UKC

NEW ARTICLE: INTERVIEW: Steve McClure - My 2010

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 10 Feb 2011
Steve McClure, 3 kbSteve McClure is not your average climber. He's an athlete, a man who trains his body hard and pushes himself physically as far as he can go.

In 2010 Steve's name has popped up in the UKC news with several amazing ascents of course, but I got the impression that he felt the year hadn't gone 100% his way. I got in touch with Steve and we discussed his climbing and his focus over the past year.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3449

James Oswald 10 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:
Awesome.
What is the route in the first picture?
Great article, thanks to those involved.
James
 Mick Ward 10 Feb 2011

Is he running up London Wall (the wrong way round) with his boots not even laced up? Grr...

Mick
 john arran 10 Feb 2011
In reply to Mick Ward:

Looks like Regent Street to me, but yes his shoes aren't laced up and they're only trainers anyway!
 lex 10 Feb 2011

Not really, I gave up being gutted a while back.I gave it everything and went home happy. Climbing is not just about getting to the top!

Class answer and attitude.

Lex

Nice article, but can we please please please stop talking about 'getting' the first ascent or second ascent. It's sooooooo unattractive. 'Making' is a far nicer expression.

jcm
 Mick Ward 10 Feb 2011
In reply to john arran:

You're right, it does look more like Regent Street. (I've been away too long!) But trainers? I guess he just needed something handy for the walk down...

Mick
 royal 10 Feb 2011
The enforced time off has helped us London bound out! The routes Steve has recently put up at the Castle are some of the best I've climbed indoors.
 UnkArl 10 Feb 2011
they're not trainers, they're FiveTen Anasazi lace-ups (with the laces not 'up')
 Alun 10 Feb 2011
In reply to lex:
"Not really, I gave up being gutted a while back. I gave it everything and went home happy. Climbing is not just about getting to the top!"

I think think that this sentence is a perfect encapsulation of why Steve is so universally well-respected and admired. What a great role-model.
 full stottie 20 Mar 2011

This is what interviews should be like, and so rarely are. An interviewer who does not ask leading questions, or phrases them to get in a bit about themselves, or tries to show how much they know and are in the know, but lets the interviewee be the star of the piece. Good job Jack - Parky, Jonathan Ross, Paxman, Dimbleby - read and learn!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...