UKC

htc Desire GPS app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mountain Llama 06 Feb 2011
Was looking 4 feedback on basic gps app 4 grid ref only. Plus advice on map software for desire.

Thanks in advance Dave
 GarethSL 06 Feb 2011
In reply to Mountain Llama:

There is a free OS map app download and one you can buy. It worked fantastically with the gps but not so well from mobile phone signal. Would give you a 1:50,000 scale OS map and then a google style map at about 1:25,000 and smaller.

I thought it was a very good app but it didn't cache the maps as it downloaded them. So every time you turn it on it needs to be able to connect to the internet to download each portion of the map.

Which can be a bit of an issue when you're in the middle of nowhere.

The pure grid reference apps like the compass and grid ref ones are ok, I never really tried it so cant comment on the accuracy but the compass was crap.

Also they suck power like a sponge!
 mikemartin 06 Feb 2011

If you want a good digital compass then saildroid is the one to go for.

For a GPS map then you can't beat Maverick, lets you select a shed load of different map types including os explorer and landranger, it does drain the battery though. It can also give you an OS grid ref which seems to be pretty accurate.
WhenImReady 06 Feb 2011

I have Viewranger software on my Desire, and 1:25000 maps of areas I'm interested in. Not free, but absolutely sensational; much better than anything else I tried. Does cane the battery, but if you turn off 3G, bluetooth etc and have a battery charge gizmo will do a day.

There is a free trial on Android Market - give it a go.
 cornishben 06 Feb 2011
In reply to WhenImReady: How much is each 1:25k map for it?

Slight aside - any recommendations for a protective Desire cover? There seem to be a lot of flexi rear/side covers but surely the screen is the delicate bit? want to be able to chuck it in a rucsac without worrying..
 Nick_Scots 06 Feb 2011
I use, on my HTC Wildfire -

OS Lite - free mapping, 1;50, 1;25
Cgeo - free GPS and geocaching

Both need a phone signal unless you setup a cache to download first. Then when out of phone range you still have the map.

Nick
 Nick_Scots 06 Feb 2011
In reply to cornishben: I bought a small clip-n-lock food container, drilled out a few holes in the lid 1mm dia, to avoid condensation build up. That way the phone is unlikely to get crushed.

Nick
 TobyA 06 Feb 2011
In reply to cornishben:

> Slight aside - any recommendations for a protective Desire cover? There seem to be a lot of flexi rear/side covers but surely the screen is the delicate bit? want to be able to chuck it in a rucsac without worrying..

I've got some slim cover that does the back and sides, and screen protector, then if its not in a pocket, just wrap it up in some smallish plastic bag.

And another aside - I only got my Desire recently and think the battery is rubbish. Particularly out ice climbing today it seemed to go very quickly in the cold (although it was in the chest pocket of my soft shell). Anyone with tips or suggestions? I have bought a spare battery, but I'm surprised how quick it runs down in the phone, despite not using it much at all.

mary 06 Feb 2011
In reply to TobyA:
My lad had windows on his, he changed it (to what I am not sure ) and now the battery lasts much longer, I do not know much about it but if you more info mail me.
M
 realchard 06 Feb 2011
In reply to TobyA:

i got one of these cases. http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/15798340/Case-Mate-HTC-Desire-Tough-C...

works a treat.

as for the battery power you have to turn off the animated screen. that saves battery power.
 mattrm 06 Feb 2011
In reply to TobyA:

That's pretty common. I find that the batter on my Hero lasts for about 16 hours with normal usage. Which for all intents and purposes means that I have to charge it every evening.
 TobyA 06 Feb 2011
In reply to realchard: I looked at that one, but it seemed pricey. Might consider it for the future though. I've turned of the animated screen, wifi, sync, gps, bluetooth etc. when I'm outside, but it still went down quickly today - and it wasn't even that cold...

ho hum. Perhaps it will be a better rock climber's phone than ice climber's!
 realchard 06 Feb 2011
In reply to TobyA:

it is pricey but it works very well. i work on a building site so its taken some falls and been fine.

all tho the battery life is rubbish its a great phone. also has a great camera.

John1923 06 Feb 2011

Alpine quest will give a GPS position or OS grid ref, and save maps for offline use
WhenImReady 07 Feb 2011
In reply to cornishben:

Check out Viewranger online shop for map prices.

Desire covers: I have two; one a very small drybag with window if its in my pocket - touch screen still works.
The other is a peli 1015 (clear with liner) if its in my sack; can still be hear ringing, and can answer calls by opening it up, without removing the phone. This is a great fit for the desire and absolutely bomb proof; where the phone is is not my first thought when sitting on/putting down my rucsac!
 Leo Woodfelder 07 Feb 2011
In reply to TobyA: Try turning the brightness of the screen down. should lengthen the battery life a bit more.

iksander 07 Feb 2011
In reply to Mountain Llama: Try MM Tracker and get some err "3rd party" .qct maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...