UKC

Do all roadies dress like a ballet dancer now?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Flatus Vetus 30 Mar 2011
Back in the day only proper competitive cyclists or enthusiastic club cyclists dressed in skin tight clothing now it would seem that even the crap cyclists have to wear their latest team colours. Does nobody cycle in proper clothing anymore?
 Toby_W 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Flatus Vetus:

I think it's a bit like football kit... except roadies actually do their sport all be it not quite like the people in the tdf. I think it looks great better than all that dull black.

Cheers

Toby
 LastBoyScout 30 Mar 2011

The roadie commuter I saw earlier will be mostly wearing plaster casts and bandages when his luck finally runs out!
 Bean Head 30 Mar 2011
> Back in the day only proper competitive cyclists or enthusiastic club cyclists dressed in skin tight clothing now it would seem that even the crap cyclists have to wear their latest team colours. Does nobody cycle in proper clothing anymore?

Proper clothing for cycling is skin tight. As for team kit, I wouldn't wear it personally but each to their own.

Rob

Green Porridge 30 Mar 2011

I don't wear team clothes - that's a bit pretentious for someone like myself. However, if I go for a 100km ride, wearing proper cycling clothing really helps - a pair of jeans would seriously chafe if I were going that far! However, riding to the pub (assuming I'm not visiting the pub on the way back from a "proper" ride) definitely means sensible clothes - I don't want to look like a total dick when I get there! Exception might be wearing cycling shoes...

Tim
 tim000 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Flatus Vetus: seen that guy before. must have long arms to reach the bars. or maybe reaching for the bar got him like that.
 Enty 30 Mar 2011
> Back in the day only proper competitive cyclists or enthusiastic club cyclists dressed in skin tight clothing now it would seem that even the crap cyclists have to wear their latest team colours. Does nobody cycle in proper clothing anymore?

It's possible for crap cyclists to look good - but it's not easy. Pro team kit is a no-no and mixing pro team kit is a hanging offence - so are black socks.

Look up the Euro Cyclist rules.

E

Siward 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Enty: I'm sure I read a scientific article (New Scientist?) which concluded that the real world advantage of wearing shiny lycra over a hairy three piece tweed suit was something like 0.03%.

OK- comfort may dictate something a little more comfortable but there is no excuse, no excuse I say, for the way many cyclists dress.

Graham T 30 Mar 2011
I wear baggies and a wicking tshirt when on the road bike.
Simply put no one looks good in lycra and it shouldn't be inflicted on people. (Only exclusion is in the swimming pool).

Full team gear makes me laugh a lot though, mainly as the lycra is straining to cover the obvious middle age spread.

Oi, Fatties - Don't wear lycra
estivoautumnal 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Green Porridge:
> (In reply to Flatus Vetus)
>
> I don't want to look like a total dick when I get there!
>
> Tim

So by your own admission you look like a 'total dick, when you are cycling anywhere but the pub?
That's lycra for you.
 Tall Clare 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Graham T:
> I wear baggies and a wicking tshirt when on the road bike.
> Simply put no one looks good in lycra and it shouldn't be inflicted on people. (Only exclusion is in the swimming pool).

I think you'll find that a lot of women out there would disagree - the finely honed male thigh/bum in lycra is a truly joyous sight.

>
> Full team gear makes me laugh a lot though, mainly as the lycra is straining to cover the obvious middle age spread.
>
> Oi, Fatties - Don't wear lycra

goes without saying - though the proper paunchy cyclists tend to be mountain bikers, it seems.

terryturbojr 30 Mar 2011

i have some padded crotch tights. Can't bring myself to wear them on their own though so a pair of shorts go over the top courier style. That's my lycra limit.
 Mikkel 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Graham T:
> I wear baggies and a wicking tshirt when on the road bike.

And i often wear tights when on the mountainbike, its just so much more comfortable.

I once biked to work in my tights, and found i had forgotten to bring my trousers to work.
So i was wearing tights all day at work, not a single person noticed!

In reply to estivator:

Good try! No, what I actually meant was, being dressed inappropriately for the pub would make me look a bit of a dick. I would also not go in my swimming costume, running kit, cricket whites (except directly following a game with the pub side), cross country skiing kit, tux, Lederhosen (except at Oktoberfest), or an full size bear costume. All might be appropriate at some point (though Lederhosen could be debated), just not at the pub.

