UKC

Donegal Info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alan moore 31 Mar 2011
Have a family week in Donegal coming up. Have the guide but would anyone know:
How much does the tide effect climbing at Malin Beg?
Mucross Head; any good?
Just how vegetated/slow drying are the mountain routes?
Particularly interested in Di/Triversion and Tarquin's Groove at Lough Barra.
Thanks.
 auld al 31 Mar 2011
 Niall 31 Mar 2011
In reply to alan moore:

You'll get more accurate answers on the forums at climbing.ie or colmcilleclimbers.com
 Tim Sparrow 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Niall: I'll post this on to a guy who will be only too glad to help, he's probably on UKC but don't know his posting name.
 iain miller 31 Mar 2011
In reply to alan moore:
Malin Beg is prone to SW motion and catches all the lumps coming in, it the sea is calm most of the routes are non tidal. Cruit Island is a good alternative as it has crags facing all directions and climbing is possible in all sea states. (it's an hours drive up the coast from Malin Beg)
Mucros Head is excellent if you are operating at E1/E4, if you are a sub E leader then one day's climbing and you'll have done all the routes. It is also prone to SW motion.
Di/Triversion is the quickest drying bit of rock in the Donegal mountains, needs two full days of dry weather. Tarquin's Groove is the crags drainage line and needs about a week of dry weather.
http://www.pete-smith.co.uk/dynamic/guidebook/index.php is the current guide site.
Hope this helps.
Iain
andyathome 31 Mar 2011
In reply to iain miller:
Triversion? On Bingorm? Maaaan. I did that in autumn a few years ago and got eaten alive on the route and actually hoped I would as it might be less painful than falling to my death from the vertical vegetation. Severe? Its a full on survival experience!
OP alan moore 31 Mar 2011
In reply to alan moore: Thanks all.
 Inishowen 31 Mar 2011
In reply to alan moore: Hi, it would be handy to know where your'e staying local to. We can make doorstep suggestions and if you send a message via the secretary we may be able to provide a local climbing partner. There's plenty of unrepeated stuff, if your'e of an adventurous climber. Peter Cooper.
 Niall 31 Mar 2011
In reply to Inishowen:

Alright Pete, how're you keeping?
 pt811 01 Apr 2011
In reply to andyathome:
> (In reply to iain miller)
> Triversion? On Bingorm? Maaaan. I did that in autumn a few years ago and got eaten alive on the route and actually hoped I would as it might be less painful than falling to my death from the vertical vegetation. Severe? Its a full on survival experience!

There are little or no midges until June and I dont remember much vegetation on Triversion, you must have been off the route abit.
 pt811 01 Apr 2011
In reply to alan moore: Where are you staying in Donegal? I live near Letterkenny and climb all over the county at the weekends and go to our local crag in the evenings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...