UKC

The World's worst music genre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 18 Feb 2011
I'd like to say it was something French.

After all with the exception of Alan Stivel nothing remotely pleasant has emerged from that country in the last 50 years: youtube.com/watch?v=PITnJAnmjqw&

However as was the case with traditional African music which Black Americans took to their heart and transformed into the Blues, the French Americans took French folk music and removed from it all vestiges of harmony, timing and melody to produce cajun: youtube.com/watch?v=C0bHcVFEbAQ&

Yes, it took the Americans to transform something pretty appalling into the truly dreadful. I can only think that this is the aural manifestation of the bitterness that French descendants feel towards the Anglo Saxon invaders who took the Southern United states from them. The only reason the musicians are smiling is because they know it's total crap but English speaking idiots are still paying good money to come and listen to it.

No, French music and it's cacophonous descendent are truly awful but years of searching for new styles of music have left me firmly convinced that in the sewage works of organised noise there can be only one winner, a style that is so truly dreadful in ways so subtle and cruel that we in the West can only cover our ears and wonder who the phuq thought that up, I give you Gamelan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8hf5vXq6Zc&playnext=1&list=PLEDB462...

Beat that.

All challenges should be supported by links to phonographic evidence.
 Ztephan 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Removed User:

I quite liked both your examples actually, sorry.
The worst genre must be pompous "stadium rock" ala this crap, I actually get really upset if it comes on the radio, and will change station, which I very rarely do.
Maybe it's just the c*nt of a singer that does it for me, but never liked their music.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDQJnI4OhU&
 Ztephan 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Ztephan:

And Vampire Weekends cover of the Plastic Bertrand song which I found on the related videos, was actually really cool I thought

youtube.com/watch?v=w-zDCBNpMnY&
 Enty 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Ztephan:

I hear where you're coming from regarding staium shyte but I've got mixed feelings regarding MJB.

Listen to her here - is there any better sound on earth than a black soul diva singing her heart out?
youtube.com/watch?v=1XmwiwQjU8E&

Back to the OP - the worst genre is Trance, shit like this makes your ears bleed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZgzqMxQfXk&feature=related

But then you've got french rap, oh my f*cking god:
youtube.com/watch?v=AzJDeDdVGIM&

E

Enty 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Ztephan:
> (In reply to Ztephan)
>
> And Vampire Weekends cover of the Plastic Bertrand song which I found on the related videos, was actually really cool I thought
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=w-zDCBNpMnY&

They should be shot for that - listen to the original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VE45LlwTvc&feature=related

E

Mr Fuller 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Removed User: Gabba.
 Tom Last 18 Feb 2011

Happy Hardcore or Reggaeton would get my vote.
 Queenie 18 Feb 2011

Gangsta Rap sucks bigtime.
 The Lemming 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Enty:

I was going to say Rap music myself, however I think that you nailed it with an even worse style of a Frenchman getting down in the hood.

Innit
 The Pylon King 18 Feb 2011

Country and Western hands down

No phonographic evidence is needed.
 Ztephan 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Enty:

I think this is the original?

youtube.com/watch?v=2KAXvTvO0TI&

MJB is probably good if you're into vocal masturbation, but doesn't do it for me, sorry.

And french rap is awesome, your example is better than most rap songs on radio IMO.

I challenge you to watch this video without getting goosebumps, with good headphones or speakers with a reasonable fidelity.
Be sure to stay for the drop.
youtube.com/watch?v=wA5_mspsqbc&
 Toby S 18 Feb 2011
> I'd like to say it was something French.
>
> After all with the exception of Alan Stivel nothing remotely pleasant has emerged from that country in the last 50 years: youtube.com/watch?v=PITnJAnmjqw&

> All challenges should be supported by links to phonographic evidence.

Extremely talented and French too:

Emilie Simon - youtube.com/watch?v=W3RUJ22Ca2k& youtube.com/watch?v=N2odfjNMZVQ&
youtube.com/watch?v=V0nnqvZitM0&
 gd303uk 18 Feb 2011
french rap is awesome,
>
> I challenge you to watch this video without getting goosebumps, with good headphones or speakers with a reasonable fidelity.
> Be sure to stay for the drop.
> youtube.com/watch?v=wA5_mspsqbc&

Excellent,
politically aware, socially conscious music.
Thanks for posting

Dominion 18 Feb 2011

> After all with the exception of Alan Stivel nothing remotely pleasant has emerged from that country in the last 50 years: youtube.com/watch?v=PITnJAnmjqw&

That's the famously Belgian "Plastic Bertrand", isn't it?

