UKC

Bouldering in Calafornia?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Niels 21 Mar 2011
Touring Calafornia with the family, none of whom climb, but have been told I can spend 1/2 days bouldering, any recomendations?
willriseley 21 Mar 2011
OP Niels 22 Mar 2011
In reply to Niels:
Cheers, any problems youd recommend (up to v8.)
 Stuart S 22 Mar 2011
In reply to Niels:

Kind of depends on when you're going and what the weather's like. If it's cold, you're possibly better off down on the tableland (Happys, Sads), but if you're going later in the spring then the cooler temps up at the Buttermilk (or higher still) might suit you better. Either way, there are loads of quality problems to go at.

This isn't a bad site for getting a feel for what's on offer - http://www.mountainproject.com/v/california/sierra_eastside/bishop_area/106...
 Stuart S 22 Mar 2011
In reply to Stuart S:

p.s. you might also find this article useful - http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3012
 Alan Rubin 23 Mar 2011
In reply to Niels: California is a VERY big place, with lots of climbing/bouldering areas scattered around, so if you detail your proposed itinerary I (or others) could give more specific suggestions. As others have mentioned, Bishop is great, but is far from the main population centers/tourist sites. Time of year matters as well--it gets pretty toasty in much of California during the summer. Anyway, there are some popular bouldering areas in or near both San Francisco (Indian Rock, etc. in Berkley and several areas near Palo Alto and north in Marin County) and LA (Stoney Point)--not the quality or atmosphere of Bishop but fine for some exercise, as well as in many areas in bertween, and, of course, if you are there during the warmer months, many options in the mountains (Yosemite, etc.).
OP Niels 23 Mar 2011
In reply to Alan Rubin:

I am still planning but its a kind of roadtrip and i was going to visit lake tahoe and death valley anyway and bishop looks sort of on the way it looks perfect.
OP Niels 23 Mar 2011
In reply to Niels:

Just saw the bit about san fransisco too and as i am staying there for a bit might check that out too, cheers

Also had a look at those two websites stuart s. Cheers.
 SimonisD 04 Apr 2011
Maybe give Alcatraz a miss and pop to the Planet Granite climbing wall overlooking the bay in San Francisco instead - it's immense - I spent 6 hours there today!

Bishop blew me away - stunning and a choice of world-class granite bouldering (Buttermilks) or world-class volcanic rock bouldering (Happies).

Have a great trip.

Dan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...