Tim
In reply to Mikkel:

> I once biked to work in my tights, and found i had forgotten to bring my trousers to work.
> So i was wearing tights all day at work, not a single person noticed!

Are you a newsreader?
 Horse 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Green Porridge:

No, he spent all day sitting on the bog.
 Graham T 30 Mar 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:
Ok if you are a woman then fair enough, however as a bloke I would really really rather not see a man in lycra, ok not as bad as budgie smugglers, but not a long way back
 link 30 Mar 2011

I think I am the only commuter going from Stockport to Macclesfield in downhill mountainbiking pants while riding a skinny road bike. It annoys the true roadies when I overtake them wearing my big silly DX shoes clipped to my big silly DX pedals

Modern cycling gear is so practical. There's no way I'd go back to wooly sweaters, plus 2's, and long wool socks for club runs, or to polycotton tops, woollen shorts with real chamois leather inserts, and wool arm warmers for wet races, as I did in the 60's.

I'm a member of Southport cycling club - so wear club colours (or the UKC Velo top of course).

Wearing pro team kit is a no-no - unless you're actually good enough to have earned it.
 Stone Muppet 31 Mar 2011
I like it when bumblies wear fancy team lycra. Makes me feel better when I overtake them on my mtb
tradattack 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Flatus Vetus: wearing lycra actualy makes you ride much faster because its too embrassing to be seen riding slowly in it and your scared that someone will recognise you unless your tanking it.
 Clarence 31 Mar 2011

http://www.tweed.cc/

nuff said...
 The New NickB 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

I has in a pub registering for a 5k run last night and noticed someone carrying a Team GB bag, I am with you on the don't wear / carry something unless you have earnt it thing, but he turned around and it was Chris Newton, so I figured he had earnt it.

He has taken up running with a club local to me since he gave up pro cycling, unsurprisingly he is pretty good.
 beardy mike 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Flatus Vetus: I would like to point out those fricking stupid see through waterpoof tops that some people insist on wearing so that you can still see their team strip. WAKE UP FATTY - YOU'RE NOT ON A TEAM. Apart from team fatty. Don't get me started on the carbon fibre beauties some people buy in the mistaken belief that it will make them good. I have three bikes, and one of the guys who I ride with has a carbon bike which is worth well over the value of my 3 bikes put together. Still doesn't make him any quicker...
 Ramblin dave 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Clarence:
>
> http://www.tweed.cc/
>
> nuff said...

DO WANT!!!

Seriously though, noobish question: aside from plus fours, is there a standard thing to wear on your legs if you haven't got the finely honed thighs to pull off lycra tights but don't want to chafe horribly in jeans? Trackies? Ordinary shorts?
 Monk 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> (In reply to Clarence)
> [...]

> Seriously though, noobish question: aside from plus fours, is there a standard thing to wear on your legs if you haven't got the finely honed thighs to pull off lycra tights but don't want to chafe horribly in jeans? Trackies? Ordinary shorts?

MTB baggy shorts with inserts. Pure Roadies will disagree, but they are practical, comfortable and acceptable in normal society.

Then again, you may not want to follow my advice as I am terminally unfashionable on the bike - I have a 12 year old Raleigh road bike, and am often seen in jeans or baggy shorts on it. I even have a pump...
 gethin_allen 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Horse:
> (In reply to Epic Ebdon)
>
> No, he spent all day sitting on the bog.
either that or he's self employed and works alone.

Clarence 31 Mar 2011

youtube.com/watch?v=Grad9m2K5g0&

Mr. Pither is the height of sartorial elegance upon the velocipe.
 yorkshireman 31 Mar 2011
In reply to mike kann:
> (In reply to Flatus Vetus) WAKE UP FATTY - YOU'RE NOT ON A TEAM. Apart from team fatty.

I went out for a club ride on Saturday and one of the more portly members of the group was wearning a pair of lycra shorts emblazened with that exact team name. I don't know if they were custom or you can buy 'Team Fatty' cycling shorts.
 Marek 31 Mar 2011
Alternatively - Shrug, smile and get on with your life (SSAGOWYL - could be very useful shorthand in far too many thread here!)

