UKC

NEWS: PHOTO GALLERY: Piolets d'Or 2011

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 18 Apr 2011
The Greenland Big Wallers start jamming at the Piolets d'Or 2011, 5 kbThe Piolets d'or 2011 ceremony was held in Chamonix, France over the weekend of the 16th and 17th of April. The prestigious golden ice axe has been awarded to the Japanese 'Mount Logan' expedition and also the Belgian/USA/UK 'Greenland Big Walls' expedition.

Here we see the winners and the award ceremony in a gallery of photographs.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=61728

Ackbar 18 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: You can get a piolet d'or for deep water soloing now? :-D Congrats.
 TobyA 18 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: Very impressive ascents, but is it just me, or is the whole Villanueva/Favressse lets-do-some-folk-jamming shtick starting to wear a bit thin?
 Harry Ellis 18 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: They should have got Beth Ditto to sing! She's a big lass for a big waller!?
 Damo 18 Apr 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to UKC News) Very impressive ascents, but is it just me, or is the whole Villanueva/Favressse lets-do-some-folk-jamming shtick starting to wear a bit thin?

Yeh, dang hippies!

Is it true the Piolet d'Or has Dress Regulations? That everyone over 50 tucks their shirt into their pants (Bonington, Shepton, Child, Bonatti), whereas everyone under 50 has to look like they just woke up?

pneame 19 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:
Fabulous. Very deserved.
 aln 19 Apr 2011
In reply to Damo: Is your 2nd name Suzuki?
ice.solo 19 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:

cool shots. like the big projection of scott. saw him talk when he still looked like that - changed me (especially my hair style).

saw okada a few times over winter. deserves an award for being such a nice guy.

that big wallin off a boat looks great doesnt it?
 TonyG 19 Apr 2011
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Damo) Is your 2nd name Suzuki?

Mother Sky, baby...

jameshiggins 19 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: It's a shame UKc that you make no mention of the UK nominees, especially the fantastic achievement of Malcolm Bass and Paul Figg.

Jim
M0nkey 19 Apr 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to UKC News) Very impressive ascents, but is it just me, or is the whole Villanueva/Favressse lets-do-some-folk-jamming shtick starting to wear a bit thin?

I think it's just you. I did a route with Sean at fairhead last year and it was awesome when he produced (a la Ron Burgundy) his tin whistle from up his sleeve at the belay and proceeded to play while the other two of us led and followed the next pitch.
Harrison's Rock 19 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News: Did anyone notice the difference between the Alpinist report and the piolet site? - seems there might have been a bolt involved on the Greenland boat trip? Piolet site = "in excellent style, using neither bolts nor pitons, and traversing the peaks after the climbs. In the popular sport of big wall climbing, this showed that it is possible to make these ascents completely clean." Alpinist newswire = "The Greenland expedition placed one bolt over the course of their nine climbs. The team's written report stated the placement of a bolt, but when asked about it after the ceremony, several jury members said that they were unaware of that fact. -Ed."
More controversy for the piolets or just a bolt?
 JuneBob 20 Apr 2011
In reply to UKC News:
Kind of regret not taking up Bob's offer to go on a climbing trip to greenland now...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...