UKC

NEWS: Fri Night Vid - Derek Hersey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Apr 2011
The late great Derek Hersey on Lichen to Like 5.10d R, Blob Rock. , 4 kbMany readers of UKC will remember the late Derek Hersey. Derek, born in Manchester, served his apprenticeship in the Peak and Wales then moved to the USA where he became famous for his solo ascents, mainly in Colorado.

Whether you have heard of Derek or not, the clips below from Front Range Freaks provide a fitting tribute to this remarkable man and climber.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=61379

DaveHK 01 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Remarkable character.
 Adam Long 01 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant. One of my all time favourite climbing films.
 nbonnett 01 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC

Made me grin

Ps is it me or does gaz make Tony (R)look old ?

Tuftynick 01 Apr 2011
Wow superb film.
 PontiusPirate 01 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Shamefacedly, I was completely unaware of him until I saw that part of 'Front Range Freaks' - never looked at that bit in the corner of Grindleford Cafe in the same way since...

PP.
 Jimbo C 01 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Good film. I started reading the sub-titles and then thought, hang on, I can hear what he's saying more easily than the people who aren't subtitled.
 tonanf 01 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: thanks for showing that.
 KarlH 01 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic film. You really feel you get to know Derek through this. His parents were amazing. They put a grin on my face.
 Enty 01 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Mick, that third video clip is one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

E
chill100 02 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: I feel nothing but respect for the man and how he chose to live his life.
In reply to UKC News:

Really good to see these clips of Derek again. Derek was a great guy; I climbed with him in the late 70's and early 80's and witnessed some amazing solos from him after our humble beginnings on the grit. He had amazing drive, commitment and tenacity. It was a great loss to climbing when he died..
DaveBear 02 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Spent a lot of time with Derek when he lived in Boulder---a truly great guy! He had unquenchable thirst for brews, even when we were working snow shovelling used to have to break every few hours for me to drive through deep snow to find an open cafe! A great loss in so many ways . . .
 Jonny2vests 02 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Went to Eldorado Canyon last year on honeymoon, so soloing something like the Naked Edge (massive and full on at E4) has real perspective, mind boggling indeed. I've only ever seen the abridged version of this film, thanks for posting, top bloke.
Tom Knowles 02 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic footage. I think it's so easy to be critical of soloists, to class them as "loners" with character flaws. If those videos tell us anything, it's that Derek was a man of remarkable character and far from being a loner. The tributes that were being paid, the memories of the man, were as sincere and as poignant as I've come across. A man who lived his life with passion.
 jazzyjackson 02 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Hersey is such a legend. An absolute natural both physically and mentally.
We're lucky to have any footage at all of him climbing considering the era.

The way he moves even during moments of extreme seriousness is unfathomable.

Looks to me like he squeezed at least 2 lifetimes of routes into his short time.

This Front Range Freaks film blew my mind when I first saw it and continues to do so. I've shown it to many non-climbers and it always goes down well. An excellent little film which really conveys the man and his deeds.

Good post : )

In reply to UKC News:

A lovely bloke.

Life/climbing was never boring when he was around!
Mark Leach 02 Apr 2011
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet: Derek was a great character. I have loads of fantastic memories of him. Not only was he an excellent climber he was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. Although, I never climbed with him I shared many a pub evenings with him along with various dosses in Stoney in the late 70's and early 80's. Derek was a true legend he led the life many want. One evening in the "Moon" he told me he had just spent his dole cheque on beer and had to survive for the next two weeks, which he did of course.

Derek I am proud to have known you as a friend. Where ever you are now, I know you will be laughing and going forward full tilt.

Mark Leach
 kenkenyon 03 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: I have to say I'd never heard of Derek but was intrigued by some of the comments and his achievements. Via Wikipedia I then found this link to a US forum. Amazing reading: 4 pages of stories which I couldn't stop reading until I reached the end. http://www.mountainproject.com/v/colorado__rocky_mountain_region/derek_hers...
 iforwms 03 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: Amazing footage, and an amazing guy!
 john arran 03 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Good to read about Derek again. He was a unique character, sticking the v's up to the rat race in the most endearing and inoffensive way, and thoroughly enjoying his alternative take on getting the most out of life. A real breath of fresh air and the source of many a happy Eldo memory.

Total respect for his attitude, his character and his climbing ability. Bloody fool to get himself killed though, with so many routes left to climb and so many 'Toofsheaf' left to drink!
 Mike Owen 03 Apr 2011
Great article UKC. Fond memories of a really wonderful bloke. I can remember 2 great days soloing together in the Peak and at Tremadog in the 80's. He had one of the most genuine smiles and a great laugh too. He can still make us all smile. Magic!
 AndyP 03 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: I remember reading of his death at the time, seems like it was only a couple of years ago. He still is an inspirational figure. His legend will grow and grow. When I see pictures of him they always remind me of traditional images of Jesus; Turin shroud etc.
Rest in peace Holy Hersey of the Sacred Stone and Prophet of the Peak.
 sugy 03 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: I remember him from my days at stony. I was only pushing into E1 and knew him thro. Craig Smith. My grade of climbing made no difference. Lovely man. Friendly. Good sense of humour. Gentle. Very sad to hear of his end
Craig Smith 04 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

I climbed with Derek a lot in the early 80's. We used to live near each other in Manchester, so would hitch out to Stoney together at the weekends to meet up with folk. He taught me much about climbing and life. One of his classic solos at the time was The Sloth at the Roaches. Derek would solo it regardless of conditions even when it was raining and usually did 10 pull ups, feet dangling, on the lip before finishing the final crack.

I was sad to see him leave for the States in the mid 80's, but given the grimness that was unfolding due to the Tory idiots in power at the time I don't blame him. I met with him a few times in Boulder and Boston and he seemed very happy. I met him in Boston about a month before he died and I recorded an interview with him, intending to write it up for one of the rags. I still have the cassette, but haven't been able to listen to it because I know it would be too painful.

RIP Derek. I miss you mate.

Craig
 Fidmark 04 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: Wow. He looks like one of the most genuine and interesting people you could ever hope to meet... sad but really inspiring video.
 Mark Kemball 04 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: Lovely guy, Derek. I knew him well back in the Stoney Dossing Days, but only climbed with him once or twice. Great dole climber, I remember him scrounging a lift back from Avon to Manchester in our minibus "Heard there was a job fair in Bristol, so we decided to get out of town".
In reply to UKC News:

Am just proud to have been one of the privileged ones to have known Derek.

He just lived life to the full and sacrificed so much to go climbing. I have known some amazing characters through climbing but somehow the way he lived his life he was probably the most amazing of them all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...