UKC

Introducing myself

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
clumsyhero 28 Mar 2011
Hi there I am Chris and I am very new to climbing.

Have recently had training at NorthWestFace in Warrington and have been pointed to these forums by staff working there.

Just a note to say Hi and introduce myself

Chris
(ClumsyHero)
 birdie num num 28 Mar 2011
In reply to clumsyhero:

Greetings Chris,
Num Num at your service.
Anything you want to know about climbing, best not ask me.
Num Num
clumsyhero 28 Mar 2011
In reply to birdie num num:

Hi Num Num, thanks for the heads up on asking you things ;~)

Later

Clumsy hero
In reply to clumsyhero: come in the waters lovely
 JamButty 28 Mar 2011
In reply to clumsyhero: Just remember that no matter how abusive this lot get, its never (!?) serious.
You also need to get on grit and Three Pebble Slab to understand half the debates!
Welcome!
In reply to Winterbotty: abusive? Anyway has he posted on the correct forum?
 Styx 28 Mar 2011
In reply to clumsyhero: Hi Chris, I climb at North West Face as well (Warrington local), give me a shout if you need a partner some time! Climb outdoors as much as possible too.

Rob
clumsyhero 29 Mar 2011
In reply to Styx: Cool. Will certainly take you up on that offer at some point buddy as yet i dont know anyone else who climbs. Moving house over the next couple of weeks hough so my time is pretty much spoken for atm.

As for outdoor climbing, I have only done a small amount of indoor top roping, not done any lead climbing so will wait for a while before I venture outdoors ( that and I am also trying to overcome a "slight" fear of heights so want to nail that to my bedroom wall before I up the ante lol )

Thanks for the welcome guys and dont worry I can take my fair share of abuse

Later.

Clumsy Hero
 Trangia 29 Mar 2011
In reply to clumsyhero:
> (In reply to Styx) dont worry I can take my fair share of abuse
>
>

Oooooow! Steady that may be a red rag to a bull on this forum.

Do you know anything about planes landing on conveyor belts?

That apart, Welcome! Most people here are helpful and friendly.
 lynda 29 Mar 2011
In reply to Winterbotty: Nah, aeroplanes on treadmills are THE debates to get involved with, followed by grammar pedantry, religion, politics, the Middle East...

Climbing comes at the very bottom of the pile
 AndyE9 29 Mar 2011
Hello . .

I am fairly new to the fourm too . I am sure if you have any questions the guys on ere will be able to help out . .
clumsyhero 29 Mar 2011
In reply to Trangia:

Only know that planes on a conveyor belt was tested by mythbusters once and it didn't go too well lol.

ClumsyHero
 Fluvial 29 Mar 2011
In reply to clumsyhero:
Yep agree grit is what you need to know about, I overcame my height issues by bouldering, being in Warrington you ahve access to a bit. Anyway they are all abusive gits here and it's all personal. I can't name names but basically its all of them
clumsyhero 30 Mar 2011
In reply to fozmeister: thanks forthe tips people.

What is the idea of bouldering? is it a strength and accuracy exercise? or more of a confidence builder with not using and gear while bouldering, I know these are all n00b questions but rather ask here than at a climb somewhere lol

also what do i need to know about grit

thanks guys and gals

ClumsyHero
 Fidmark 30 Mar 2011
In reply to clumsyhero:
> (In reply to fozmeister) thanks forthe tips people.
>
>
>
> also what do i need to know about grit
>
>

Its hard. Thats what I found out at this year
DaveBear 30 Mar 2011
In reply to clumsyhero:

Bouldering is a way of training and practising, both physically, and in terms of technique, for climbing. And grit is a miniature version of proper crags, and these in turn provide practise for the alps and beyond . . .
DaveBear 30 Mar 2011
In reply to clumsyhero:

Oh, and welcome to the site mate!

Flees
 staceyjg 30 Mar 2011
In reply to clumsyhero:

Grit is like climbing on rounded holds covered with fine sandpaper, it takes some getting used to after climbing on plastic holds in doors, as you quickly realise there are very few holds in comparison.
 TheHorroffice 30 Mar 2011
In reply to DaveBear:
''Bouldering is a way of training and practising,''

Are you trying to start a demonstration of an abusive forum?!?!?!
 Hat Dude 30 Mar 2011
In reply to clumsyhero:

Right! Time to test your suitability to be on UKC

What is the general name of the climbing area situated roughly between Sheffield and Manchester?
FiendishMcButton 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Hat Dude:

Alevanshire
clumsyhero 08 Apr 2011
Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome, sorry havent replied in ages but have just moved house and had no net connection sad face.

I am knee deep in decorating i have to do for the moment but hope to get down to NWF pretty soon.

Catch you all soon (but not literally! hahaha! I slay me :/ )

ClumsyHero
 Big Steve 08 Apr 2011
In reply to clumsyhero: always remember, its the 'Peak, not the 'Peaks'
 goldmember 08 Apr 2011
In reply to Big Steve: Al said it was the other way around!
ice.solo 09 Apr 2011
In reply to clumsyhero:

hi chris,

like all good societies theres an initiation right of passage.

post something about drytooling by israeli cop haters on grit. if you survive that youre in.

oh, and as youve probably already found out by now, the only sane one here is num num.
 David Hooper 09 Apr 2011
In reply to clumsyhero:

Welcome - take the time to fill your profile in a bit mor e so folk get a rough idea who they are ilinking up with for as climb.

There arew quite a few "characters" on here who you will get used to/ abused by/ entertained by/ reppelled by.

Also UKC is the font of all knowlerdge about non climbing related things also (seriously).It can also be a fantastic community for offering morL AND EMOTIONAL SUPPORT AT ITS BEST.

Any climbing related question will lead to a big circular argument but as a newbie you will still learn -.

There are two main shifts here - the day time home workers/office workers who tend to be fairly lucid but can be a bit banal.

Then there is the night shift, the druggies, the alkies, the care in the community, the disturbed, the lonely and the insomniacs. Thats where the fun begins.

As you probably know - in your area you also have awesome walls as wekll as NW face and also the amazing but hard outdoor venue Pex Hill Quarry -
I work as a mountain instructor -so any newbie questions ask away and Ill try to give a sensible answer

Cheers

David
 tim000 09 Apr 2011
In reply to clumsyhero: hi, another northwest face climber here. let me know if you need a partner. a word of warning about the bouldering at warrington, ive been told that the climbs are quite hard for the grades. not bouldered anywhere else so cant compare it though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...