UKC

Platypus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 21 Feb 2011
Got down from a day out in the hills to find my platypus had leaked into my sac. All the spare clothing, gloves and first aid kit are soaked - urgh!!!

It's completely empty but no obvious tear or hole. Maybe I got the thread crossed when I attached the drinking tube?

I'm now reluctant to use it again. Anyone else had this experience?
 Tony the Blade 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Trangia:

Yes, where the pipe fits over the nipple. Remove, cut and refit (dip pipe in hot water first). For the first couple of outings I placed it in a carrier bag as well just in case.
 SCC 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Trangia:

How sure are you that there are no leaks?

Blow it up, screw the lid on, immerse it and squeeze. Look for bubbles.

I had three fail, all along minor creaes on the side seams.

I now only use them for camping - I've got a different make of bladder for using in the hills.

HTH

Si
 Monk 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Trangia:

I've found that platypusses sometimes manage to unscrew their own lids, normally when they are older or dirty. It may be that this is the case with yours. On a different point, I nearly always use a rucksack liner of some form (often jus a carrier bag)), and the platypus is always on the outside of it.
 Only a hill 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Trangia:
Camelbaks are much better and more reliable than Platypuses (Platypi?) Most of my friends who own them have had leaks at one stage or another.

Personally I've gone back to using a water bottle.
 owlart 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Trangia: I've had two spring pinhole leaks in creases. They have a lifetime guarantee, so if you contact them about sending it back you'll get a nice shiny new one back!
In reply to Trangia: this is a real shame i had mine for ~10+ it got a small pinhole leak on it not enough to wet too much sent them an email sent it back at a minimal cost got a brand new sent in a few days if you know its got hole do the same would be my advice

i use mine loads and love it
 sargy 21 Feb 2011
Personally, I've tried a few different makes. Source seem to be quite good. However, I've since decided that hydration systems are all a pain-in-the-arse, and now I just use a Nalgene bottle or two.
 Mike-W-99 21 Feb 2011
In reply to Trangia:
Almost certainly a leak, changed to a camelback after multiple failures with platypus models and havent had a problem since.

By the way , I think they have a lifetime warranty so you shold be able to get it replaced for free.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...