In reply to mike kann:
> (In reply to Flatus Vetus) I would like to point out those fricking stupid see through waterpoof tops that some people insist on wearing so that you can still see their team strip. WAKE UP FATTY - YOU'RE NOT ON A TEAM. Apart from team fatty. Don't get me started on the carbon fibre beauties some people buy in the mistaken belief that it will make them good. I have three bikes, and one of the guys who I ride with has a carbon bike which is worth well over the value of my 3 bikes put together. Still doesn't make him any quicker...

Robert Dickson 31 Mar 2011
In reply to yorkshireman:
> I went out for a club ride on Saturday and one of the more portly members of the group was wearning a pair of lycra shorts emblazened with that exact team name. I don't know if they were custom or you can buy 'Team Fatty' cycling shorts.

Are these them? http://www.twinsix.com/gear/the-stuff/fat-cyclist/teamfatty-men-slvls

Quite tempted I must say.

AlisonSmiles 31 Mar 2011
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to Lord of Starkness)
>
he turned around and it was Chris Newton, so I figured he had earnt it.

OK, that's really weird to be doing lunchtime surfing and find the guy sat opposite me mentioned in a UKC thread! He's in marathon training apparently. Oh, and he does look hot in lycra.

I think us girls are more fortunate here as with a bit of thinking I managed to find an outfit I could wear for a bike ride to the theatre and not feel out of place. Leggings and tunic with a change of footwear in the rucksack. I don't like to wear floppy trousers which get caught in the chain.

Clarence 31 Mar 2011
In reply to AlisonSmiles:
> I don't like to wear floppy trousers which get caught in the chain.

Bicycle clips dear lady, bicycle clips!
 Bean Head 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Flatus Vetus: Thinking about it, even when I'm "just popping out" I wear Shimano road shoes, jeans (right leg tucked into sock) Northwave softshell, gloves and helmet. That's even to visit my sister who lives just three and a half miles away. Anything less wouldn't feel practical or comfortable.

Rob
 doz generale 31 Mar 2011

the only lycra i would ever wear to cycle is my spiderman outfit.
 beardy mike 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Marek: http://img.alibaba.com/photo/272372976/cycling_rain_jacket_jacket_rainwear....

How on earth can you SSAGOWYL about THAT? He looks ridiculous.
 salad fingers 31 Mar 2011
Get over it. Why shouldn't people be able to buy/wear what they want?
 doz generale 31 Mar 2011
In reply to mike kann:
> (In reply to Marek) http://img.alibaba.com/photo/272372976/cycling_rain_jacket_jacket_rainwear....
>
> How on earth can you SSAGOWYL about THAT? He looks ridiculous.

By the great beard of Zeus! that's the sort of thing you would see a 3 year old in? does he have jelly sandals too?

Wht the hell does SSAGOWYL mean?
In reply to flipper:

I wear lycra and I ride for team Cookie Monster* !!

ALC

* I have the figure to prove this beyond all reasonable doubt

fimm 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Graham T:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> Ok if you are a woman then fair enough, however as a bloke I would really really rather not see a man in lycra, ok not as bad as budgie smugglers, but not a long way back

Now this I simply don't get. Men have external genitalia. So?
 Marek 31 Mar 2011
In reply to mike kann:
> (In reply to Marek) http://img.alibaba.com/photo/272372976/cycling_rain_jacket_jacket_rainwear....
>
> How on earth can you SSAGOWYL about THAT? He looks ridiculous.

In a pub you'ld have a point. On a bike, in the Alps, in the rain...
He does look embarrassed though.
 Enty 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Stone Muppet:
> I like it when bumblies wear fancy team lycra. Makes me feel better when I overtake them on my mtb

I rode past a mountain biker this morning. I was going so fast the bow wave from my lycra clad thighs inflated his baggy shorts and nearly dragged him into the gutter.

E

Marek 31 Mar 2011
In reply to doz generale:
> (In reply to mike kann)
> [...]
>
> By the great beard of Zeus! that's the sort of thing you would see a 3 year old in? does he have jelly sandals too?
>
>
> Wht the hell does SSAGOWYL mean?