(French Father, and Mother Ukrainian - but born in Brussels, and Belgian by up-bringing, and education)

a crap climber 18 Feb 2011
There is a genre of music I believe is know as "Donk", popular at Wigan pier. I was subjected to this for 7 months while I was in Afghanistan. A few guys in my platoon loved it and had louder speakers than me. It was possibly worse than when we were being shot at.
Removed User 18 Feb 2011
 Dominion 18 Feb 2011

As for the worst genre, it has to be Karaoke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaoke

form of interactive entertainment or video game in which amateur singers sing along with recorded music (and/or a music video) using a microphone and public address system. The music is typically a well-known pop song minus the lead vocal. Lyrics are usually displayed on a video screen, along with a moving symbol or changing color and/or music video images, to guide the singer.

This style of music has been slightly modified, and made into an even more obnoxious format, where the "singers" actually learn the words, rather than just read them off screen, and the format has been turned into a hit TV phenomenon

youtube.com/watch?v=jEca0ZnzOKw&

Although it's entirely possible that's not as bad as I think it is, as I am unable to listen to it for more than about the first 30 seconds...
 Enty 18 Feb 2011
In reply to a crap climber:

OMG yes Donk - youtube.com/watch?v=mo5XDnULVso&

Did they play any Scouse House, then you'd prefer to be shot:
youtube.com/watch?v=623K390SwlQ&

E
 Enty 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to Eric9Points)
>
> [...]
>
> That's the famously Belgian "Plastic Bertrand", isn't it?
>
> (French Father, and Mother Ukrainian - but born in Brussels, and Belgian by up-bringing, and education)

Nicely Googled Dom!

E

Removed User 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Removed User: In a word, RAP.
 subalpine 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Removed User: quite a few to choose from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_styles

i reckon they all have the potential for making good and bad music, even
the new R&B/dancehall scene
 Enty 18 Feb 2011
In reply to The Lemming:

You have to be careful with rap - it covers too many genres so I was unfair singling out French Rap. This is good - very good:

youtube.com/watch?v=fXvPayu-X5A&

E
 David Hooper 18 Feb 2011

No such thing as a good or bad genre - just good or bad tunes.

But - if I had to choose a genre them maybe Oi
 Enty 18 Feb 2011
In reply to David Hooper:

I like Oi - when I was 14?

E
 David Hooper 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Enty: Didnt like the politics or Gary Bushell - had a soft spot for the Cockney Rejects tho I spose.

youtube.com/watch?v=lxEY4gMEujQ&
banned profile 74 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Removed User: dance music with no singing-absolute tosh!
 Enty 18 Feb 2011

Stinky Turner!!!! West Ham through and through!!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=viAkEwBhANI&

E
 David Hooper 18 Feb 2011

and for those that dont like rap - how can you generalise about spoken word? - a few disparate examples:

youtube.com/watch?v=QQrF4Jtb95I& (Spearhead)

youtube.com/watch?v=IC6m8M3Iw_k& (Jay Z)

youtube.com/watch?v=56ipWM3DWe4& (Gil Scott Heron)

youtube.com/watch?v=JgLcv1mQZBg& (William Burroughs)
 Jock 18 Feb 2011
Aaahh William Burroughs here accompanied by the Disposable Heroes of Hiphopracy, if I remember rightly. Yup not all rap is crap - but gangsta is reliably without much merit
 Dominion 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Enty:

> Nicely Googled Dom!

wikipedia, actually

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Bertrand
 David Hooper 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Jock:

Nah blud - y'all gotta be feelin' my flow yo

youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY&

youtube.com/watch?v=uWbXQQG9B6c&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWJqt0u_TCs&feature=related

this is the first ever gangsta rap - just listen to the power of those beats

youtube.com/watch?v=fQc4A-XBzBY&
 Enty 18 Feb 2011
>
> this is the first ever gangsta rap - just listen to the power of those beats
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=fQc4A-XBzBY&

Amazing!!

