UKC

NEWS: Hard Winter Ascents - Eiger and Grandes Jorasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 02 Mar 2011
The line of Rolling Stones, Grandes Jorasses North Face., 4 kbInfamous French Alpinist Patrice Glairon Rappaz and young uber-alpinist Cédric Perillat-Merceroz have been pushing hard over the last few weeks.

They completed an ascent of Rolling Stones on the north face of the Grandes Jorasses and the Harlin-Direct on the Eiger north face.

Jon Griffith of Alpine Exposures Reports:

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60718

In reply to UKC News: Great effort, and good write with nice photos as usual Jon.

I have 2 questions - 1. Why are the Walker Spur and Slavko Sveticic infamous, rather than just famous?

2. Why is one of the guys a French alpinist and the other an uber-alpinist?

Doug 02 Mar 2011
In reply to Fultonius: wasn't this on a thread sometime ago ?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=445911&v=1#x6254634
 Marek 02 Mar 2011
In reply to Fultonius:
> (In reply to UKC News) Great effort, and good write with nice photos as usual Jon.
>
> I have 2 questions - 1. Why are the Walker Spur and Slavko Sveticic infamous, rather than just famous?
>
> 2. Why is one of the guys a French alpinist and the other an uber-alpinist?

Or for that matter - the summit of the Grande Jorasses "mythical"? I'm sure I've seen it. I'd swear it's real.

On another note - those packs look horrific!
 Morgan Woods 02 Mar 2011
In reply to Fultonius:

i think the alpinists themselves are described as "infamous".

why i have no idea :p
 Wry Gob 02 Mar 2011
In reply to Morgan Woods:

My God if I went onto that route I'd sure as shit wear a bloody helmet!!!
 Robert Durran 02 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

I find this so much more inspiring and impressive than all the "fast'n light" up and down in a day stuff. Not that I have any intention of jumping on either route.....
 ScottMackenzie 02 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic effort!!
proclimb 02 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

the route was first put up by the Slovaks Jaroslav Rutil, Thomas Prochaska, Ludek Schlechta and Jiri Svejda in July 1979, not Slovenians!!
 Coel Hellier 02 Mar 2011
In reply to Marek:

> Or for that matter - the summit of the Grande Jorasses "mythical"? I'm sure I've seen it. I'd swear it's real.

The word "myth" doesn't necessarily mean "untrue", it means something that is an important part of our story about our past (whether true or untrue).

From m-w.com: for "Myth"
a : a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon b : parable, allegory
a : a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society <seduced by the American myth of individualism — Orde Coombs>

Boar of Badenoch 03 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

I think these French Alpinistes are really cool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...