UKC

When are you "A Climber"?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Lewis 24 Jan 2011
Conversation over the weekend, just wondered what the consensus might be.

When does someone start to be "A Climber" over, just someone who has been climbing?

Clearly been to a wall once, top roped with instructor = is not yet a climber really.

Whilst been climbing years, done a mixture of winter, single and multi pitch, ground up, big mountain routes and sacrificed comfort, money and time to their passion is certainly a climber as well as a mountaineer.

What is the measure?

Grade?
Leading?
Focus?
Number of routes?

Your thoughts peoples

J
banned profile 74 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis: guess its dowen to the frequency with which you go climbing
 Blue Straggler 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

When you have an incident near something vertical and the newspaper reports it. A man who tumbles down a cliff whilst walking his dog, will be described as a climber.
In reply to John Lewis:

Not at all having a pop at you John, but this thread has been done loads of times - not sure if it'll easily come up on a search though.
juntao 24 Jan 2011
why does it need to be defined? your a climber when you feel like a climber whenever that may be. grade, leading, focus, number of routes, its not something which should be or needs to be quantified!
OP John Lewis 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler: No I'm sure it has been done to death in the past.

Interesting I had been running for more than 6 months 3 times a week usually, done 4 timed events, and talked to other runners about how it felt, how to train, and tips as well as feeling grumpy if I did not go for a run before I finally admitted that I was now a runner.

I'm guessing that the desire to pack up your rack head out even if the weather is poor, just to get your fix and getting grumpy if you dont get to train indoors for an evening have me pretty tagged then.

Yes the press really seem to have got themselves confused about it.

J
In reply to juntao:
> why does it need to be defined? your a climber when you feel like a climber whenever that may be. grade, leading, focus, number of routes, its not something which should be or needs to be quantified!

I would tend to agree with that.
In reply to John Lewis:

There are more niche sports in which it is difficult to train frequently (hello, freediving in the UK....sigh....) and then it gets really hard to decide whether you are a [insert-sport-here]-er.
 Scarab9 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

My opinion is that it's not connected to grade/abiility, or even to frequency (although there's a bit of a limit there). It's down to dedication, or more correctly the level to which you actively persue it.

If you'll somehow work things out so you can go climbing even if it means being a bit skint during the week, missing a piss up with your other mates, having to drive a couple of hours to do a few routes, going out on a rainy day in the hope of getting something done etc (not necessarily all the above at once), generally showing that you have a drive or need to climb, then you're a climber.

This also rules out novelty factor climbers (the ones who are mad keen but only been doing it a month or two during summer and never really had to prove to themseleves that they'll stick at it once once it's not so easy)
 Jimbo C 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

When you look at the 5 day weather forecast on Tuesday to see if there's any chance you might be able to get out climbing at the weekend without getting wet.
 GrahamD 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

Organised trips to, and climbed on, a variety of different rock types would be a start.
Profanisaurus Rex 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

As you know, I climb very rarely these days, and because of that, my grade has plummeted, and the number of routes climbed in the last three to four years can be counted on my fingers.

However, I spend every day chafing at the bit, and trying to overcome the obstacles that prevent me from climbing. That, I feel, makes me a climber. I'm sure many will disagree, but that's OK.
 Yanis Nayu 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Jimbo C:
> (In reply to John Lewis)
>
> When you look at the 5 day weather forecast on Tuesday to see if there's any chance you might be able to get out climbing at the weekend without getting wet.

That's me then!
 Horse 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Jimbo C:

No that makes you a fair weather climber

A climber goes regardless of the forecast on the grounds "there's always something to do".
Sarah G 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:
Agree with the OP- one go with a scout/brownie/"adventure" provider a climber does not make.

I would say it is about the person seeing climbing as at least a semi-regular activity they take part in. I say semi, because if you only do ice climbing it won't exactly be something you do every week. I don't think it is anything to do with grade, or any kind of numbers game.