Sorry, my fault: "Shrug, smile and get on with your life" (SSAGOWYL - could be very useful shorthand in far too many thread here!) - from further up the thread.
 AlisonSmiles 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Enty:

Define mountain biker?! In my post Christmas party hungover, over the limit and carless frame of mind last December I passed a guy riding a full suspension mountain bike along the tow path from Manchester Piccadilly out to Eastlands. I wouldn't exactly call him a mountain biker. After all, I was walking.
 gethin_allen 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Flatus Vetus: I think these people have the right idea of what to wear cycling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEX0KfKi2XE&feature=related
 beardy mike 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Marek: On a bike in the alps in the rain, would a highly breathable waterproof not be better for the job than a PVC crisppacket? I think I know why you're objecting though... you own one don't you.
Chateauneuf du Boeuf 31 Mar 2011
In reply to mike kann: Dunno about the garment in question, but you just need something light and relatively close fitting to keep the wind and rain off on descents. I dont think lugging the latest 300 quid waterproof up the galibier would seem like such a great idea when you overheat and have to stick it in yer back pocket
 Marek 31 Mar 2011
In reply to mike kann:
> (In reply to Marek) On a bike in the alps in the rain, would a highly breathable waterproof not be better for the job than a PVC crisppacket? I think I know why you're objecting though... you own one don't you.

Actually I don't. I think they're horrible, but I'm not fussed if anyone else wants to wear one. I think some of them are breathable too.

Anyway, since I was on a roll with SSAGOWYL, I can also offer you LWBBIWWATS ("loobiwats") - "Life would be boring if we were all the same". Sad, I know.

beardy mike 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Chateauneuf du Boeuf: There are some pretty damn light and pretty damn breathable items of clothing out there - what I'm saying is that people who wear a team strip, and a see through water/windproof so that you can still see that strip when actually all you're doing is going for a weekend ride and you're not actually part of that team, needs a good shoeing. Is there anything wrong with an opaque fabric? I doubt it. People just like to show off...
 Timmd 31 Mar 2011
In reply to fimm:
> (In reply to Graham T)
> [...]
>
> Now this I simply don't get. Men have external genitalia. So?

It means he has to think about it. Aargh.

I don't get it either. I just feel like a stork if I wear lycra, but it's seeming like the comfiest clothing for cycling long distance in is the stuff which makes me feel like a stork.

I'm looking into buying some Bontranger commuting trousers with flat seams to avoid chafing, to avoid the stork feeling, but I fear I might have to go for lycra in the end.

I might write into Cycling Plus asking about clothing for cycling in which doesn't look like cycling clothing.

Cheers
Tim

In reply to Timmd: What a huge jessie!
 Siward 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Timmd: This is where its at. Out of my price range though.

http://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/dt/tailoredoutfits/tailored-outfits-sub1/
 Timmd 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Chateauneuf du Boeuf:
> (In reply to Timmd) What a huge jessie!

Probably. ()

I just feel like I should be looking for grubs or something, and standing on one leg.

The extra muscle support would be nice though.

I might have to invest in some lycra if I want to try and beat my brother in the Hathersage Hilly half triathlon this summer.

It'll be his third year and my first, it'd be cool to beat his best time.

Cheers
Tim
 Graham T 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Timmd:

I just can't say that the sight of a man in skin tight lycra is appealing in the slightest. Thats all.

Nothing more than that
 Marek 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Graham T:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> I just can't say that the sight of a man in skin tight lycra is appealing in the slightest. Thats all.
>
> Nothing more than that

Two questions:
1. So what does a man have to be wearing to be appealing to you?
2. Why should he care when he's our for a bike ride?

Graham T 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Marek:

1 - Never appealing, just even less appealing wearing lycra.
2 - Not the point in the context of this thread. And to be frank, i don't care what he thinks
Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2) 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Marek:
> (In reply to Graham T)

> 1. So what does a man have to be wearing to be appealing to you?

This: http://tinyurl.com/5wag3n3 ?
 Graham T 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2):

Not sire i want to ask how you knew about that photo. Looks like a perverse roadie to me
 Marek 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2):
> (In reply to Marek)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> This: http://tinyurl.com/5wag3n3 ?

You may laugh (I hope), but it looks pretty (?) aero to me. Put some team logos on there and it's not far off a TT skinsuit.

Graham T 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Marek:

Maybe that should be contadors, prison uniform (yeah I know he won't get locked up for cheating - mores the pity)
Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2) 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Marek:
> (In reply to Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2))
> [...]
>
> You may laugh (I hope), but it looks pretty (?) aero to me. Put some team logos on there and it's not far off a TT skinsuit.

