UKC

OI NEWS: New Wall for Brighouse - ROKT

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 07 Apr 2011
Plans for the ROKT wall in brighouse, 3 kbA new wall for Brighouse in West Yorkshire has opened and there is a launch party on 16 April.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3626
 PeteH 07 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Hmmm, I'm intrigued as to how that weird grid of leading/top-roping walls is supposed to work!

Pete.
 ianburton 07 Apr 2011
In reply to PeteH: Hey Pete. they are silos and made of solid concrete, they are about 3.5x4 meters square i think and big enough once 3 walls are clad to allow 3 teams to climb, their will be 15 in total when they are all finished, so plenty of space.

They are going to be top rope and lead and also tooling climbs, we have been playing around with some alp kit dry tooling things that simulate axes and are great fun. http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16500&...

I hope you make it down to try the place out.

Cheers

Ian
 grubes 07 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:
They held their first climbing competition last night.
It was a varsity competition between Hudds uni and Bradford uni. Everyone seemed reasonably impressed with the place.
In reply to UKC Gear: Yup, things are finally coming together! Still a bit of setting work to finish off on the boulder walls, and the holds need to bed in a bit but overall really good
Rudi B 07 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Its so good! Such a good vibe, and even though its only bouldering at the moment, there's still a lot to have a go at. Everyones really friendly and welcoming, get yourselves down there!
 Tall Clare 07 Apr 2011
In reply to Rudi B:

Planning on heading down in the next couple of weeks - looking forward to it. Very intrigued by how the silos will work in practice.
 carl dawson 07 Apr 2011
In reply to grubes:

Who won?
Rudi B 07 Apr 2011
In reply to carl dawson:

Huddersfield
 grubes 07 Apr 2011
In reply to carl dawson:
Huddersfield won 587 to 569 points so pretty close.

The top scorer was a french climber from bradford who scored 42 more points than second place. That guy was strong.

I have a load of photos up on my flickr but most of them were not so great.
In reply to grubes:

Pretty interestd in how the Soloing crash mat on the website is going to work.... as an aside I thought the website seemed a bit cluttered in design from a laymans point of view.
 Kid Spatula 07 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Yeah looking forward to going, but the website is hideous.
 Bulls Crack 07 Apr 2011
In reply to PeteH:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Hmmm, I'm intrigued as to how that weird grid of leading/top-roping walls is supposed to work!
>
> Pete.

Me too. Had a look in and they look cramped + all vertical + toproped. More interested in the big lead walls.
 Bulls Crack 07 Apr 2011
In reply to PeteH:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Hmmm, I'm intrigued as to how that weird grid of leading/top-roping walls is supposed to work!
>
> Pete.

Yes me too. Are there any gently overhanging walls at all ie good training ones?
 JSA 07 Apr 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to PeteH)
> [...]
>
> Yes me too. Are there any gently overhanging walls at all ie good training ones?

There will (hopefully)be one of the lead walls opening for the 16th, to the left of the comp bouldering wall.
 agolay 07 Apr 2011
Went there on Tuesday and was really impressed, the boulderings good and the plans they've got are really exciting, im guna go to their opening day to see whats going on
 ianburton 07 Apr 2011
In reply to agolay: Good on ya. get down for the 16th and come and play, plans are afoot for an amazing day.

We have all sorts of stuff going on, like slacklining (we are planning on having a line over the river for the bravest of slackers!)

Fire juggling and other circus stuff,

Charity abseils,

Boulder comps with a ÂŁ100 cash prize,

Best slackline trick with a cash prize.

Pies and peas

Beer

great music

and leo Houlding

It's going to be SICK

More details to follow.
 Karl Bromelow 07 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Most disturbingly the decking has been placed the wrong side up. It's manufactured with grooves on the intended lower surface to permit air to circulate between the decking timbers and the bearers and to retard the rate of rot. Or so I'm reliably told. I know it looks good that way up but it's just storing up trouble for the future ; )

PeteH 07 Apr 2011
In reply to ianburton:
Cheers for the reply Ian.

Interesting layout of the grid bit, hopefully that will work out okay for you guys. The layout of the rest of the place looks great though, and the alcohol license/chill room/deck by the river combo is fantastic.

I may well be working near there from August, so will defo pop in if so.

Pete.
 JSA 07 Apr 2011
In reply to Karl Bromelow:

It has grooves on both sides...
In reply to JSA:

Has it? Not on the vertical pieces in the gate and on the table tops. The air circulation theory may be an urban myth though.

This seems to offer sound advice: http://www.deckmaster.net.au/faqs.htm
 JSA 07 Apr 2011

It's all tanalised timber so it will be fine, I think two thicknesses have been used on the job, thicker for the deck itself and the thinner stuff for the gate, table tops etc..
In reply to JSA: All the pine decking here in Vic, Australia is tanalised too but the tradies all lay it reeds down because of the wet climate. I hope they're wrong and you're right 'cos I laid mine the wrong way up too, before somebody with more experience pointed out my "mistake" : (

I do know it's harder to brush and clean with he grooves up and is actually more slippy in the direction of the reeding when wet. Good luck with the wall. Looks really fun. I'll be sure to visit next time I can afford the flights back home.

