UKC

Baby carrier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jbellj1 14 Mar 2011
I'm looking for recomendations for a baby carrier for a 1 year old, any thoughts?
 LastBoyScout 14 Mar 2011
In reply to jbellj:

The little life ones were popular - well made with some thoughtful touches for parent and kid.

I always thought the MacPac ones were over-engineered and VauDe didn't seem comfortable on some people.

That was my opinion when I used to sell them, but might have changed a bit in the last couple of years.
 rogersavery 14 Mar 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout:
macpac are pretty good - but never managed to find one with ice axe loops though...
 Glansa 14 Mar 2011
In reply to jbellj:

This is a fairly regular topic and as I should be working here is a link to the last one I can remember! The OP asked about their 6 month old but if you ignore any mention of slings/soft carriers that may have cropped up then the rest may be useful...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=446972
In reply to jbellj:

I found if you can trawl around two or three large retailers you'll have pretty much seen all the variations available in the UK. After that it's fit and price.

We got the Vaude Jolly Comfort 1.
 Monk 14 Mar 2011
In reply to jbellj:

Vuade Jolly Comfort Light is the one I like. It fits nicely and my daughter seems comfortable in it. She didn't really fit in the LittleLife ones properly (but she is very small for her age).
 Heike 14 Mar 2011
In reply to jbellj:
I did my research on here a while ago and decided to buy the Deuter Kid comfort II http://www.babycarrier.org.uk/deuter-kid-comfort-ii/

It's been a great backpack so far, you can stuff quite a few things in the bottom pack and the seat is comfortable and the backsupport great for the parent. Our wee boy has been up quite a few Munros and many Corbetts in it, he has also watched me or my husband doing the washing up in it and has slept in it during visits to the crag. The great thing is that it stands up on his own, so once he falls asleep you can take the pack off and put him somewhere in a quiet corner without waking.
One thing I'd say is get the sun and the raincover for it, the raincover is invaluable to keep the wind off.

Problem I have know is that aged 20 months he now quite often wants to walk himself for a bit, so the walks are starting to take a bit longer
 Heike 14 Mar 2011
In reply to Heike:
That shoudl read 'The great thing is that it stands up on its own....@
adamtc 14 Mar 2011
In reply to jbellj: We use a Deuter Kid Comfort III. Very happy with it. Very comfy to carry the Creature (10.5kg and counting) and some stuff, said creature seems happy....then again he usually does!
dannorris 14 Mar 2011
In reply to jbellj: We've used the macpac (top of the range model I think, £200)for years. The boy is 4 and a few months now and although its not exactly comfortable for me, he's happy enough in the back. The macpac's a bit scruffy but going strong. Highly reccomended.
 MattJP 14 Mar 2011
In reply to Nick B, Another One:
> (In reply to jbellj)
>
> This is a fairly regular topic and as I should be working here is a link to the last one I can remember! The OP asked about their 6 month old but if you ignore any mention of slings/soft carriers that may have cropped up then the rest may be useful...
>
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=446972

We ended up with the Little Life Freedom after we tried a few in Outside, Hathersage complete with our 6 month old baby! It was very comfortable for both me (6'2") and my wife (4'11") and back support can be adjusted to accomdate both our heights.
Tried the Macpac and didnt find it all comfortable and very heavy, plus the seat area was far too wide for his little legs to sit a kimbo!
We have just ordered the inflatable pillow to help him sleep when on the move. A few more adjustments and he will be very comfortable.

Cheers.

Monk 14 Mar 2011
In reply to MattJP:
> (In reply to Nick B, Another One)
> [...]
>
> ...after we tried a few in Outside, Hathersage complete with our 6 month old baby!

That's very good advice: Test them before you buy them. We found there was considerable variation in fit and comfort, both for the adult and the child.
 mrjonathanr 14 Mar 2011
In reply to jbellj:
Another vote for Deuter Kid C.3. Bought a Macpac then changed for this - miles better. Comfortable, stable on ground, carries lots of stuff blah, blah but why I'd go with this is the back: very high, protects child's neck and has a built in rain/sun shade which is super sturdy, just reach behind your head and pull it out. Awesome.
 ChrisJD 14 Mar 2011
In reply to jbellj:

We've got a macpac, vaude and a BabyBjorn.

But are now complete converts to Ergobaby for general use (having tried a friends).

BUT - don't buy on EBay...loads of fakes and they are pretty convincing as we bought one and returned it. Go for proper supplier.

rednip120372 14 Mar 2011
In reply to jbellj:
Hi we had a bush baby premier only used it a handful of times! You could have it for 60 pounds if your interested? Can supply pics complete with rain cover sun canopy etc! Thanks Jason
 Carolyn 14 Mar 2011
> (In reply to jbellj)
>
> This is a fairly regular topic and as I should be working here is a link to the last one I can remember! The OP asked about their 6 month old but if you ignore any mention of slings/soft carriers that may have cropped up then the rest may be useful...
>
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=446972

Plenty of slings/soft structured carriers are suitable for older kids in back carries, too - most things apart from the Baby Bjorn type - depends if you also need any additional load carrying capability really. I find them much comfier - like lugging a lead rack up the fell instead of half a stretcher..... both heavy, but one's much more unweildly
 Glansa 14 Mar 2011
In reply to Carolyn:

Fair point, I still use the Ergo occasionally when just taking the dog round the block and our girl is 19 months. In general though we stopped using soft carriers as both of us (and other family/friends) found that past about 12-14 months structured carriers were more comfortable if any real distance was involved but that is very much an individual thing. Also I've found that when she is struggling/kicking/dancing it has much less effect on me if she's in the Macpac rather than the Ergo!

Another factor that pushed us was the lack of good weather proofing for soft slings. We considered just putting the wee one in her rainsuit and letting the sling get wet but it just didn't seem sensible. While she was young we could both just about get her in the sling inside a jacket while it was raining but that doesn't work when she's on the back. The Macpac that we went for has full covers.

Luggage space is also a big plus when we're off for a day walk without the wife, I only tried one real walk with the Ergo on the front and a bag on my back, felt like a year out backpacker and only last about 3 miles!
 mike123 14 Mar 2011
In reply to jbellj: we ve got a mac pac and a bushbaby (the proper carrier and a baby bjorn), i much prefer the bushbaby to the macpac . try to try before you buy .
 Heike 14 Mar 2011
I agree with you. For any real distance the structured ones are so much better once they get beyond 6-9months or thereabouts. And also, the opportunity for the rain/wind cover is so much better then on slings IMHO. I also just felt like a mule to have a bag at the front and one at the back, no real enjoyment, whereas with the backpack it's just like a normal day out. Also, I always felt that the legs were getting in the way of my legs particualrly when stepping up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...