It's PVC, I think. It'd chafe like an absolute bugger for about 30 seconds, then you'd start to drown in your own sweat...
 LastBoyScout 31 Mar 2011

There's a chap lives somewhere near me that wears black lycra shorts and a skin tight orange top. He's so portly, he rests his gut on the top tube! I've even seen him in the local supermarket in said attire!

Anyway, I'm off to test my new bib knickers...
 AlisonSmiles 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Graham T:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> I just can't say that the sight of a man in skin tight lycra is appealing in the slightest. Thats all.
>

Depends on the man, frankly. I have a lot of experience in this area (work at the velodrome).
 girlymonkey 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Graham T:
> Simply put no one looks good in lycra and it shouldn't be inflicted on people. (Only exclusion is in the swimming pool).

NO, lycra should never be worn, no exceptions for swimming pools!!! It's just wrong! It doesn't matter whether someone is fat or not, it's still wrong. If you are in the olympics, I will let it slip (reluctantly!), but other than that there is no excuse. If lycra is comfiest on a bike, then wear baggies over it!
 Graham T 31 Mar 2011
Yes however, you have a different perspective being female.
Removed User 31 Mar 2011
 Graham T 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Removed User:

WTF? Now thats worrying
In reply to Graham T: When i go out on my bike im not dressed to impress. Do you care alot about how other men take to your attire. Are you wavering either side of the boundary between being gay and straight? If you race a bike and do long 80mile training rides the need for such clothing becomes very apparent.
 Graham T 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Chateauneuf du Boeuf:
I wondered how long it would take before gay accusations came out.
As it happens I am happily straight. And no I don't care about what others think I look like, but again thats not the point, I think lycra looks wrong, and as its my opinion I am entitled to it.
Clearly your need to justify yourself on here raises the question that you are self concious about wearing lycra yourself.
 Tall Clare 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Graham T:

what about runners? Is wearing running tights acceptable? Is women wearing lycra okay?
 Graham T 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

Don't tend to notice runners to be honest, and those that I see around seem to wear shorts rather than lycra.
With women wearing lycra - it depends. Same as most women would say it depends on the man wearing the lycra.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=125833

second post as a nice example of all thats bad about lycra
 steev 31 Mar 2011

Wow.

Genuinely surprised at how easily offended some people's sensibilities are.

Is it really so bad to see the shape of another human's body?
In reply to Graham T:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> Don't tend to notice runners to be honest, and those that I see around seem to wear shorts rather than lycra.
> With women wearing lycra - it depends. Same as most women would say it depends on the man wearing the lycra.

Why do you care?

Nick - happy to wear Lycra to cycle and run.
 Graham T 31 Mar 2011

Surely you should be asking why it matters what I think.
If you want to wear it then fine, I still think it looks wrong.
 Pagan 31 Mar 2011

> Why do you care?

I suspect one of two possible reasons.

1) People who are capable of wearing lycra and, heaven forbid, not giving a shit about it somehow intimidate him

or

2) The sight of those lycra clad bulges give him faint twinges of arousal and this is causing him some confusion.
 climbingpixie 31 Mar 2011
In reply to girlymonkey:

> NO, lycra should never be worn, no exceptions for swimming pools!!! It's just wrong! It doesn't matter whether someone is fat or not, it's still wrong. If you are in the olympics, I will let it slip (reluctantly!), but other than that there is no excuse. If lycra is comfiest on a bike, then wear baggies over it!

WTF?? Do you swim in a burkha then?

I can't believe the attitudes in this thread. Some people need to stop worrying so much about what other people want to wear and get out on their bikes more. Lycra is by far the most comfortable thing to cycle in, whether I'm commuting, MTBing or out for a road ride.

In reply to Graham T:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> Surely you should be asking why it matters what I think.

I can think of few things that matter less, just wondering.

Graham T 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Pagan:

Haha class, I love some of the amateur pschologists on here, and again with the gay thing, I'm sure there must be an internet rule about that one by now.
Sorry wrong on both counts, simply a personal opinion thats all.
I'm afraid it also amuses me how some people can get so worked up when someone expresses an opinion that they seem to take as a personal insult.

And Nick, I am forced to agree with you, my opinion should matter very little to people on here, yet it seems to affect people none the less.
 TimB 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Graham T:

Pro cyclists don't help themselves with this kind of colour scheme

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/sagan-shines-in-gent-wevelgem-finale...

