UKC

Tight calves after running...what to do??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peas65 09 Feb 2011
I am trying to get into running a bit more, i find though that after i have been running- whether it is a long or short run, my calves tighten up to the point where it is uncomfortable. I have tried stretching, walking around for a while, a hot bath but nothing seems to work.

Is there anything i can do to help as its very painful the next day?
I am pretty fit and do a lot of walking, scrambling etc but did have problems with 'short muscles' in the legs when i was younger. Will this be having an impact now?

Thanks
 tony 09 Feb 2011
In reply to peas65:

Compression socks. I've had similar problems, but since wearing compression socks after my runs, I've had very few calf problems. I still haven't tried running with them, but I'm assured that this has benefits as well.
 IainMunro 09 Feb 2011
In reply to peas65:

> Is there anything i can do to help as its very painful the next day?

I get very tight calves after and sometimes when I'm running, I've found that stretching before, then 1 minute into a run and then stretching again after helps. I've also noticed that rehydrating properly seems to lessen the problem. If it's really bad the following day and I'm wanting to get out running again in the imminent future (the same day or day after) then a couple of Ibuprofen helps. Be careful though of masking pain which could be from an injury. If I'm in no rush to get back out then I'm happy to hobble for a day or so as it reminds me that I've done some exercise and can justify the extra helping at dinner/chocolate biscuit/scone/beer etc!

Iain
macstinator 09 Feb 2011
In reply to peas65:

Go and see a physio. Sounds like you have crap ankles. You need to do ankle strength, stability and flexibility work.
 StefanB 09 Feb 2011
In reply to peas65:

Have your technique looked at. Maybe you are hitting the ground harder than necessary for some reason or have picked up some other posture o stride related habit.

Apart from that, if you are fairly new to running, but are fit in general, maybe you are running too fast for now, i.e. your fitness level allows you to go faster than your muscles and tendons are prepared for in this new impact activity.
OP peas65 09 Feb 2011
In reply to StefanB:

Thanks for the replies, some interesting points and i will look into compression socks.

I have a knee problem that i have seen a physio about so maybe it is related and i am over compensating by running in an unusual way. I would agree also that i have a habit of running faster than i should and do try and slow myself down.

Thanks guys x
 Andy Nisbet 09 Feb 2011
In reply to peas65:

I would do serious calf muscle stretching for 2 or 3 weeks (or whatever) before you do any more running. Lots of walking does make your calf muscles very stiff and they need stretching or you'll injure yourself. I wish I'd known that when I was 20. Note that I'm only going on my experience and you might be different, but a suggestion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...