E

David Hooper 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Jock: PS Prob catch u tomorrow dawg
 David Hooper 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Enty:
Good innit - this tune samples the beats about half way through

youtube.com/watch?v=CHXPnWIzGjc&
 stoo2k 18 Feb 2011
I'm surprised the thread's got this far and no one's said Dubstep! It seems to be pretty cool to hate that right now doesn't it?!

I'd have to say generic chart dance music would be my most loathed genre simply because it's just so uninspiring!
 David Hooper 18 Feb 2011

Just another one for the gangsta rap naysayers :

youtube.com/watch?v=OsT8FaZnzdE&
 MJ 19 Feb 2011

Surely the worst music genre is the type pedalled by Simon Cowell and his equivalents around the world?

anansie 19 Feb 2011
>
> Just another one for the gangsta rap naysayers :
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=OsT8FaZnzdE&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPkWYTUiPTo&feature=channel A classic!
 CorR 19 Feb 2011
In reply to MJ:
Without a doubt. Stupid, wobbly, wheezy voiced muppets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKKJb06Elo4&feature=fvsr
<Barf>

Wax Tailor is good
youtube.com/watch?v=6dxEUgU93bI&

2008/9 was a horrible year for mainstream gangsta rap and music in general imo.

Profanisaurus Rex 19 Feb 2011

No, no, no!

Everything posted on here has at least *some* redeeming features. THE worst genre in the world is:

youtube.com/watch?v=aLRKdB7orn0&

And there's a whole album of it out there. Sold 300,000 copies, apparently...
 Andy Moles 19 Feb 2011
In reply to stoo2k:

Dubstep has suffered an inevitable process of de-coolification, from being cutting-edge cool a few years ago to being integrated with radio-friendly hooks and becoming the music of the moment on Radio 1 (the death knell of Cool), but it's clearly not the world's worst music genre.

I think people are too fixated on genre, because there are good and bad examples of most styles of music, and anything innovative is by defintion not generic, but whatever you want to call the auto-tuned shite that dominates the charts these days is as bad as anything.
 anansie 19 Feb 2011
In reply to Profanisaurus Rex:
>
> No, no, no!
>
> Everything posted on here has at least *some* redeeming features. THE worst genre in the world is:
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=aLRKdB7orn0&
>
> And there's a whole album of it out there. Sold 300,000 copies, apparently...

I clicked on that. There's never a right time of any given day for that :oP

Dave Garnett 19 Feb 2011
In reply to Dominion:
>
> [...]
>
> That's the famously Belgian "Plastic Bertrand", isn't it?
>

... and it turns out it isn't him singing it anyway. I think one of the studio engineers did it better and that's the version that was released. In fact, didn't it recently emerge that he sang on few if any of his releases (not that I have any idea what any of the other were)?
 Blue Straggler 19 Feb 2011

I quite like a bit of Gamelan music (also Anklung). I am half Indonesian but I wasn't raised on this stuff. It's not unpleasant or confusing, quite accessible and relaxing I think! I wouldn't want to listen to more than about 20 minutes of it for voluntary pleasure, but it's OK.

I agree about Cajun though. I bought an album of authentic old late 1920s- early 1930s Louisiana Cajun music and it was pretty much unlistenable! The bowdlerised Cajun that became popular in the 1980s partly due to Ry Cooder's fame, was quite nice but very far removed from the old stuff.