Cheers, Karl
 EBclimbing 08 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: It's only upside down cos your in Australia mate. It's the right way up in this country
cadvis3d 08 Apr 2011
The guys on-site have done a great job so far (myself and my dad even got 'roped' into helping out!) and as mentioned previously there is still much to do, including phase 3, which is still in its development stages, but will be fantastic...

Also a shameless plug if i may....cadvis3d's new offices will also be located in the same building so feel free to pop down for a chat and coffee if you have any architectural projects that you need assistance with...

thanks and hope to see you all there on the 16th...

paul

cadvis3d 08 Apr 2011

The grooves are on both sides with some boards. The grooves also help channel water away and prevent pooling on the surface.

The theory kind of works, but things like moss and slime build up anyway and make them slippy. But so long as you keep cleaning them down they should be ok. The air will circulate around the boards no matter which way you install them and wont make a difference.

thats my 2 cents anyway!
 Bulls Crack 08 Apr 2011
In reply to cadvis3d:

There's one thing I don't envy you chaps and that's the hoovering in that place!. At least you can chill out on the terrace and watch the salmon
 monkeyman79 08 Apr 2011
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Most disturbingly the decking has been placed the wrong side up. It's manufactured with grooves on the intended lower surface to permit air to circulate between the decking timbers and the bearers and to retard the rate of rot. Or so I'm reliably told. I know it looks good that way up but it's just storing up trouble for the future ; )

I'm disturbed that we're talking about decking on a thread about a climbing gym. Yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnn. Rokt is a place for climbers to climb and socialize. Not to talk about the finer points of joinery.
 ianburton 08 Apr 2011
In reply to monkeyman79: good point. I was just about to point every ones attention to the uber f*@kin steep bouldering wall. the decking is cool though. especially when the sun is setting
 a13x 09 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

Soloing crash pad? Sounds cool, how high will it be?
 AlistairB 09 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Do you guys have any idea when the lead walls might be up and running by? If you're going to have stuff 25m+ that will be quite an attraction, there's not many UK walls where you can get that length of route in.
 ianburton 09 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Right Guys, the slackline over the river is rigged for next saturdays Party. get down and try it out. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1977603961105&set=o.116057135099...
 JSA 09 Apr 2011
In reply to ianburton:

My hands are hurting from pulling that rope tight time and again!
 ianburton 09 Apr 2011
In reply to JSA: haha, try pulling yourself across it time and again. lol. i have blisters…from the rope that is!!
 JSA 09 Apr 2011
In reply to ianburton:

I've decided that after all that hard work I'm going to give it a try...My challenge will be to actually get over the water
 ianburton 09 Apr 2011
In reply to JSA: Go for it. it'll be ace to do it its fun just being standing on the line above the water. need to practice now. for next saturday.
 JSA 09 Apr 2011
In reply to ianburton:

I'll bring my shorts on Monday evening!
 ianburton 09 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Apart from the slackline we have set up over the river, we are also setting up a slackline over pads to practice for a lining comp we have running before the cash prize boulder comp in the evening of the 16th (next Saturday)
 monkeyman79 09 Apr 2011
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=116057135099510
This link will take you to the facebook group for Rokt. All questions and suggestions welcome. Some amazing phots up there too. Also looking for freelance intructors at the moment. Feel free to drop in a CV or get in touch via e-mail
 stephen Rowley 09 Apr 2011
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Most disturbingly the decking has been placed the wrong side up. It's manufactured with grooves on the intended lower surface to permit air to circulate between the decking timbers and the bearers and to retard the rate of rot. Or so I'm reliably told. I know it looks good that way up but it's just storing up trouble for the future ; )

Being an ex B&Q employee. I can tell you that they are right. Usually one side is smooth and the other grooved the boards are reversible. Groves will make no difference to how they rot, The board will be pressure treated but will eventually have to replaced.

It looks like a good wall moving over to Leeds n few months so I'll have to pop over at some point.
 stephen Rowley 09 Apr 2011
In reply to stephen Rowley:

Also could do without the bad dance music in the vids.
 Jonny2vests 11 Apr 2011
In reply to AlistairB:
> (In reply to UKC Gear) If you're going to have stuff 25m+ that will be quite an attraction, there's not many UK walls where you can get that length of route in.

Just the one as far as I'm aware. Where does it say 25m+?
 ianburton 11 Apr 2011
In reply to jonny2vests: The next phase of the build will be the construction of a 28 meter high wall, with 33 meters of climbing because of the steep profile. not bad! the lead wall being built now is 20 meters, so not to be sniffed at!
 Jonny2vests 11 Apr 2011
In reply to ianburton:
> (In reply to jonny2vests) The next phase of the build will be the construction of a 28 meter high wall, with 33 meters of climbing because of the steep profile. not bad! the lead wall being built now is 20 meters, so not to be sniffed at!

Excellent! Glad to see a new wall with some decent height, so bored of sub 15m walls.
 Bulls Crack 14 Apr 2011
In reply to ianburton:
> (In reply to jonny2vests) The next phase of the build will be the construction of a 28 meter high wall, with 33 meters of climbing because of the steep profile. not bad! the lead wall being built now is 20 meters, so not to be sniffed at!

How many routes are you planning on, on the lead walls?
 JSA 14 Apr 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Overall there will be something in the region of 500+ routes when the whole centre is complete.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...