UKC

Shaving and the environment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Baynes 05 Feb 2011
I have always tried to use razor blades and an old-fashioned blade holder to wet shave, not liking throwing away a chunk of plastic. However I wonder if using a piece of steel and then throwing that away is actually worse? Soap and a meerkat-hair brush are obviously greener than a can of squirty stuff - I assume? I have left electrical shaving devices out of this because they don't work very well. I would value the opinions of the shavers of UKC.
In reply to Richard Baynes: PS I'm bored at work on a Saturday night.
thegreatape 05 Feb 2011
In reply to Richard Baynes: Well I suppose if you used disposable or Mach 3 type razors you would be throwing away a load of plastic as well as some steel, rather than just some steel as you are now. Perhaps you could dispose of them into a steel container then once a year take it to the appropriate skip at the dump. More than most would do I'm sure but if the lack of recycling bothers you?
 Paddy Duncan 05 Feb 2011
In reply to Richard Baynes:
I'm not sure whether less steel + some plastic is more or less greener, but how about a decent cut-throat?
 Enty 05 Feb 2011

If you're worried about chucking away 0.3 grams of steel or 1.5 grams of plastic after 4 or 5 shaves I suggest you google "Chittagong ship breakers"

E
 Dauphin 05 Feb 2011

I shave about twice a month. A single Mach 78 or whatever lasts a year if I'm 'careful'. Rugged, I'm not at the age when finely teased and coffered facial topiary a la Dali is yet acceptable. Badger hair brush and the same tub of something from the body shop has been on the go for a couple of years. It is also interspearsed with now infrequent visits to the barber for a shave - helps if you have a local population of turks. If your worried about the environment I recommend burning them off with a candle, apparently this was the Roman method.

Regards

D
 thin bob 05 Feb 2011
i don't think there's any reason why you can't break the head off and put it in with ordinary tins, is there? recycling the steel minces it up & melts it,; a bit of plastic would just burn off.

maybe a rolls razor? [might post some links later]. trickier than disposables, but not much.
the hot water for shaving can add up, especially if you leave the tap running!
In reply to Enty: "Worried" would probably be an exaggeration. I look inside my own brain and see this vaguye green concern, and am mildly amused. That just about sums it up. Saw those Chittagong guys on telly, impressive.
I'd use a cut-throat but then my kids would come to stay and it would soon be like Sauchiehall Street Saturday night circa 1955. If that indeed was the heyday of the razor gangs. It may have been earlier.
In reply to thin bob: Ah. the hot water. Anoter tricky problem for those of us who strive to be green. I always need two lots, one to rinse the razor as I go and then another to wash the stuiff off my face. Is this green?
 birdie num num 05 Feb 2011
To be properly green, you need to be like Mrs. Num Num and grow yourself a nice big beard.
 tim000 05 Feb 2011
In reply to Richard Baynes: veet
 Fluvial 05 Feb 2011
razor soap and a horse tail brush do it for me. I shave in the shower and therefore the hot water is saved, plus I can use the excess soap to clean the shower screen and therefore save on the chemical rubbish you buy..
 thin bob 05 Feb 2011
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to Richard Baynes) veet

I'll open a window then ;-(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...