UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Recollections of Slioch 1st ascents in the 80's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 10 Mar 2011
Sunset +0h45m. On Slioch., 2 kbA personal history of climbing on Slioch from 1980 to 1990.

"Partners were always a problem in such a remote location. Our young locum Doctor was also a climber. He had not done much in winter, but he had the gear, could belay and hold the rope and that was enough for me..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3453

Andy Moles 10 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

Nice. I would love to climb on Slioch.
 robert.smailes 10 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Slioch.... Remember it as if it were yesterday. My first winter climb, in fact, and a long brilliant day. What a great pleasure to read this and I will raise a glass of single malt and pint chaser to you my friend!
Yrmenlaf 10 Mar 2011
In reply to robert.smailes:

Lovely article. I'd hoped to climb Stepped Ridge a couple of years back, but circumstance conspired against.

Y.
 spacey 10 Mar 2011

splendid stuff.
 Smelly Fox 10 Mar 2011
Its been the top of my hit-list for a while now! A lonely place that hopefully will continue to retain its aura. Great article.

Trist
 Harry Ellis 10 Mar 2011
Despite a pal being resident in Gairloch for 5 years we never did get round to climbing on Slioch. You've inspired my resolve to do it yet!
Skyline Highway is the one i'm after. It is the profile that grabs you as you drive past.
Lovely article

Lovely article. Thanks.

jcm
 brotchie 10 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Great article, thanks. Brings back memories of old adventures on Scottish hills and inspires plans for the future!
 Mick Ward 10 Mar 2011

A resonant article. Thank you so much. Was the WWII conscientious objector Brian Kellett?

Mick
In reply to UKC Articles: Great stuff. I've been intrigued by Skyline Highway since I first saw it in the guidebook. Still never made it...
 Jimmy56 10 Mar 2011
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

I've wandered up to do Stepped but wasted the day heading up the wrong features and backing off. Still it's a pleasant walk on a summer's day, so I'll probably give it another go soon - and of course I want to do Skyline if I can get good enough.

Yrmenlaf 10 Mar 2011
 Chadders 10 Mar 2011
Nice article.

I followed in my dad's foot steps back on 1999 aged 19yrs, we found the wee cairn at the foot of the route after paddling across the Loch Marrie in an open canoe.
The route was really good and the setting is just stunning, real Scottish wild West! Once the climbing proper has finished the ridge that carries you to the top of Slioch is excellent.
An adventurous day out if ever your looking for one.

Nice one Dad
 rockrat 11 Mar 2011
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: What guidebook are the routes in. Slioch doesn't appear to be in Pesda Press' Scottish Rock Vol. 2 and the routes aren't on UKC either?
Yrmenlaf 11 Mar 2011
In reply to rockrat:

SMC Northwestern Highlands Volume 2, I think.

Y.
 heavy 12 Mar 2011

Tremendous article climbed on Slioch a few times, the boat trip brought back many memories, no mention of the midges though! Thanks for sharing it.
 Erik B 12 Mar 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: great article, thoroughly enjoyed it
 Wee Davie 12 Mar 2011

Great article. You get all the sense of excitement and wonder that comes from new routing in the Scottish Hills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...