Sx
 Al Evans 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler: Off point, but showing I know nothing about freediving, are there competitive events?
 KarlH 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

Oh you naughty boy John.
 sutty 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

I think it is when you think about doing it a lot and wishing you were doing it as often as you want.

Doing other things as well does not stop you being a climber, they may complement or conflict at times but you are still a climber.
 Sam Beaton 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

when your climbing guides outnumber every other book on your shelves put together?
In reply to Profanisaurus Rex:
>
> As you know, I climb very rarely these days, and because of that, my grade has plummeted, and the number of routes climbed in the last three to four years can be counted on my fingers.

Well if you were from Norfolk, that might be a few more then
>
> However, I spend every day chafing at the bit, and trying to overcome the obstacles that prevent me from climbing.

Looking forwward to seeing you out climbing again soon then

That, I feel, makes me a climber. I'm sure many will disagree, but that's OK.

Yep maybe not everyone agrees but it's how you see yourself, thats fine.

J

In reply to Sam Beaton:
>
> when your climbing guides outnumber every other book on your shelves put together?

No then your just a not very widley read climber

Feck, I would never be a climber at that rate!

J
 Wonrek 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis: Maybe when you don't get to go out climbing very often but look at the other sports you do more regularly as training towards climbing?

I can't wait to get out on rock to see how the new rowing, running, non smoking me performs on rock!

:-D

Cx
 gcandlin 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis: "A climber" starts to be "A climber" whenever he thinks of himself as "A climber"
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) Off point, but showing I know nothing about freediving, are there competitive events?

Yep, I even participated in an international one last year

I came last.
 Al Evans 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler: How do they work, can you post a link?
 Reach>Talent 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
There is a fair bit here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-diving

This is quite a good read (saying that I've had a copy for best part of a year and failed to get through it)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manual-Freediving-Underwater-Single-Breath/dp/19286...
 Scarab9 24 Jan 2011
In reply to gcandlin:
> (In reply to John Lewis) "A climber" starts to be "A climber" whenever he thinks of himself as "A climber"

I disagree. While there is some truth there there's also some notable exceptions I can think of.

Best one being an ex of mine who I always thought of as a membership card collector. She'd dived once but was "into diving", she did about 7-10 skydives bbut as soon as it got tricky (she had a bad habit she couldn't break) she stopped going but still said she was a skydiver, she'd climbed a few times in uni at a wall but was 'a climber' (who then came a few times with me before quitting again).
While I in no way would judge her for this in any negative light, I would say that she was not a skydiver, nor a diver, nor a climber. (there were several other things too)
It's a shame too cos she could have been good in all of them.
 Wft 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

Agree its a mindset more than anything...

....but just for a laugh

E5
French 7c
Font 7b
Winter V

And above
In reply to Al Evans:
They work differently, some are individual events, some are done in teams. But basically for open water you announce your target depth (without officially knowing what anyone else is going for) and the organisers set a running order, and you have an official time to start your dive. You go, hopefully reach your depth and return safely having retrieved a tag from the bottom as proof. You might do two competition dives in different disciplines in a day, depending on scheduling. If you announce, say, 35m and a stronger diver announces 40m, you could still beat them if they screw it up.Little report from the one I went to (it has some jargon as it's written for freedivers, and it's more about the preparation than the competition. This was one competition dive per day for three days)
http://blue-straggler.net/Triple_Depth_Blue_Straggler.pdf
Similar for distance in a pool but in that case you can over-run your announced performance (can't do that on depth as they set the stopper knot on the line to your depth target, for safety)
 Conf#2 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

If someone asks me if I'm a climber I usually reply

'Urmm, well, I mean, I love to climb - I'm pretty keen, yeah.'

Then I clam up. I don't really know what someone is asking when they ask that question, therefore don't know how to answer. They obviously have some preconceived idea of what a climber is in their head, and as I'm not sure what that is I don't really see any point in saying yes or no.

