UKC

Fiacaill Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheseKnivesMan 21 Feb 2011
Planning to climb Fiacaill Ridge the most direct way this weekend (Weather/conditions permitting). For someone who was only done grades I and II, is this attainable with one walking axe? Or would I be better off just walking up the slope? It looks just like pretty good steps all the way up to me, from photos. Summer grade 1 scramble almost.

Thanks
 IainMunro 21 Feb 2011
In reply to TheseKnivesMan:

One axe is fine, possibly easier and less faff than using two.

Iain
 Ron Walker 21 Feb 2011
In reply to IainMunro:
> (In reply to TheseKnivesMan)
>
> One axe is fine, possibly easier and less faff than using two.
>
> Iain

I agree....
In reply to Ron Walker:

Just watched your video on youtube! Ok thanks guys i'll settle for 1 axe. Very easy escape to the right apparently.
 mattrm 21 Feb 2011
> Planning to climb Fiacaill Ridge the most direct way this weekend (Weather/conditions permitting). For someone who was only done grades I and II, is this attainable with one walking axe? Or would I be better off just walking up the slope? It looks just like pretty good steps all the way up to me, from photos. Summer grade 1 scramble almost.
>
> Thanks

As others have said, one axe would be best and it's incredibly easy to escape from at pretty much any point. It's a great little outing.
 JohnnyW 21 Feb 2011

Another vote for 1 axe. Did it a week ago. Lots of snow.
 DaveHK 21 Feb 2011
In reply to JohnnyW:
> (In reply to TheseKnivesMan)
>
> Another vote for 1 axe. Did it a week ago. Lots of snow.

I'm going to up the ante here and say 3 axes.

You can't be too careful.

Ron Walker 21 Feb 2011
> (In reply to Ron Walker)
>
> Just watched your video on youtube! Ok thanks guys i'll settle for 1 axe. Very easy escape to the right apparently.

Fantastic weather and it's exactly a year to the day for the winter one...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzUbigx7Y1A&feature=fvwrel

Cheers Ron
 CurlyStevo 22 Feb 2011
if you skulk around to the right it will be very easy grade I hardly more than a walk, however up the crest of the ridge depending on build up could be quite a bit harder and require a rope.
 Fiona Reid 22 Feb 2011

We did this as our first roped winter climb. We took 2 technical axes each but only ever used one - the other remaining attached to our packs throughout. Some photos here: http://www.prog99.com/Climbing%20in%20Scotland/2009/Fiacaill%20Ridge%20-%20...

If there's any icy bits on the route you may feel a bit more secure with a technical axe but as others have said all the hard stuff is pretty easy to avoid by going up the snow slope on the right.

We stuck to the crest and pitched several sections - probably more than we needed to in retrospect but it was easier just to keep the rope out than take it on/off etc. If you intend to go up the crest then it's worth taking a rope as there's a few wee awkward steps - they aren't necessarily hard on an individual move basis but you'd not want to fall off.

Also, best to save it for a good day so you can appreciate the whole setting etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...