UKC

NEWS: Confusion at Troll Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 03 Mar 2011
Troll Wall, Romsdal, 3 kb

We picked up an interesting article on a Norwegian local web site about an intrepid man spotted below the famous Troll Wall in Norway.

"The police strongly advised him against carrying out his plans at this time of the year."

We can reveal that this is a certain Englishman who had set off to solo the Troll Wall in winter...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60719

tri-nitro-tuolumne 03 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Does anyone know what the legal situation is with climbing / base jumping the Troll Wall. Also, what is the attitude of the rescue services?

As I understand it, it is illegal to base jump the wall and the rescue services reserve the right not to rescue people (I believe they almost lost a helicopter in a rescue). I could be wrong about this though.

I didn't think there were any legal issues with climbing it. Why would the police get involved? I can't imagine the French police advising someone not to climb a new winter route in the alps because of the objective risk.
 sebastien 03 Mar 2011
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne: I do believe that if they came across you at the wrong time at the wrong place, they would let you know it may not be a good idea.
 Lurkio 03 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Pete says this might be "a fairly anti-climatic news story."

Given his problems with the weather, was this a deliberate typo?
 John2 03 Mar 2011
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne: I remember well the wonderful attempt by Phil Thornhill to climb the Troll Wall solo. He fell high up and broke his leg, precipitating a major rescue operation. There was actually a debate in the Norwegian Parliament about whether he was a serious mountaineer who should not be charged for the rescue or an inexperienced lunatic who should be charged. His mother, interviewed by a journalist, said, "Of course he's a serious mountaineer - he trained for this on the white cliffs of Dover".
 Andy Moles 03 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Can't really congratulate on a non-ascent, but the ambition is inspiring enough. Good luck for next time Pete!
 Al Evans 03 Mar 2011
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> I didn't think there were any legal issues with climbing it. Why would the police get involved? I can't imagine the French police advising someone not to climb a new winter route in the alps because of the objective risk.

They do actually do that, even to the state that they have guards on the approach to some 'off-limits' routes at times.
 Garson 03 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:
Shame about the weather; you have to admire the spirit though - awesome!
 nb 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Al Evans:

> They do actually do that, even to the state that they have guards on the approach to some 'off-limits' routes at times.

Is this a reference to summer 2003 where a member of the PGHM was stationed at the bottom of the Aig du Goûter to advise climbers that there was a bigger than normal risk of stonefall? If so your phrase "guards on the approach to some 'off-limits' routes" is a tad sensationalist.

I suppose this is UKC though, so fair enough!!

Nj 03 Mar 2011
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Does anyone know what the legal situation is with climbing / base jumping the Troll Wall. Also, what is the attitude of the rescue services?
>
> As I understand it, it is illegal to base jump the wall and the rescue services reserve the right not to rescue people (I believe they almost lost a helicopter in a rescue). I could be wrong about this though.

All correct what you are saying there. No jumping and the resuce services nearly did lose a chopper, so there are no guarantees for rescue. Climbing is very much allowed.
In reply to Nj:
> All correct what you are saying there. No jumping and the resuce services nearly did lose a chopper, so there are no guarantees for rescue.

Wasn't that years ago? As far as I can remember, you weren't allowed to base jump it when we were there in 1986 and the story of the helicopter rings a bell.

Alan
 another_mark 03 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC News:

> Troll Wall has never before been climbed solo in winter. It will be *exiting* to see what will happen in the next few days

That deliberate?
 Michael Ryan 03 Mar 2011
In reply to nb:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> [...]

> I suppose this is UKC though, so fair enough!!

UKC is a large climbing and mountaineering media Neil, with a popular forum. It also has a news page, regular articles, photo gallery, logbook system. UKC and now UKH has a full time staff of 6+.

Individuals post on the UKC forums, some are very sage, some inexperienced, some with good memories, others with fading memories. Some posters are sensationalist others not - it is quite a mix. The individuals posting on the forums have a variety of views and opinions.

They represent themselves.

tri-nitro-tuolumne 03 Mar 2011
In reply to Nj:
> (In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne)
> [...]
>
> All correct what you are saying there. No jumping and the resuce services nearly did lose a chopper, so there are no guarantees for rescue. Climbing is very much allowed.

Okay - does anyone know of an instance where the rescue services have refused a rescue or where someone has been arrested for jumping the wall?

nb 03 Mar 2011

> Okay - does anyone know of an instance where the rescue services have refused a rescue or where someone has been arrested for jumping the wall?

http://www.basedreams.com/videos.aspx?type=external&id=8

(ps. It was just a wee joke Mick)
 chris fox 03 Mar 2011
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne) I remember well the wonderful attempt by Phil Thornhill to climb the Troll Wall solo. He fell high up and broke his leg, precipitating a major rescue operation. There was actually a debate in the Norwegian Parliament about whether he was a serious mountaineer who should not be charged for the rescue or an inexperienced lunatic who should be charged. His mother, interviewed by a journalist, said, "Of course he's a serious mountaineer - he trained for this on the white cliffs of Dover".

Think this is the article
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WOwDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&am...

Mick Ward 03 Mar 2011
In reply to chris fox:

Ah, those courageous climbers making their final 'assent' to the summit...
And always a tad embarrassing when your mother goes in to bat for you.

Mick
Gorrilla 04 Mar 2011

Read this thread.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=193104

Michael Garton sadly had a serious accident on the troll wall, and the chopper did nearly get taken out by rockfall. As a result there is no guaranteed rescue on the troll wall.
 Will Hunt 04 Mar 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to nb)
>
> Individuals post on The Daily Mail forums, some are very sage, some inexperienced, some with good memories, others with fading memories. Some posters are sensationalist others not - it is quite a mix. The individuals posting on the forums have a variety of views and opinions.
>
> They represent themselves.

pneame 04 Mar 2011
In reply to chris fox:
> (In reply to John2)
> [...]
>
> Think this is the article

An inspiring piece of writing -

I especially like "but nobody heard because his voice was drowned out by the howling winds"
10/10 for effort (both climber and writer)
But no indication that this was the troll wall - it seems that would be unlikely if a "passing group" found him
 Carless 04 Mar 2011
In reply to chris fox:

A fine article - and almost nothing like the way Phil described it to me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...