User 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:
For utter futility you could roll a malteaser up Snowdon with your nose. Cheap, active and absolutely no bloody use in day to day life.
 mack 11 Jan 2011
In reply to 8ace:

Train Surfing...

Archery is a good choice and has its uses - with a bit of practice and a good sturdy longbow you could decimate a group of morris dancers within a minute... or jugglers or even tree huggers.

=)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...