How about some novelty late 1920s Polish trad/jazz mash-up with someone who may have been one of Bjork's overseas ancestors on vocals?
http://blue-straggler.net/miTunes/Charlie%20in%20the%20Box.mp3
In reply to Dave Garnett:

You are right, and you have reminded me of the "genre" known as Milli Vanilli
 Al Evans 19 Feb 2011
In reply to Dave Garnett: Rap is just a really bad version of what John Cooper Clark did really well, only with a really crap musical accompaniment tacked on too.
In reply to Al Evans:

Rap pre-dates John Cooper Clark

Is Sting a musical genre?
 Al Evans 19 Feb 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Rap pre-dates John Cooper Clark

Are you sure? At least are you sure as a popular genre? JCC was late 70's, I had never heard of Rap in those days.
In reply to Al Evans:

Not as a popular genre that was distilled into 4 minute pop songs that got played on commercial radio and got in the charts, no. But it was all over the South Bronx throughout the early 1970s, and had arguably started within Jamaica dance hall genre. But then can you really say that about John Cooper Clarke? A few Peel Sessions and supporting punk bands on the northwest scene is hardly a "popular genre". And Clarke was hardly the first to do what he was doing. Consider the Beatniks, and a bit later, Patti Smith did her share of punk poetry readings, some years before you'd heard of JCC.
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> Are you sure? At least are you sure as a popular genre? JCC was late 70's, I had never heard of Rap in those days.

1979, big hit single
http://bit.ly/b6Keua

youtube.com/watch?v=NwaW4cZNwRk&

Where was John Cooper Clarke then? Languishing on late night radio, getting on Peel's Festive Fifty and hanging about with snotbag skinny punks. :-P
 Al Evans 19 Feb 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler: OK. maybe the Manchester scene was insular, but whatever, Rap is still the crappest rock music genre of the past 50 years.
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) OK. maybe the Manchester scene was insular, but whatever, Rap is still the crappest rock music genre of the past 50 years.

I bet you like Rapture by Blondie though
 DougG 19 Feb 2011

Well said.

Elsa Lunghini gets played a lot in our house.
youtube.com/watch?v=k_3OVHXWOJg&
 Doug 19 Feb 2011
In reply to DougG: well said (again) mix of French, Scottish, Engish & other played here, such as
youtube.com/watch?v=818l1j1lEUI&
 butterworthtom 19 Feb 2011
I saw venetian snares at Glade and I thought my ears were going to bleed:
youtube.com/watch?v=A1jFcXsVhaM&
 Andy Moles 19 Feb 2011
In reply to butterworthtom:

That's a particularly abrasive example, but some of his stuff is awesome! For horrible noise, Kevin Drumm's Sheer Hellish Miasma has to be up there: youtube.com/watch?v=ba1oxuIIY1I&
 Andy Moles 19 Feb 2011
In reply to andy moles:

This isn't easy listening either youtube.com/watch?v=n2O8bMlEijg&
 Lankyman 19 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans: don't be quite so quick to condemn, Al. I'd never buy a rap record in a million years but this still makes me smile - Tone Loc (Funky Cold Medina) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OP5EnaaYjQ&feature=fvwrel Perhaps because of the sampled guitar riffs and the fact that he's obviously got a sense of humour?
 Dominion 19 Feb 2011
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> ... and it turns out it isn't him singing it anyway. I think one of the studio engineers did it better and that's the version that was released. In fact, didn't it recently emerge that he sang on few if any of his releases (not that I have any idea what any of the other were)?

Looks like it.

In 1977, Plastic Bertrand started his solo career as the credited artist of the international hit single Ça plane pour moi, though in fact the song had been sung and produced by its composer Lou Deprijck with the engineer Phil delire for RKM/Vogue at Studio Morgan in Brussels. Plastic Bertrand received only 0.5% of the song's royalties. Ca Plane Pour Moi would be further adaptated in English as Jet Boy, Jet Girl by Elton Motello (aka Alan Ward).

There's more on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Bertrand
 teflonpete 20 Feb 2011
In reply to Karl Lunt:
> (In reply to Al Evans) don't be quite so quick to condemn, Al. I'd never buy a rap record in a million years but this still makes me smile - Tone Loc (Funky Cold Medina) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OP5EnaaYjQ&feature=fvwrel Perhaps because of the sampled guitar riffs and the fact that he's obviously got a sense of humour?

I think he used guitar riffs from Van Halen. Certainly that's the origin of the drum doll and guitar sample on Wild thing, originally from Jamie's cryin' by VH.

