UKC

soloing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jack1996 23 Mar 2011
What was your first solo? I'm thinking of doing some on the weekend.
thanks
In reply to jack1996: The Great Arch - Pabay.
 Dr Toph 24 Mar 2011
In reply to jack1996:

Sometime as a teenager, before I could afford gear. Un-recorded sea cliffs near North Berwick...
 Fidmark 24 Mar 2011
In reply to Dr Toph:
> (In reply to jack1996)
>
> Sometime as a teenager, before I could afford gear..

Same here... about a year ago.
 johnnorman 24 Mar 2011
In reply to jack1996:

Grooved Arete
 pizza 24 Mar 2011
In reply to jack1996: eeny at wilton
 psykx 24 Mar 2011
In reply to jack1996:

some unrecorded sea cliff in ko tao in thailand, before I knew about even chalk and shoes..
 Jonny2vests 24 Mar 2011
In reply to James Paul Robinson:
> (In reply to jack1996) The Great Arch - Pabay.

That would be nice wouldn't it.
 summo 24 Mar 2011
In reply to jack1996: probably Corvus as a youth, only one grade up from the hardest scrambling grade(ish) so it seemed like logical progression to us at the time. The imaginary divide that seems to exist(for some) between scrambling and climbing was not known to us, we just flowed from one into the other.
 Jonny2vests 24 Mar 2011
In reply to jack1996:
> What was your first solo? I'm thinking of doing some on the weekend.
> thanks

Are you looking for recommendations? Left end of Burbage North is good.

It takes quite a few years for most people to get "steady on your feet and steady in your head" to reliably solo. Take care jack, leave your ego at the bottom.
 summo 24 Mar 2011
In reply to jack1996: I've just read your profile, If you choose to solo anything go for single pitch stuff like mentioned above at Burbage. You don't really have the trad climbing experience to be venturing much beyond long bouldering routes. Give it time, you're more likely to live longer and get hurt less that way!
 ring ouzel 24 Mar 2011
In reply to jack1996: I think mine's was Sheepfank Wall in Glen Nevis.
 staceyjg 24 Mar 2011
In reply to jack1996:

There are some nice easy slabs as Baslow for soloing
In reply to jonny2vests: I was spotted by Rich Simpson. Fell free to ask him for verification
 Jon Stewart 24 Mar 2011
In reply to jack1996: I started climbing from solo scrambling up to about Diff I guess in the Lakes and Snowdonia. Then I got some 5.10 approach shoes and soloed on grit up to about severe. I got stuck and scared a few times but never hurt. Grit's ideal for soloing (not quarried though!) - the well cleaned, solid nature of popular routes takes out mouch of the uncontrolled risk.

Obviously soloing multi-pitch is a different game. I drop my grade a long way and they're still extremely memorable experiences. Agag's Groove and Carckstone Rob were both amazing.
 Alex@home 24 Mar 2011
In reply to staceyjg:
> (In reply to jack1996)
>
> There are some nice easy slabs as Baslow for soloing

slabs may not be the best option for someone starting out soloing. it doesn't suit everyone and if you need to back off it's much easier when there are holds to hold onto
 Jonny2vests 24 Mar 2011
In reply to James Paul Robinson:
> (In reply to jonny2vests) I was spotted by Rich Simpson. Fell free to ask him for verification

Wow. Rich completely corroborated your story. He said he passed you as he was down climbing it.

Good effort James, I'm going to call in a few favours and see if we can't get you a sponsorship deal or two.
 gingerwolf 24 Mar 2011
In reply to jack1996: some VDiffs up Tryfan Bach

Then easy stuff at Windgather

Then easy stuff around Back Forest

Ease into it, I've only just started too - and let someone know your there, just incase.....!

Take it easy, and happy climbing!
 Evilllamas 24 Mar 2011
I don't know the names of the routes etc, but I'v solo'd all sorts of objects and rocks that are the height of most climbs, probably getting to no more than a low f4 grade though.
 Jonny2vests 24 Mar 2011
In reply to Evilllamas:
> I don't know the names of the routes etc, but I'v solo'd all sorts of objects and rocks

Objects you say. Trees? Stepladders? Giraffes?
 Jonny2vests 24 Mar 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> Agag's Groove and Carckstone Rob were both amazing.

Carckstone Rob does sound amazing now you mention it. Can't seem to find it in the database though...
In reply to jonny2vests: Yeah he backed off the crux, too hard for him. Tell them i'm days off my first 4 minute mile too. That should swing 'em.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...