UKC

The Climbing Academy - Glasgow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 13 Feb 2011
Yet again I ask this question - is there any updated news on the above development? Blog says nothing new.... why do I have a sense of things going pear-shaped.

Come on guys, I need some good news and something to look forward to.
 JLS 13 Feb 2011
In reply to Fraser:

Since the development of Blantyre Towers the Bristol team have realised that another training venue in the Glasgow area would not be financially viable.
 Pids 13 Feb 2011
In reply to JLS:

what't the dry tooling potential of the Blantyre Towers like ?
 mark mcgowan01 13 Feb 2011
In reply to Pids:
> (In reply to JLS)
>
> what't the dry tooling potential of the Blantyre Towers like ?

unthinkable! They are the crucible of Scottish rock climbing...

Mark
OP Fraser 13 Feb 2011
In reply to Pids:
> (In reply to JLS)
>
> what't the dry tooling potential of the Blantyre Towers like ?

None - the guardians would fast approach with their own tools if you tried it!
 JLS 13 Feb 2011
In reply to Pids:

I hope you are joking Martin! Willie Arrol would be spinning in his grave if he new someone was tooling on his routes. Finniston wall has be trashed by toolers - the small crimps have been broken off and the mortar joints cleaned out providing too many jugs. I hate to think all that money had been spent on routes for rock climbers only for tools to come along and waste them. Plenty other places toolers could spend there own money on.
OP Fraser 14 Feb 2011
So to bump my original question - is there any news on the Glasgow Climbing Academy?
billy no-mates 14 Feb 2011
In reply to Fraser:

Scottish planning laws are different to english ones apparently, which the climbing academy found out a wee bit late. Why the interest? Are you a dedicated boulderer looking for a decent coffee?
In reply to Fraser: Nothing going pear-shaped,everything moving as fast as Building Control and the landlords contractors will allow. The landlord has now let most of the building (there will be a gym, an indoor golf centre and a massive soft play with others to follow)so his works will start in the very near future. The biggest issue has been sorting out fire escapes from our unit whilst keeping our occupancy levels right - we're hopeful that our latest proposals are going to be agreed by building control this week. As part of the building control issues the landlord has to install a lift up to our floor which is quite a big job. There's no point in us building until we know the finish date for that job as we could end up with a great wall that can't be open to the public. It's been pretty frustrating getting all this sorted but it will be worth it in the end. We don't really want to put a date on when we'll get open as it's not fully in our control yet but as soon as it is, we'll give you a date.
Rich
 peterp 14 Feb 2011
In reply to The Climbing Academy: Fair play, sounds like progress is being made...
OP Fraser 14 Feb 2011
In reply to The Climbing Academy:

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the update and the situation you find yourself in. Just slightly frustrated at not being able to get to a decent local bouldering venue and not being able to get info from your website/blog. (I've got to say though, I'm surprised your designers weren't aware of the escape/access requirements from the outset, but that's another discussion.)

In reply to billy no-mates:

Not dedicated, just keen to have some space in which to boulder on decent walls. Had to get a refund from GCC last week it was so busy and ended up heading along to X-Scape for the first time ever! A good coffee would be a bonus.

peterp 14 Feb 2011
In reply to Fraser:
One good thing to arise from the apparent 'threat' of the new wall has been GCC's introduction of the 'boulder only' price. I'm sure if all this planning/ building control stuff had come out a lot sooner we wouldn't have been enjoying £5 boulder sessions since last October..!!
In reply to Fraser: Hi Frazer, understand your frustration but it will happen. The info is kept more up to date on our facebook group but we tend not to post unless something has happened or someone has asked. As to the design and escape issues, the building is very complicated and the landlord has taken an organic approach to letting the different spaces which has complicated things a bit further. We're surprised at how long things have taken but that surprise doesn't seem to be shared by the various consultants who're involved up there - getting things through building control seems to be a bit of a slog for everyone.

Still, good bouldering and fine coffee is just round the corner.
Rich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...