It doesn't matter.
 Soap 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis: When you grind away all week at work and all you can think about it getting out and rocking at the weekend.
In reply to confusicating:

Good answer. I'd feel a fraud if I said "yes, I'm a climber", but then it's that sort of question that in turn gives rise to the OP's question.
I suppose it would be harder for me to deny, having travelled to Egypt solely to train for and participate in a freediving comp, that "I am a freediver"...yet I spend far more resources on climbing but I still wouldn't call myself a climber. Funny that.
In reply to John Lewis:

The real answer is "when you do it without ropes like that French bird in Africa"
 Andy Hardy 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

I start to be a climber most Tuesday evenings about 7.30, and the odd Saturday.
 staceyjg 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

You already know the answer to this. In you heart you know you are a climber, regardless of what others may think, and if you aren't, the only person you are fooling is yourself!
In reply to staceyjg:
>
> You already know the answer to this. In you heart you know you are a climber, regardless of what others may think, and if you aren't, the only person you are fooling is yourself!

Good answer!
 teflonpete 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

To me, it's how you feel about climbing that makes you a climber.

Having a go (indoors or out) and quite fancying doing it again sometime - someone who has been climbing.

Having a go (indoors or out) and feeling excited and exhillerated and needing to do it again, progressing, exploring new places, both geographically and within your own soul as a result - climber.
 haworthjim 24 Jan 2011
In reply to GuyVG:
>
> Agree its a mindset more than anything...
>
> ....but just for a laugh
>
> E5
> French 7c
> Font 7b
> Winter V

lets face it if you're climbing anything less your new to the game or a punter!
>
> And above

haworthjim 24 Jan 2011
In reply to haworthjim: or a climber who's injured/recovering from injury
 John Ww 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

> been climbing years, done a mixture of winter, single and multi pitch, ground up, big mountain routes and sacrificed comfort, money and time >
> Grade?
> Leading?
> Focus?
> Number of routes?

Can't believe this has come so far without somebody adding

"leading routes while placing (and possibly falling onto) your own protection".

Just a thought
 John Ww 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Ww:

Or possibly

"When you have bought a full rack of gear, learnt how to use it, have used it, and are still using it on a regular basis".
In reply to haworthjim:

> lets face it if you're climbing anything less your new to the game or a punter!

Yes but is a punter a climber or not
 sutty 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

Look here sonny, you are a punter, and a climber.
I believe you even imitation climbed on that plastic stuff last week.
In reply to sutty: several times sutty, several times!

As sson as I can get on rock I will!

Yep I am a climber

And a punter

And occasionally a tw*t
 staceyjg 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

more often a tw*t!!
 sutty 24 Jan 2011
In reply to staceyjg:

Back off Stacey, you will get his ginger up.
 James Oswald 24 Jan 2011
In reply to Scarab9:
Isn't frequency a function of how dedicated you are though?
James
 GrahamD 24 Jan 2011
In reply to James Oswald:

No. If you live in Cambridge, getting to climb even once a week needs a load more dedication than if its on your doorstep.
 GrahamD 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

I still think its a self reliant thing. Once you pick the venues, the routes etc. and make them happen, then you are a climber. If you always go on trips where everything is laid on in terms of organisation I don't think you're the real deal.
 midnitegem 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:
What about planning to still be climbing in your 80's? The feeling that this has become a part of you and will never leave.
After chatting to 2 couples in Sella, Spain all in their 60's and over from the UK for some climbing I realised that I am hoping with all my being that that will be me in 30 years!
Wiley Coyote2 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

Coming soon: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
 haworthjim 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis: No a punter is someone who goes climbing
Yrmenlaf 24 Jan 2011
In reply to John Lewis:

I'm a climber because climbing is a necessary part of my life.

Y.
In reply to Yrmenlaf: Thank you, I think that settles it for me. It is a necessary part of my life. I am a climber, husband, father, worker, lover, runner and friend and I may yet add cyclist and swimmer to the list.

Done it for me Y.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...