UKC

First lead and just my luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 20 Feb 2011
Led up Colonel's Arête at the Dewerstone today. First day leading and I got the fear on the 3rd pitch but got it together and did the whole route leading.
Very very chuffed with myself bar the dropping a brand new nut and quickdraw down a crack that we couldn't reach!
The feeling of achievement made up for the loss but my wallet isn't happy.
 Dr Toph 20 Feb 2011
In reply to fire_munki:
Never mind, well done!
Just remember - many people pay out lots more than the cost of a nut and draw just to get drunk on a weekend and forget their dull lives. Think how much more valuable an experience you just had...
 Ropeboy 21 Feb 2011
In reply to fire_munki:

Don't worry about it, I remember leading a tricky routs above the sea and dropping a krab full of wires in to the water! Ho hum, got the tick.

Then there was the time my second got a friend stuck in a route in Cornwall which wouldn't come out, ce la vie.

They were great days out, I don't begrudge the loss of gear one bit.

J
OP fire_munki 21 Feb 2011
In reply to fire_munki:
Don't mind loosing it too much, climb was amazing. The feeling at the top was as good as the first climb outside if not even an better sense of acheivement.
 Iain Peters 21 Feb 2011
In reply to fire_munki:

What you need is a suitable length of wire or even one of those magnets. The voice of experience!
 sebbo 21 Feb 2011
In reply to fire_munki:
Well done, nice when you overcome the wobblies.
If you have a good idea where the gear is then you can head up with a length of fishing line and hook/magnet and try to recover it
In reply to sebbo:

Not my first lead, but on my first lead on my OWN shiney new gear and I managed to drop a hex into a deep crack at Castlenaze.

I'm sure it will sometime in a thousand years work its way down to Dove Holes/Chapel en le Frith and an archeologist of the future will decide it was a weapon or decorative c*ck sheath
 Mick Ward 21 Feb 2011
In reply to fire_munki:

In 10 (20, 30, etc, etc) years, you'll barely remember this bit.

> Don't mind loosing it too much...

You will however remember this bit.

> climb was amazing.

Good effort. Well done!

Mick
 Clarence 21 Feb 2011
In reply to fire_munki:

On my first lead I tore the crap out of a brand new pair of Ron Hills (the bright purple ones as well) and dropped a full bag of chalk on my belayer (it was not securely tied apparently). We all have to make a sacrifice to the gods of the rock from time to time.
 shaggypops 21 Feb 2011
In reply to fire_munki:
if my memory serves me correct, that was an early lead for me too.
i remember falling across from a pinnacle.....it was pinnacle buttress.... not colonels arete to the side of it at the finish, lifting my leg and getting the heel loop of my mythos's stuck in the nutkey hanging off the back of my harness. got a bit scared at the time and a disco leg moment.
ahhhhhhhh the dewerstone....must return again sometime soon.
well done by the way.
 staceyjg 21 Feb 2011
In reply to fire_munki:

Excellent first lead, mine was Muck Gully. Seconded Colonel's Arete and about pooped myself. Very exposed! Well done!
OP fire_munki 21 Feb 2011
In reply to fire_munki:
Just talking about it again has made me grin. Now for lighter evenings to get out after work.
 zhwang 21 Feb 2011
In reply to sebbo:

A nutkey on a leash works well too!
 Tom Last 21 Feb 2011
In reply to fire_munki:

Great route for a first lead, good work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...