UKC

MOTIVATION

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 26 Jan 2011
Right, so started a new job with a gym across the road, whic I am now a member of. Living in Westbury wilts and working 11 hour days Mon-Fri and 9-5 on Saturdays. Sundays are my free day.

I get an hour at the gym 3 times a week.
Don't get me wrong, loving the job but I've lost motivation for climbing and haven't climbed for ages (2 / 3 months)

so ladies, gents boys and girls... Tips for starting again and minimising the effects of a) feeling like a punter and b) damaging my wallet.

Quarryboy 26 Jan 2011
In reply to bouldery bits:

You see I've never had a problem with motivation about climbing. I have a problem with motivation at school because all I ever want to do is go climbing.

I'm not sure which is worse your problem or mine
In reply to bouldery bits: I think if you put more effort in at work you wouldnt have any energy left for the gym.

I didnt think you had an ego that would object to punterdom?

Does it cost to climb on those huge boulders up the A303?
ice.solo 26 Jan 2011

starting at 4.30am drag yourself out on some nasty winter route next sunday.

puts motivation into perspective and shows you just how accessible gym climbing is.

and, if by any chance you actually enjoy winter climbing, the indoor stuff becomes a way of staying the general groove.

if not: find out what time the girl in ballet pants goes climbing (theres one in every gym)
 AlisonSmiles 27 Jan 2011

As our work's psych advises - you don't need to be motivated, you just need to be committed. I think his point is motivation ebbs and flows but commitment is long term ... mind you, this is about training for Olympic medals.
OP bouldery bits 27 Jan 2011
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

OOOh, I like it!
In reply to Fawksey:
> (In reply to bouldery bits) I think if you put more effort in at work you wouldnt have any energy left for the gym.

Errr.. in that well known physically demanding role as a mortgage adviser.
I could put a dumbell on phone I suppose...
>
> I didnt think you had an ego that would object to punterdom?

I object to my own punterdom.
>
> Does it cost to climb on those huge boulders up the A303?

Yes - a short stay at her maj's pleasure. But that's a whole other debate.

to clarify it's a gym gym, a running on a treadmill posing and picking up heavy stuff gym.
Sadly not a climbing gym.
 _MJC_ 27 Jan 2011
In reply to AlisonSmiles: So very true!
 Kevster 27 Jan 2011

Quit work, become a bum, climb harder, achieve, then maybe turn to surfing or something. (No dig to anyone as it fits a few I know of)

Or blame it on being winter, book a holiday to somewhere hard core and train like a man posessed.

Or, dare I say, have a break? or a change?

Joking aside, hope the mojo, ego and life find some common ground. k
 Tiberius 28 Jan 2011
> to clarify it's a gym gym,

The only motivation I ever found at a gym was when they put the bikes behind the ski machines. Watching the women say their hips from side to side was quite motivating :p

However in general I find gyms completely non-motivating. The important thing is to find an exercise that motivates you. For me it was cycling, other people it's running etc. Just find something that motivates you.
 Andy Farnell 28 Jan 2011
In reply to bouldery bits: Buy a beastmaker, use it. Simples.

Andy F
 EeeByGum 28 Jan 2011
In reply to bouldery bits: If you are not enjoying it - why do you want to do it? Why not do something you do enjoy or cut down the working hours and get a bit of balance?
gritstoneclimber 28 Jan 2011
In reply to Quarryboy:
I have a problem with motivation at school because all I ever want to do is go climbing.

I also have a problem with motivation at school as I have to teach little shits and would rather be climbing too.
 staceyjg 28 Jan 2011

Book a trip to Font at Easter, then motivate yourself to train hard before you go, it's working for me! :-D
 Evilllamas 28 Jan 2011
watch some climbing movies...
they always get me motivated!
OP bouldery bits 28 Jan 2011
In reply to staceyjg:

That's a really good idea.

Might do some planning.
beinn_eighe 28 Jan 2011
In reply to gritstoneclimber:

haha, excellent!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...