UKC

Barmouth Slabs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dbm 14 Mar 2011
I'm off to the Rhinogs walking next weekend. As I'm travelling from the south on Friday I was thinking of stopping by Barmouth Slabs that afternoon. Just looking for some easy leads to gain more experience.

I understand this is a popular crag with outdoor groups - is that more of a weekend activity or do I need to be prepared for the possibility of sharing the routes with a group? Thanks.

David
 MattJP 14 Mar 2011
In reply to DaveMinsh:

We have climbed there many times and only ever had the outdoor group a handful of times. Its probably hit and miss but I would suspect weekends to be more likely. If you get there early you shoould be ok.

Its a great spot with superb views over Cadair Idris and the Mawddach estury.

Enjoy it!
 Nick Mortley 14 Mar 2011
In reply to DaveMinsh: I regularly work at barmouth slabs and fridays are normally quiet as most of the regular users operate tuesdays - thursdays programs.
OP dbm 14 Mar 2011
Thanks for the feeback above to my initial query.

I note the UKC crag description includes 16 routes here while the Meirionnydd CC guide I have only covers 9. Seems there's some routes on the upper tier from the descriptions on UKC. Is there a topo available anywhere for the upper tier? I've tried searching but couldn't find one. Thanks.

David
adam11 14 Mar 2011
In reply to DaveMinsh: I think it's in the Merionedd Guide book.
There's a nice walk over the back afterwards, with stunning views
 Phil1919 14 Mar 2011
In reply to DaveMinsh: Weathers beginning to look good for next weekend already. Nice part of the country.
OP dbm 14 Mar 2011
In reply to adam11: Thanks. The guide only gives partial coverage, or the upper tier was developed after it was published. I think there's more than enough to keep my wife and I occupied for a few routes in what looks to be a great setting.

David
 Ropeboy 15 Mar 2011
OP dbm 15 Mar 2011
In reply to Ropeboy: Thanks. I'd spotted that picture which along with the others and the Meirionnydd CC Guide gives pretty comprehensive coverage.

Summitpost.org however has an note saying "the slabs of the upper tiers are much shorter and offer a scattering of short routes and bouldering problems, none of which have been properly recorded." I was curious about these as additional routes not covered in the guide are listed on the UKC page for Barmouth Slabs; just can't find any topos for them. Given the time I'll have available they'll be something for another day though!

David
 SGD 15 Mar 2011
In reply to DaveMinsh: Its worth combining a route on the lower slab with a pitch on the upper slab as well. I don't know what the routes are or the grades but they are obvious and in keeping with the grades on the lower slab. A note on the approach, use the one on UKC not the in the guide book. Free parking and a 10 minute walk up a road. Enjoy its a lovely spot.
 MattJP 15 Mar 2011
In reply to DaveMinsh:

Actually, now I have looked at the database, I would be intrested in the other routes too. They are all new since I was last there!
We never seemed to be able to 'see' Steves Jamming Crack so may struggle to find the climbs around it!
 d_b 15 Mar 2011
In reply to DaveMinsh:

The upper tier is largely easy angled. I found it pretty soloable at the time, so it's probably mostly around diff.

Good fun though.
Anonymous 15 Mar 2011
In reply to MattJP:
The Jamming crack is behind the big block on the right. Not very nice.

ABG
 MattJP 16 Mar 2011
In reply to Anonymous:
Cheers for that Airbourne!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...