UKC

THE LOWDOWN: 2nd ascent of The Game, 8C+, by Woods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Daniel Woods on The Game, 8C+, Boulder canyon, 4 kbDaniel Woods has managed to grab the second ascent of The Game, ~8C+, in Boulder Canyon, CO.
"But", you say, "didn't he make the first ascent of this problem exactly one year ago?". That's a perfectly valid question, because that's absolutely correct. Quite impressive none the less I must say,...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60563
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Although, he did make the 2nd ascent of te problem, the tag "2nd ascent of 8c+" should surely go to the 2nd person to climb it. I now propose the following reasons:

1. He knows he can climb it, he is going though the motions.
2. If he makes a hundred ascents, it will not confirm or change the grade
3. Go and climb something new near your limit you nutter, don't risk injury on something you have already done!

However, if it transpires that a hold has broken then fair doos...but didnt a hold already break before he did the 1st ascent?

Dunc
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 23 Feb 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell: I do things i've done before all the time Duncan, it's fun.
 Lord_ash2000 23 Feb 2011
In reply to @ndyM@rsh@ll: As do I. But you'd best not go risk injury climbing at your limit repeating some of those V4's you've done duncan. That would be crazy
 Quarryboy 23 Feb 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

Aint Dave Graham only the coolest most eccentric, friendly climber ever on camera or what.
banned profile 74 23 Feb 2011
In reply to Quarryboy: and the biggest stoner.not holding that against him,he's a right laugh to climb with
 Quarryboy 23 Feb 2011
In reply to beastofackworth:

It doesn't hinder his climbing though.

Anyway at least unlike Chris Sharma he didn't get caught smoking marijuana on the world cup circuit!
banned profile 74 23 Feb 2011
In reply to Quarryboy:
> (In reply to beastofackworth)
>
> It doesn't hinder his climbing though.
>
>
no,it probably helps it hence why its banned in comps
 Quarryboy 23 Feb 2011
In reply to beastofackworth:

Yes but when your climbing 9a+ no one gives a dam about ho much weed you've puffed.
 Alejandro S 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Quarryboy: so many opinions for such a young boy.
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Quarryboy: Well maybe they should, on the one occasion thus far that being stoned and bouldering coincided in my life i climbed like a bloody machine. But trying to think about how you regard this against a non-competitive background could be a bit of a mindf***, who's really getting cheated, arguably no one, or everyone, or who cares like you say...
 koalapie 24 Feb 2011
In reply to @ndyM@rsh@ll: That's quite interesting. In competition it would be banned from a 'nerves-muscles- relaxation' perspective, however, sending 9a+ isn't strictly a competition. But climbing at this level there is probably competition for sponsorship, so if you only ever climbed when stoned and couldn't send anything straight and were sponsored would you be breaking some 'ethical' code? Purely hypothetical.k
 Quarryboy 24 Feb 2011
In reply to koalapie:

Yes but if their is no rules preventing it that means anyone can do it if they like so its fair E.G. If Ondra doesn't like someone for getting stoned and climbing well to take his sponsorship then their is nothing to prevent him from doing it.
 simes303 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Quarryboy:

try THERE are, and full stops.
 simes303 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

I'm getting: "This is a private video. If you have permission to watch this video, please type in your password."

Can I have a password please?
In reply to @ndyM@rsh@ll and lord Ashworth: I dont oppose him doing it again, i just dont really get why its counted as the 2nd ascent??

Ok doing it again is completely up to him and i was a bit quick to say it was pointless, but its not a true second ascent its him doing it again?
 Chris Harris 24 Feb 2011
In reply to simes303:
> (In reply to Quarryboy)
>
> try THERE are, and full stops.

Try "Try", not "try".

Quiddity 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

> i just dont really get why its counted as the 2nd ascent??

Perhaps because it is the second time it has been ascended?

> its not a true second ascent its him doing it again?

I think what you mean is that he's not the true 2nd ascentionist. And you would be right. But that's not what has been reported.
In reply to simes303:
> I'm getting: "This is a private video. If you have permission to watch this video, please type in your password."
>
> Can I have a password please?

We are just looking into this. It looks like the owner has added password protect to it today.

Alan
 simes303 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Chris Harris:
> (In reply to simes303)
> [...]
>
> Try "Try", not "try".

I did that on purpose to make it obvious that the there was there. So there.
 Adam Lincoln 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
> (In reply to simes303)
> [...]
>
> We are just looking into this. It looks like the owner has added password protect to it today.
>
> Alan

Its because DPM uploaded it without asking/paying.

Quarryboy 24 Feb 2011
In reply to Chris Harris:

THERE "there", not THERE.
In reply to plexiglass_nick: Yeah you are right....I back down...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...