UKC

NEWS: La Capelle - French Bouldering Venue - Banned

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Jan 2011
A classic highball Font 7a at La Capelle - Now banned, 3 kbThe excellent bouldering area close to the village of La Capelle in SE France has been closed to climbers indefinitely with threat of prosecution to those who ignore this ban.

The land owner was previously happy for climbers to use this unusual sandstone area for bouldering (and a few short bolted routes) but has become increasingly frustrated at the damage caused...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60003

banned profile 74 25 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: another case of a small minority spoiling if for everyone else
 Richard Horn 25 Jan 2011
In reply to beastofackworth:

If only it was a 'small' minority - there are a sizeable proportion of climbers who dont seem to understand the concept of being low profile.
 Mark Savage 25 Jan 2011
In reply to Richard Horn:

> there are a sizeable proportion of climbers who dont seem to understand the concept of being low profile.

Too true.
 PeteH 25 Jan 2011
In reply to Mark Savage:
Another unfortunate consequence of our modern culture of entitlement
 djaplat 26 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: That's a real shame. I met the owner of the area a couple of years ago and we talked a bit about this exact issue. He seemed like a real nice bloke and definitely someone who is willing to resolve the issue. Kind of sad that climbers are still not able to take care of their environment.
 OllieR 26 Jan 2011
In reply to djaplat: He was a great bloke and always hanging out amongst the rocks chatting to the climbers. Even though he had never climbed in his life (and clearly eaten a little too much bree) he knew all the moves to every problem and was happy to share this beta.
 NickHobbs 26 Jan 2011
Am gutted. Tied a few visits in to the family holiday last year. In fact we found a campsite as near as possible. Our 2 year old is keeping us from bolt clipping at the mo. Great venue, even in the summer if you get up there early. Saw the owner every time I went. He always asked me if i'd been smoking(i don't) Saw groups of french lads a few times, always with the roll ups. To my shame I didn't confront them about it, as my french is poor. Considering you can walk the whole length of the place in less than 5 minutes, they could easily have gone into the town square for a fag. Bloody shame,as there isn't much bouldering in that area.
woodster 27 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Sad story.

It reminds me of a trip about ten years ago. I was wandering around the Grampians, Australia, miles from anywhere, checking out some 'newly discovered' bouldering areas. John Sherman (of legendary V grade fame)was with us and I remember coming across a very cool looking cave with some great looking hard problems in it. He looked around at the scene in front of him and said, with a note of sadness: 'fags, tags and tape - the sign of a developed boulder venue'.

Climbers have a responsibility to clear their shit up after them. After all it only takes five minutes to brush some holds and pick up fag butts and tape. Climbing venues are part of the global backyard, do as you would in your own.

Don't get me started on popular coastal fishing spots, the amount of crap that lot leave behind...FFS!
 specimen 27 Jan 2011
sad sad times this is a lovly little place to go peapole are so wreackless with some of the most amazing places in the world it drives you mad to think how disrispectful they are!!!!
 Bruce Hooker 27 Jan 2011
In reply to woodster:

You can say much the same about many areas at Fontainebleau. Already a free campsite near the Cuvier has been closed as even after several warnings were posted about respecting the rules - about length of stay, not using the woods as a toilet, tidiness etc. For some time The National Forestry Office has been putting up notice boards asking people not to use wire brushes, magnésie (chalk) as well as more standard things like no litter, fires etc. and yet the place is messier every year. Who knows how long it will be before an official reaction?
In reply to Bruce Hooker: And where exactly should we/I have used to shit and piss apart from the woods when there was no toilet.

And at Cuvier the mess created by none climbers is far worse than that created by climbers. I suspect (hope!!!) that the condoms are not down to the climbers.
 Bruce Hooker 28 Jan 2011
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

There was no toilet as it was only a bivouac camp site, not meant for long stays... The same as the two remaining ones, at the hippodrome and South of Fontainebleau at Bouligny, although the last time I looked there was a toilet at the latter.
 Beardyman 28 Jan 2011
In reply to UKC News: It's worth remembering that we rely on the goodwill of land owners to be able to enjoy so many amazing climbing areas. It's always a good idea to pick up any rubbish you see at the crag or on the walk in, it only takes a second to pop it in your rucksack and gives you that lovely feeling of superiority over the idiot that dropped it in the 1st place!!
i.munro 28 Jan 2011
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> (In reply to Bruce Hooker)
> And at Cuvier the mess created by none climbers is far worse than that created by climbers. I suspect (hope!!!) that the condoms are not down to the climbers.

So at one of the hundred or so ?? spots in the forest frequented by climbers some other group (an organised criminal gang/s ??) has managed to make more of a mess. That's ok then.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...