UKC

THE LOWDOWN: VIDEO: Enzo Oddo makes 4th ascent of Ambrosia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alex Honnold on the 2nd ascent of Ambrosia, 3 kbEnzo Oddo has made the 4th ascent of kevin Jorgeson's Ambrosia on the Grandpa peabody at the Buttermilks near Bishop, California. Since Kevin's first ascent, both Alex Honnold and Isaac Caldiero have refined the method of climbing this ~14m monster of a highball. This has made the grade come down...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60438
 Alex Thompson 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:
Video of the ascent online at http://www.youtube.com/user/PranaCollective#p/u/12/-j53HLSTv_o
 Jonny2vests 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Alex Thompson:

I love that photo and the seeming futility of a spot.
 Fraser 17 Feb 2011

Very impressive.....but bordering on child abuse!
 Mick Ward 17 Feb 2011

Bloody hell - he's a long way up!

Mick
 Michael Ryan 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Mick Ward:

Most impressive ascent I've heard of for a while plus he is so young and French!

Once on that upper wall the potential Is death or worse.

Mick in Maine , USA
gritstoner 17 Feb 2011

I interpret the lack of forum responses as a sign of shock and awe. Because this is effing unbelievable. His website has some stunning pix as well, never heard of the lad before.

Jonny2vests 17 Feb 2011
In reply to gritstoner:
> (In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC)
>
> I interpret the lack of forum responses as a sign of shock and awe.

Shocked and awed.
 Paul Crusher R 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: What kind of brit E grade would that be 8/9? Looks like a hard move at half height then steady to the top. Impressive stuff.
mattmurphy 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Paul R:

E10 7a/7b????
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Paul R:
> (In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC) What kind of brit E grade would that be 8/9? Looks like a hard move at half height then steady to the top. Impressive stuff.

Looked a bit snatchy just below the top too.

Chris
 JH74 17 Feb 2011

Fook! There's highball and then there's highball and that' is definitely highball!
 hamer89 17 Feb 2011
Amazing send by the French machine! This is not a highball though, its a full on route. A boulder grade for this is just silly. This is higher than most grit routes!
 Enty 17 Feb 2011
In reply to hamerboy:

Agree.

E
 Michael Gordon 17 Feb 2011

Forgive my ignorance but have the ascents been pre-practiced or ground-up?
 remus Global Crag Moderator 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Michael Gordon: Hed top roped the upper section and bouldered out the bottom section.
 James Oswald 17 Feb 2011
Has anyone fallen from that kind of height onto a BIG pile of mats?
How dangerous is it to do that?
James
 Alejandro S 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Paul R: Would have to get E10 for sure, maybe higher? Dunno if he had a bouncy castle beneath the landing.
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Didn't George Ullrich climb the upper part of this usng a ladder to skip out the desperate bottom after he pulled a hold off, before Jorgeson did it? I think the footage is in Call It What You Want...

Or am I thinking of summat else?

Dunc
 Conor1 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to Mick Ward)

> 'Once on that upper wall the potential Is death or worse.'

Worse than death? Dear lord, that would be a bad fall..

banned profile 74 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Conor1:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> Worse than death? Dear lord, that would be a bad fall..

most people think paralysis is worse than death

Lurkio 17 Feb 2011
In reply to jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Alex Thompson)
>
> I love that photo and the seeming futility of a spot.

He's not spotting, he's getting ready to wave goodbye.

Will Sim 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Lurkio: Not impressed by bouldering clips usually. In fact i find them mind-numbingly borring. But that is something else, incredible climber. Such poise.
Will
 Michael Gordon 17 Feb 2011
In reply to remus:
> (In reply to Michael Gordon) Hed top roped the upper section and bouldered out the bottom section.

Thanks. Pretty good style I'd say, though does seem a bit pointless to call it a highball if a rope has had to be employed previously - more like a headpoint. 'Highball' I think should really denote that the climb has been done ground-up (which bouldering should be).

Haydn Jones 17 Feb 2011
In reply to beastofackworth:
I was going to reply to Mick Ryan's post about that but you beat me to it, complete paralysis in my opinion is defiantly worse.... however losing say just the legs, although it would put a downer on your day.... I think I would still prefer it to death....
 Michael Ryan 17 Feb 2011
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Call it what you will . It's not bouldering, it's route with no gear done headpoint style, like a hard grit route. V11/font 8a to get off the deck then hard to the top.

Yes George U was the first to do the top, using a ladder or something to avoid the hard initial moves... Hold broke/midsummer/ran out iof time
 Wee Davie 18 Feb 2011

Impressive bit of climbing. Would have been nice to have somebody without the DTs filming though.
 Fraser 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Wee Davie:
>
> Would have been nice to have somebody without the DTs filming though.

lol - I did think that too. The guy on the boulder behind at least had a tripod. Maybe we'll see that footage some time.

racodemisa 18 Feb 2011
In reply to gritstoner:
>
> I interpret the lack of forum responses as a sign of shock and awe. Because this is effing unbelievable. His website has some stunning pix as well, never heard of the lad before.

Born and brought up in Nice his dad is a strong very keen sport climber.From the interview the lad gave in Grimper mag it appears his
first7c(@11 yrs old) quickly led to (3 years later) 9a! Amazing.....
In reply to Fraser:
>
> Very impressive.....but bordering on child abuse!

It's child abuse.
 krank 18 Feb 2011
In reply to ncianca:
no it isnt
In reply to krank:
> (In reply to ncianca)
> no it isnt

Of course, technically it (probably) isn't. Still, I wouldn't encourage my son/daughter or any other 16 year old kid/girl doing anything that carries such high level of serious injury or death. I wouldn't encourage it, but of course I couldn't stop him/her. Just my opinion. Impressive feat nonetheless.
 Quarryboy 18 Feb 2011

In climb mag, I think Kevin compared it to E9
 McBirdy 21 Feb 2011
In reply to ncianca:

Sorry. Can't agree with the suggestion that he doesn't have free will at this age. He's 16 years old. He can get married, have children (although can't drink or vote!).
In reply to Ben Darvill:
> (In reply to ncianca)
>
> Sorry. Can't agree with the suggestion that he doesn't have free will at this age. He's 16 years old. He can get married, have children (although can't drink or vote!).

I didn't suggest that. I just said I wouldn't encourage it. Of course he has free will. At any age one has free will.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...