Personally I even wear (tasteful black) lycra when mountain biking (XC not DH!). If you don't have any kind of ballet-dancer-phobia or body shame issues then it's the most comfortable stuff. Am I going to hell now?
 Siward 01 Apr 2011
In reply to steev:
>
> Wow.
>
> Genuinely surprised at how easily offended some people's sensibilities are.
>
> Is it really so bad to see the shape of another human's body?

I don't mind cyclists wearing what they find comfortable- lycra has its place I suppose. Its the need for people to plaster themselves with ridiculous slogans/branding that I find egotistical and slightly sad.

But each to his own

http://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/dt/tailoredoutfits/tailored-outfits-sub1/
 doz generale 01 Apr 2011

Just look at these muppets

http://tinyurl.com/3cfovy6
 ripper 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Flatus Vetus: I'll happily wear lycra shorts and shirt on my bike, see nothing wronog with that. Team strip is a little silly for yer average punter BUT wearing bright colours rather than black is definitely a good idea if you want dozy motorists to notice you before they run you down...
as for swimming, I totally agree that lycra should NOT be worn in the water. It should be perfectly clear to any right-thinking person that swimming is far better done naked.
 Rubbishy 01 Apr 2011

Unless racing lycra on the mtb is a no no.

Punters in full team kit is a crime - seems a Nigel in full Sky kit has replaced the Derek in full Disco Channel kit.

For me it is lycra because is comfy, especially in the wet - I have a pile of old skool tops from 80's plus the fabled UKC top.

I am told Enty wears the full Castorama kit from 1991.
johnj 01 Apr 2011

I do about 50 miles a week in my normal clothes on me bike proper old skool like with me trousers tucked into me socks so i don't get any bletch on em. I haven't seen anyone riding with a banana tucked down the front of their lycra tho'.
 Bean Head 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Enty:

This thread needs a picture of Cipollini:

http://tinyurl.com/3q24g9w

Rob
 Enty 01 Apr 2011
In reply to John Rushby:

"à la Walko"

E
 trinity 01 Apr 2011

basically you cant cvycle any distance in comfort in 'normal clothes'. I commute 10 miles to work and ten back if i wore jeans my arse would be in tatters just live with it!

Its kind of like saying does every crap climviber have to wear toe crunching muiras etc
 The New NickB 01 Apr 2011
In reply to Bean Head:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> This thread needs a picture of Cipollini:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3q24g9w
>
That is so wrong, I want one.
OP Anonymous 01 Apr 2011

Totally agree what ever happend to a pair of shorts and a T shirt??

I don't understand it to be honest. I did a 600 mile cycle trip last summer with 5 others. I wore a pair of nike trainers, general shorts with padded cycling shorts underneath and a general sports/wicking t shirt I had no problems at all. The rest of my group wore the full racing colours and if im being honest looked like proper knobs!!

One thing that I friging hate is people who wear the skin tight clothing for the commute to work..Tossers if you ask me lol. I'm cycling Lands end to John O'Groats this summer and have no intention of buying any tight cycling clothes. I will wear general sports clothing that I wear for the gym, playing football etc.

There aint no way you will get me wearing that tight stuff.
 Arms Cliff 02 Apr 2011
In reply to Anonymous:
>
> I did a 600 mile cycle trip last summer with 5 others.

In how long? 4 days? 4 weeks? It does make quite a difference.
 FunkyNick 02 Apr 2011
Aaaaah yes... as climbers are just sooo cool...

http://www.karabiner.org/gallery/fullsize/nov2004dinner/FrenchLycra.jpg

http://www.supertopo.com/photos/1/85/140028_4061_L.jpg

I'm sure I've heard of a certain Mr Rubbishy climbing whilst wearing Tapir skin hot-pants as well..

Need I go on?

OP Anonymous 02 Apr 2011
In reply to Arms Cliff:

7 days = we averaged between 75 and 80 miles a day (Mountain bikes) the route was a mix of road and off road trails/national cycle routes.

Still wouldn't get me wearing the tight stuff even if I was knocking out 100miles plus a day on the road. To me its just an unnecessary expense when normal sports clothing works fine. The only bike specific clothing I wear is padded shorts under my normal shorts/track suit bottoms.
 Rubbishy 02 Apr 2011
In reply to FunkyNick:

I only wear those for you, and it is the skin of fixie riding London media types.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...