For me, I wouldn't say any particular genre as a whole was unlistenable but I can't stand that manufactured X factor winner sh1te.
 Choss Weasel 20 Feb 2011
In reply to teflonpete: The most irritating genre must be 'skonk' which is a Glaswegian form of rap done by neds and scallies usually rapping about fighting, drugs, knives etc. It's so annoying!
 Tiberius 20 Feb 2011

In general I'd agree with a previous posted who put forward Country and Western...however, then I was given this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TH5ibABP4U&feature=related

Autotuner has a lot to anwer for
 nz Cragrat 21 Feb 2011

Gospel
Country and Western
 JuneBob 21 Feb 2011
This is the culmination of years of Dutch music evolution:
youtube.com/watch?v=te1w81E8L5A&

Growing up in holland had some good points, but music wasn't one of them. Worst thing is, a number of my best mates really like this sh*te.
 Al Evans 21 Feb 2011
In reply to nz Cragrat:
>
> Gospel
> Country and Western

Nope still has to be Rap, Eartha Franklin and Johhny Cash (plus Bob Dylan)
And many others take those genres out of the ballpark.
 Enty 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

Eartha Franklin? Do you have any Aretha Kitt albums?

E
In reply to Removed User: As it's so completely subjective, we need a bit more to go on than what's "the world's worst". What's worst to you could be the best to me. Define "worst" in this context.
 David Peters 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Removed User: Urban ??? wtf is Urban anyway, as far as I can tell it seems to be a vocal gymnastics class for the female purveyors of this pap, competing with each other to see who can use the most musical notes to utter a single syllable and conversely, for the male singers (and I use the term very loosely) a dull monotone dirge with no redeeming lyrical qualities.

Urban, you can keep your 'steenking' urban.
 Dave Garnett 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler) OK. maybe the Manchester scene was insular, but whatever, Rap is still the crappest rock music genre of the past 50 years.

Al, have you so easily forgotten the horror of disco?
 doz generale 21 Feb 2011

the worst music genre are:

Country and western

Modern R'B
 Al Evans 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Eartha Franklin? Do you have any Aretha Kitt albums?
>
> E

Sorry, Aretha.
 Hat Dude 21 Feb 2011
In reply to doz generale:

I used to hate C & W; especially the "And the bus full of cripples went over the cliff and landed on my poor old dog" variety.

There is some good stuff though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCVgrrhtwvM&feature=related
 graeme jackson 21 Feb 2011

Country and western music is an excellent and diverse genre.

Scottish bagpipe music on the other hand is shite.
 sebbo 21 Feb 2011
Worst genre has to be the "Played in climbing centres" genre.
The only exception to the rule I've found so far (after climbing in over a dozen centres in a half dozen countries) is The Climbing Works in Sheffield.
Yesterday the autotuned chart poop in Nottingham Climbing Centre was particularly stinking.
Tis a strange phenomenon!
 Stefan Kruger 21 Feb 2011

Dubstep. Or am I showing my age here?
 Reach>Talent 21 Feb 2011
Based on responses to this thread I have decided to start a new musical project; can anyone tell me where I can find a French rapper, some Country & Western lyrics, a bagpiper and a collection of drum loops? I'm thinking of putting it in for next years X-factor.
 Andy Moles 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Screw that, if you can make that work it'll be far too good for the X-factor!

Hat Dude 21 Feb 2011

Here's some french C&W (French Canadian really)

youtube.com/watch?v=5L1lWWuWTsU&

Hat Dude 21 Feb 2011

Which is the best french punk band?

answer - The one without the accordian
 doz generale 21 Feb 2011

two more truely bad musical styles:

Spanish pop music
any cross over that involves pan pipes or gregorian chant (enigma)
 Reach>Talent 21 Feb 2011
In reply to doz generale:
I went out for a curry recently and was treated to a looped CD of Pan Pipe covers of classic 80s cheese, it wasn't good!
 mark s 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Removed User: hymns - when you see all those deluded idiots with eyes closed,hands in the air.makes me feel ill
 Hat Dude 21 Feb 2011
In reply to mark s:

That's got nothing to do with the music
 doz generale 21 Feb 2011
In reply to mark s:
> (In reply to Eric9Points) hymns - when you see all those deluded idiots with eyes closed,hands in the air.makes me feel ill

Do you hate any music that has a religious or spiritual theme? How about music that describes human emotion or feelings?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...