UKC

MDF, OSB or plywood.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shaunmillar 25 Feb 2011
my question to the ukc DIY wizards, which of these is best for my bouldering wall???

shaun.
 George Ormerod 25 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar:

I used OSB as it was cheaper and came in more convenient sized panels. And I thought it would hold up OK for my meagre requirements, and indeed it has.
 EddInaBox 25 Feb 2011
In reply to George Ormerod:

+1 for Outlandishly Stiff Blancmange.
Kev Shields 26 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar: 8x4 3/4 ply is what I've used on most walls I've been involved with building..............
 Fraser 26 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar:

OSB should be fine unless you're talking about building a roof in regularly damp conditions. You could always close up the centres of the structural members if you're worried about the material taking the likely load for the span.
 stewieatb 26 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar:

For the love of Om, not MDF.
 jamesg85 26 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar: I used to have a bouldering wall which was just one large ply sheet in my garden, I was thinking of making another similar one, can you get osb or ply in larger sheets than 8 x 4? If so, where from? It would have to be home delivery as well as I don't drive, thanks, James
 pec 26 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar: MDF is not strong enough. OSB is cheaper then ply but less weather resistant (if that's an issue). You're also more likely to get splinters in your fingers from OSB if you slap and miss holds.
In reply to whoever asked:
I've never seen any sheet timber bigger than 8'x4' but most places will do home delivery.
 stewieatb 26 Feb 2011
In reply to jamesgreenfield:

I think some places do 10'x5' but this may only be in certain materials - I've heard of it because somebody on a longboard building forum I once frequented was accidentally given a 10x5 sheet of 3mm plywood, or possibly even single-ply birch veneer, by a timber merchant
OP shaunmillar 26 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar: Thanks for the info folks

Im going with the OSB as it will be in my brothers old room, so weather is not problem.

thanks again,
shaun.
 jamesg85 26 Feb 2011
In reply to stewieatb: thanks, yes I can see a few places now that could do 10 x 5
Rat know-all 26 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar:
For what it's worth I think the bottom line is durability. All those boards are suitable for the job, but will suffer with use in the order MDF-OSB-plywood. Having said that there is a lot of shit plywood about. Another possible variation is playing sheet quality and or thickness off against frequency of support and bonding quality.
Have fun
Rat know-all 26 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar:
PS, 10'x5's... book yourself a surgical support.
 john arran 26 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar:

d. None of the above

I used P5 chipboard flooring for our last cellar, regularly flooded - sometimes for months at a time, but after 10 years not a single t-nut was unusable. Even where it had been underwater for ages it was still fine. Amazing stuff. I'm just about to use it again for a much bigger home wall.

This stuff: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Tongued-and-Grooved-Chipboard-Flooring/invt/164516
 Fraser 26 Feb 2011
In reply to Rat know-all:
> (In reply to shaunmillar)
> PS, 10'x5's... book yourself a surgical support.

LOL!

In reply to john arran:

I was going to suggest regular 8' x 2' t&g flooring chipboard, 18mm thick. It's a good trade-off material in terms of strength, price, durability and smoothness. I used it for my wall and it's been fine.
Rat know-all 27 Feb 2011
In reply to Fraser:
A good point, a lot more manageable and the bonus of edge locking, with the option to run the boards horizontally.
 3leggeddog 27 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar:

I take it you live with your parents and the wall is to be built in a spare room. In that case use ply rather than osb or p5 flooring. It looks much better and you will be less likely to get in trouble with your mum for building a monstrosity in the spare room, osb even painted is particularly ugly in the eyes of the fairer sex. If the room is to be multi use, guest use etc then the family will thank you for using ply.

I speak from experience, wifey would have killed me if I had used osb and my wall is in the garage!
 Niels 27 Feb 2011
In reply to shaunmillar:

If you can afford 18mm Plywood use that, if not then OSB should be fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...